Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rates of pay international schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
auslestat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Rates of pay international schools Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried a search for rates of pay for international schools, with little success - probably as most of you teach (and therefore comment mostly on) University level.

Anyway, I am unfamiliar with what is a decent salary for working at an international school in the U.A.E. So if you could help that would be great. I am certifed in my home country, with a B.Ed, with experience there at the primary level (3 years) and overseas government schools (3 years).

Thanks, even if you couldn't help but took the time to look.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have already found, we are mostly university level here... just because there are not that many ESL/EFL teachers at primary level - and few of those that are there come to post here.

So, just a guesstimate here, but I'd say that depending on the status of the school and what they think of your CV, you are looking at perhaps 8000 - 12000 DHs a month with varying benefit packages. If no housing is provided you would want to be at the top of that scale, if housing is provided, offers may be at the lower end.

Once you start applying, try to do as much checking as you can on the schools as it seems that the worst stories are about some of these 'international' schools with bad management and unruly students. Check it out here and try to communicate with current and past teachers to get the real story on the situation.

Good Luck

VS
The_Hanged_Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the UNI recruiting fair this past Feb, and have the info on several American schools in the UAE. I won't list the names to avoid any potentials issues, but here are the salary ranges listed for the UAE schools there.
School #1: $22,492-36,471
#2: 25,000-$35,000
#3: 27,200-41,279
#4: 30,000-35,000
These above rates are pretty consistant with most of the Gulf States except for Saudi which usually pay more (One school paid 42,000-103,320!!!). The British schools mostly pay more, but usually offer less in terms of benefits such as medical coverage and professional development.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my estimates were pretty good (based on what people have posted here in the last few years).

Just to point out one detail... the number of schools that offer the highest pay are in the minority. There are dozens of 'international' schools, many of whom claim to be 'American' or 'British' but have no students of that nationality. The schools where the diplomatic corps and most expats send their kids are at the highest pay scale... AND... the most competitive to get a job. They also will hire mostly their own nationalities.

Good Luck auslestat!

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: