Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian looking for Teaching Job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candace_savlov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Canadian looking for Teaching Job Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I just returned home (Toronto, Canada) about 5 months ago after living in Australia for a year studying to get my Masters of Teaching degree at Griffith Uni in Queensland Australia. I miss it so much that i am planning on heading back there in October. THis time i'll be living in Sydney. I'm completing my TESL certificate right now as well.

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a teaching job (either primary or ESL) in Sydney. Also if anyone has worked in certain ESL schools i'd love to get that information from you too!

I am registerd with the QCT and am in the process of being registered to teach in NSW.

Any information would help!

thanks!

Candace
moot point

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Why didn't you opt to remain in Oz. after the completion of your MA and begin searching for teaching jobs in Queensland right away?
candace_savlov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to stay but I had my cousin's wedding I was marching in as well as my brother's wedding who I was a made of honor for. I kind of wanted to be home for that, if you know what i mean? hehe

so do you think its easier for me to just find a job when I return there in Oct? I'm thinking it might be too early to look for a job right now for Oct.

have any advice?

Candace
moot point

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you some background, Candace, I'm also a Canadian who's planning to move to Australia next year. I'll also be doing an MTeach degree but have opted to do it through JCU in Cairns as opposed to Griffith, mainly because of the additional 5 points up for grabs by studying in a regional area. What will you be doing about a visa, by the way?

The reason I asked why you left is because I hope to seek PR status upon completion of my degree and find a full-time teaching job soon afterwards. From what I've read from various forums, however, is that there appears to be an over-supply of teachers in Australia at the moment (similar story in Ontario).

I have an MA in Teaching ESL and several years experience teaching EFL in Japan, which I thought would be something to fall back upon (or perhaps pursue) if I can't find a position with the Queensland government. I also hope my experience and quals. will help subsidise my cost of living while I'm studying for the next two years by teaching ESL courses with TAFE, at JCU, or at one of the several private schools in the area.

So, why have you decided to take a TEFL certificate to teach in Sydney? Is it just to widen your horizons, or have you given up on being a teacher in the government system in Oz?

And, finally, to answer your question. From what I've heard October is probably a good time to start looking for work. This is when school principals are trying to arrange new staff for the following school year and also when many ESL schools are setting up their staff for the peak summer season.
candace_savlov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't given up on th OZ system at all. I just completed my Masters last month. My Masters degree was 2 years and we were able to do our last semester wherever we wanted b/c it consisted of a thesis and a 3 month teaching internship. I came back to Toronto to do it b/c i felt that being involved in a school here would help me get a job come this september. Unfortunately I have not heard anything yet from the Toronto district School Board or the York Board. I figured that getting a TESL certificate can only help me and help broaden my teaching experience.

As well, I have decided that Australia is the place where i would love to liver for a few years. I made such amazing friends down there and i can't wait to see them again.

Since I have no commitments here in Toronto, this is the best time for me to teach abroad. If I get settled with a school board here it is pretty hard to leave and teach somewhere else.

So that's about it. From what I've read and heard its probably best for me to start looking for an ESL job closer to the time I will be arriving in Oz. I am also looking for primary teaching positions as well over there so my TESL certificate is just back up. ESL teachers are always in higher demand than primary teachers so i'd figure it could only help me.

If you hear of any schools that are great to work in please let me know!

As for a visa, I was on a student visa when i was over there and will be applying for a working holiday visa before i go. I don' know how long i'll be there for. It really depends on the job situation.

sorry for the long response. heheh.
Van Norden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an ESL option for Sydney: http://www.acl.edu.au/employment.htm
You can contact them now to get an idea what's available.
candace_savlov

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I'll look into it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: