Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overcoming the lack of an EU passport

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What qualifications does a non-EU citizen need to work in Italy?
120 hour TEFL course and a couple years' experience
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
TEFL course, BA, and a couple years' experience
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
MA in a related field (or non-related MA + TEFL course)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MA and a couple years' experience
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Realistically, only a PhD or massive TEFL expereince (8 year plus)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Overcoming the lack of an EU passport Reply with quote

I figured I'd just start this thread to condense that most important bit of information those who are not from Ireland or the UK, and who cannot dig a passport up from an EU state by way of ancestry.

=====

My CELTA instructor told me that with two or three years EFL experience, my BA, and my CELTA, I would have a chance to find work somewhere in Italy -- most likely Milan, least likely Rome or the isles.

I've read on other threads in the Italy forum that it may well take an MA or a PhD to have a reliable chance to get work in Italy, and many posts saying that it is simply impossible, or, that if you do, your wage won't support your life and you'll have to live on savings.

So, if you're teaching (or especially hiring!) in Italy, please share your thoughts on the following:

-What are the minimum qualifications you think a non-EU citizen would have to have to secure a contract roughly equivalent to the contracts an EU citizen can expect?

-Are these contracts worth it?
jud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Italy, unless an employer is willing to file paperwork for you at the questura (police station), guarantee you a minimum salary for your stay, and present their currently filed accounts (bilancia) to the police station BEFORE you move to Italy, you cannot work here. I don't believe it's a question of experience, though obviously a new teacher with a B.A. would have an especially impossibile chance, if such a thing exists. Maybe a teacher with many years experience or a Masters would have a better chance, but not with most private English schools.

I am American. I work here because I pulled many strings. Many employers would be delighted to have more American teachers, but it is prohibitively costly in terms of time, money, trust, and manpower.

If you can swing it, more power to you, hope to see you soon.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jud wrote:

If you can swing it, more power to you, hope to see you soon.

Sorry.

I'm currently trying to decide if I have the resources to fly into Bangkok, where I'll likely teach a couple years, then get an MFA, then try Rome.

Thanks for the advice -- I hope things have gotten easier by then (due to new EU member countries drawing away Brits and the Irish) instead of harder...
jud

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep-Goats, me too, and good luck.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: New EU members Reply with quote

I very much doubt there'll be a rush of UK and Irish teachers to work in these countries, simply because there are already many of them there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: