Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our local road crew rocks!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Our local road crew rocks! Reply with quote

About six months ago, I encountered something strange when I was riding my motorcycle to the school. It had rained heavily the night before, causing a large brown rock to wash loose from the roadside embankment and roll onto the road. This rock was roughly two cubic feet in size, and it was sitting directly in the middle of the westbound lane, just 50 or 100 meters shy of the university entrance. I realized that in the morning twilight, someone could easily drive into this rock and have an accident, so I pulled over to the shoulder. I walked over to the rock. It was solid stone and weighed far too much to pick up, so I lifted an edge, then tumbled the rock end over end. After a few tries, I managed to roll the large rock onto the narrow shoulder at the base of the embankment.

There, I thought, at least now no one'll have an accident while we wait for a road crew to come along. I hopped on my bike and continued into the school, promptly forgetting about the rock. As I went home that evening, I noted the rock was still sitting at the roadside. I figured eventually one of the many road repair crews here would clear it away.

Yesterday I was riding into work in the morning, and I noticed something: a road crew had come along and painted fresh new lines on the road: yellow to mark the center, and white to mark the pavement edge. As I came to the university, I saw 'my' rock sitting right on the shoulder where it'd sat for six months. The road crew had painted it white! And not just a white stripe overlapping the stone either; they'd painted the entire rock - about the size of a knapsack - pure white! At least now it's very easy to spot it from a distance!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, would be efficient. Now I know you're not really in Mexico. Wink

Oh wait...I just re-read. Six months you say...yeah, you're in Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: