Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBA, useful or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: MBA, useful or not? Reply with quote

is an MBA useful?

if so, in what respects?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what?

This is a board for English teachers... can't see much use for an MBA to teach subject/verb agreement...

VS
Wigwam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an MBA is very useful if you want to get into management within teaching organizations. A friend of a friend who has worked at MLI and other places, got his MBA and has been offered a management job in Morrocco. He has been teaching for a while but needed to move on in his career. An MBA also gives you the flexibility to move out of teaching if you have had enough.
Afra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people at HCT have done an MBA with an educational management focus. Useful in education if you want promotion and useful if you want to move on.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MBA in Educational Management from Leicester University UK is worth checking out
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I find the idea of 'education management' to be a rather horrifying idea. Shocked Could you imagine trying to 'manage' the average Dave's board poster? Herding cats... Laughing Personally I went into EFL because I liked teaching. Of course I had already had a career in business previously and my goal was to never again have to spend my time in interminable boring meetings. ugh...

In all of my years teaching around the Gulf, I never met anyone in management in the EFL area that had an MBA, so apparently employers don't consider it a requirement (nor have I seen it asked for in a job advert). At HCT those with them were teaching in the business department. Perhaps there were some over in the ivory towers of the admin building in AD, but they had no relationship to EFL.

But it could be a ticket out of EFL to a better job and career... Or if one of your goals is to eventually start your own language school somewhere.

VS
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my previous post regarding MBA and education management, the people I was thinking about are EFL teachers with some degree of responsibility within the system. It certainly isn't a requirement of employment but it's a way up the ladder for teachers not particularly interested in Linguistics who need a post-graduate qualification. This is current information; education, like everything else, moves on. Even in the Gulf.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really move that much onward... people just paste on new degrees... degree creep rather like the grade creep thing... a problem all over academia, not just the ME...

Funny how in spite of it, the salaries are still stuck in the early 90's and benefit packages drop while teaching hours and class sizes expand...

VS
Wigwam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the private sector in the Gulf, an MBA would be looked upon more favorably than an MA. It is only Universities that, however misguided, insist on teachers having an MA even though the students really need a teacher who can teach and help them learn. Ideally, the ME would not require an MA but rather a teaching qualification that met the demands and needs of the institution, the students and the workforce they were being prepared for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: