Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's life in Vietnam like?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: What's life in Vietnam like? Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian national (male if it makes a difference) who has lived and taught (EFL, yes) in Asia for the past four years. I spent three years and change in Japan, and the last six months or so in China (rural, developing China.) I have a degree (BA Honours in Enlish Lit), experience teaching at private schools (adults) and universities. I'm going to start a distance learning MA in Applied Lingusitics (TESOL) this fall. Although I have work in China for the next year or so, I'm already trying to plan ahead for my next move.

So here are some questions I'd like you hear your thoughts on:

1a. Do people spit, stare at foreingers, and scream "HELLO," laugh, and run away in Vietnam? If so, how bad? Is it everyone, every day (like China?) a once a week thing (like Japan if you're unlucky?) or somewhere in between? I'm not insulting the Vietnamese people here. Pop over to the Chinese forum and you'll see why I ask. Confused

1b. Basically, how welcome are foreigners in Vietnam? Not welcome enough? Too welcome? Resentful of visible minorites? Would I be able to "feel at home" after a while?

2. I've seen the thread about sending money overseas. Is it possible to convert local currency into US$, Euros, Yen, whatever, pretty easily?

3. I hear that Vietnam has a dual pricing system: one price for locals (the cheap one) and the other for expats (seeing how everyone who teaches EFL is a millionare Rolling Eyes ). Is this still enforced pretty ruggedly? Any ways around it? Does it make much of a difference in what you might be able to save?

4. I hear (both on this thread and on the official page of one of the larger school chains in Veitnam) that students are prettys sharp - they study hard and ask sharp questions. I aslo know that Vietnam has had a lot of contact with various cultures from the East (the PRC) and the West (France, USA) - and there are many Cantonese, Madarin, French, English and German speaking Vietnamese. Can I assume that the Vietnamese in general (or at least some of them) are open to new, other ideas? Anyone who has worked in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, or the PRC will know why I might ask this. Just wandering.

5. I know that Veitnam is a developing country, shall we say. I live now in one of the least developed areas of China, so that won't be a total shock. But I'm wandering: Would I be a prime target for beggars? Pickpockets? Burglars? Does anyone feel that Vietnam is an unusally dangerous place to live?

6. How is job security over there? In Japan it's virtually non - existant (for EFLers) despite being a G7 nation with laws, unions etc to protect foreign workers, etc. Is it just a given that you change jobs with the seasons, or is it possible to find a full time job you can do and support yourself on (one worth doing) for a while anyway?

7. What about the edutainment vs real teaching scale? Do employers care/consider/reward people actually interested in teaching doing a good job? Or is it "foreign face sells lessons?" Also, is it possible to (EFL) teach at universities in Vietnam, or is it all private companies?

8. Is teaching adults only possible in Vietnam (In South Korea this is very hard to do without wicked split shifts)? Or at least univeristy/high school students at the very youngest? I like kids, mind you. I just don't feel like the right person to try to teach English to kids I cannot communicate with at all.

9. Do employers offer accomodation? More importantly, do they offer private accomodation? If not, is getting set up in a place of your own a hassle - in other words can expats rent on their own?

10. Is health care difficult to find/get? I'm in my 20s and have no health problems, but I'm wandering if many (any) employers offer health care, and if not what expats usually do about that.

I know it sounds like I'm expecting the Moon to be handed to me on a silver platter. Not so. I just want to get as many of my illusions shattered in advance - the easy way! Very Happy (Don't resent me: I've done it the hard way twice now.)

Vietnam is one of those "mystery countires" like Singapore on this board. Eveyone know teaching goes on there, but it's not as easy to get a picture of life there as, say, Korea, China, Taiwan or Japan. Please, if you can help with even one of my questions, respond! Very Happy PM me! Very Happy Whatever! Very Happy
Cali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lot of questions I will answer what I can...
Quote:
1a. Do people spit, stare at foreingers, and scream "HELLO," laugh, and run away in Vietnam? If so, how bad? Is it everyone, every day (like China?) a once a week thing (like Japan if you're unlucky?) or somewhere in between?

I find that most of the people are fairly polite. You will be asked if you want rides and tours and such, but I find once the local get to know you they will even stop that. So no worries there.

Quote:
1b. Basically, how welcome are foreigners in Vietnam? Not welcome enough? Too welcome? Resentful of visible minorites? Would I be able to "feel at home" after a while?

If you are visablely foreign no problems with being welcome, I think that other Asian looking people can have some problems. I am not sure you will ever feel at home, but welcome yes.

Quote:
2. I've seen the thread about sending money overseas. Is it possible to convert local currency into US$, Euros, Yen, whatever, pretty easily?

It is very easy to convert to US$, but sending money out of the country is not easy, but I am sure you can just put the $$ in to your Canadian Bank account and be done with it.

Quote:
3. I hear that Vietnam has a dual pricing system: one price for locals (the cheap one) and the other for expats (seeing how everyone who teaches EFL is a millionare ). Is this still enforced pretty ruggedly? Any ways around it? Does it make much of a difference in what you might be able to save?

Yep major dual pricing but you get used to it, but i call it a triple pricing system. 1 for locals 1 for tourists, and 1 for expats. As for enforcement it is the locals that do it for the most part though gov does it to to a point see it in air ticket prices but they are coming down as for effecting your savings will still do ok, and no it will not effect you really, cause to them you are a millionare. Once you learn the prices a bit by talking to other expats your cost go down.

Quote:
5. But I'm wandering: Would I be a prime target for beggars? Pickpockets? Burglars? Does anyone feel that Vietnam is an unusally dangerous place to live?

Yes you will be a prime target for beggers again those in your area will get to know you and leave you alone after a while. Pickpockets happen, but being careful can take care of that, just never carry much money. Guys seem to be the target of the pickpockets more than girls. Never heard of burglary. Over all I felt quiet safe, and the last time I was in HCM City I felt even safeer than the last time I was there. The gov is making a real effort to make the tourists feel safe.

Quote:
10. Is health care difficult to find/get? I'm in my 20s and have no health problems, but I'm wandering if many (any) employers offer health care, and if not what expats usually do about that.

Come with your own health care, Travel Cuts will do nicely for you.

Hope this helps can't answer any of the teaching spefic questions cause I worked there but not as a teacher. All of my answers are specific to HCM City as that is what I know, but can't see the rest of the country being that different. Though HCM is the more Westernesed place.

If I can be of more help please ask. BTW everyone will assume you are an Americian and once you get rid of the notion they will be even more friendly. Like most places Canadians have a really good rep there.

A fellow Canadian,
Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. You post was helpful!

Is there anyone with work experience who has imput on the job questions I asked?
hanisay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: whole other world Reply with quote

It's a whole other world as far as the hellos and spitting are concerned. People will say hello often, but I get the distinct feeling their not making fun of me, and if you say hello back, they'll usually start asking you where you're from, what your name is, and want to get to know you. They're very friendly and welcoming for the most part (at least where I am), and almost no spitting action (compared to China), but then there's still lots of peeing on the street.
Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my another answer! Yay!

Sorry for giving up but forgive me for noticing it just now. If anyone wants to answer any more of my questions, please feel free! It's good typing practice! Very Happy

Seriously, any help is appiricated help.
kitkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
1a. Do people spit, stare at foreingers, and scream "HELLO," laugh, and run away in Vietnam? If so, how bad? Is it everyone, every day (like China?) a once a week thing (like Japan if you're unlucky?) or somewhere in between? I'm not insulting the Vietnamese people here. Pop over to the Chinese forum and you'll see why I ask.

People will stare at you, run up to shout 'hello', grasp your arm to ask for money and cyclo drivers may well follow you for a good 10mins trying to convince you of the insanity in trying to walk around the city (and with the incredible pollution and lack of sidewalks, they have a point) - this refers to both Hanoi and HCMC, other places are somewhat calmer.

Quote:

You will never ever feel at home in Vietnam, no matter how many Vietnamese friends you acquire or how well you speak the language. However, the Vietnamese are welcoming - you are, after all, bringing money into their country, and many want to practise their English.

Quote:
3. I hear that Vietnam has a dual pricing system: one price for locals (the cheap one) and the other for expats (seeing how everyone who teaches EFL is a millionare ). Is this still enforced pretty ruggedly? Any ways around it? Does it make much of a difference in what you might be able to save?

There is very much a dual pricing system in effect, and there is absolutely no way around it, however things are still incredibly cheap despite this. Most Vietnamese are extremely poor.

Quote:
4. I hear (both on this thread and on the official page of one of the larger school chains in Veitnam) that students are prettys sharp - they study hard and ask sharp questions. I aslo know that Vietnam has had a lot of contact with various cultures from the East (the PRC) and the West (France, USA) - and there are many Cantonese, Madarin, French, English and German speaking Vietnamese. Can I assume that the Vietnamese in general (or at least some of them) are open to new, other ideas? Anyone who has worked in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, or the PRC will know why I might ask this. Just wandering.

The Vietnamese weren't as difficult to teach as I anticipated - they are open and interested in new ideas. They are used to working very hard at school but that attitude isn't always carried over into the classroom. They are used to being crammed into a tiny room in groups of 50 and merely copying down everything the teacher writes on the blackboard. The relaxed and informal structure of the EFL classroom leads to some of them to regard the class as not a 'real' lesson, requiring effort. On the other hand, those who have only ever been exposed to the formal classroom type of teaching, particularly the older students, find the communicative activities and language games unusual and difficult. However, it is very easy to make Vietnamese students laugh, and breaking through their reservations is not difficult. On the whole, I found my students pretty well motivated and enthusiastic about their classes.

Quote:
5. I know that Veitnam is a developing country, shall we say. I live now in one of the least developed areas of China, so that won't be a total shock. But I'm wandering: Would I be a prime target for beggars? Pickpockets? Burglars? Does anyone feel that Vietnam is an unusally dangerous place to live?

I don't think Vietnam is a dangerous place to live, providing one takes the usual precautions. However, you will very much be a target for thieves. Gangs go around the cities on Hondas, and with great skill and/or a sharp knife, will grab/slash purses and bags from passing tourists. There are also many expert pickpockets around. I was robbed several times, but never hurt.

Quote:
7. What about the edutainment vs real teaching scale? Do employers care/consider/reward people actually interested in teaching doing a good job? Or is it "foreign face sells lessons?" Also, is it possible to (EFL) teach at universities in Vietnam, or is it all private companies?

There are a few reputable schools who do seem to care, at least on the surface, about effective teaching, but the key priority for most of them is to get a 'whitey' in front of the classroom. In HCMC, RMIT (which is a branch of an australian university) seem well organised, though I never personally worked for them - you would be teaching university age students though. ILA is another fairly reliable organization, though you would probably have to teach some kids classes. Both of these schools pay very well, though neither provide accommodation (or at least didn't in 2001).

Quote:
9. Do employers offer accomodation? More importantly, do they offer private accomodation? If not, is getting set up in a place of your own a hassle - in other words can expats rent on their own?

Expats can find their own accommodation but it appears to be a hell of a hassle. It is very expensive (comparatively) for foreigners - that dual pricing system really comes into its own here, and I know of a couple of stories of people losing their deposits, being charged for outrageous things or 'damage' they never caused, having the police constantly called round for no apparent reason amongst other inconveniences.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding staring and the 'hello' syndrom. Vietnam is nothing like China in that regard. For one, there are massive amounts of tourists and backpackers all over anywhere in Vietnam that you would most likely be teaching Vietnam - considering you are most likely going to end up in Hanoi or Saigon. You'll have another thing happen instead however.. which is quite a few people saying 'motorbike motorbike' because its kind of like a taxi. If you buy your own motorbike you'll cut down on that A LOT. My biggest complaint and annoyance with Vietnam was that too many people wanted to make a $1 by giving me a ride on the ol' motorbike. Regarding staring and 'hello' syndrom. Its not like that at all. Also, Vietnamese people smile and laugh constantly.. opposite of China it seems.

Foreigners are very welcome in Vietnam. Actually, I'm an American guy.. and most Vietnamese loved me. Everyone seemed to have family somewhere in the US and often asked me if by chance I might know them and whatever else - this is significantly higher among the people in southern Vietnam. I never had any problem whatsoever there.. and there is a lot of excitement in the air there. People didn't seem to have any resentment whatsoever. They were more excited to be having westerners in their country.. as well as the possibility of having outside interest as well as money enter their country. I was very well-received everywhere I went. (Just as an aside.. as an American.. the 'American War' as they call it.. was just a fairly small and short one along a very long progression of constant wars with predominately France and China.. and then later with Cambodia (after the 'American War' ended). As an American, most Vietnamese seemed to have a lot of pride about winning that one as well as winning against every other kind of colonial (French) and China (tried to invade) powers. I noted you were Canadian, so naturally the would probably be interest in you as well as some Vietnamese have went there as well as the French connection with Quebec. So you'd he well-received as well.

Regarding dual pricing systems. Anything with 'English' on the menu seems to have higher prices. Also, they do seem to try to charge foreigners more money for just about everything and anything. However, that being said, even on a teaching salary, everything is very much in check and still very affordable. Also, in addition, it seems the more time you spend there the more you figure out where to go for things which cuts down on costs. Overall, the payment given to English teachers is significant enough that whatever price they do want to charge you, its still quite a bargain.

Prime target to beggars. Yes, this is annoying. All kinds of people seem to want to get a $1 from you somehow or another. The strangest and most unusual people will come and ask at times. Kids do all of the time as well. It becomes more annoying than anything. However, I don't feel its dangerous by any means. I believe there is also a law that any crime done to a foreigners is something like seven-fold and just simply not tolerated whatsoever. I never felt in any danger whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was living in Ho Chi Minh City for two months - July and August and they do not stare at you there as they do here in China. The beggars are better in Vietnam though - the ones here in China are very AGGRESSIVE.

People will not take a tip in China whereas they EXPECT a tip in H.C.M.C.

I have contacts for 3 Schools in Saigon if anyone wants them

Just email me on: [email protected]

Marlene

AT LEAST IT IS HOT THERE - IT IS BLOODY COLD HERE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: