Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How are things going in Buenos Aires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meridian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: How are things going in Buenos Aires? Reply with quote

Well, the research goes on, and in spite what seems to be a tough job market, I am planning on coming to Buenos Aires soon- for spanish courses, tango dancing, and a vacation at the least-- with any luck, I'll find a job and stay longer.

I was informed that February was the next month when schools might be more likely to hire...so I am thinking about coming in mid-November or December, and sticking around till the February, or as long as I can.

I had some random questions I'll throw out there, for Patrick, or others in B.A.-

Do you find at all that people resent you for finding employment as a foreigner, while so many Argentines are unemployed?

Anyone know much about the volunteer programs going on there, particularly "Travellers Worldwide"?

How was your luck finding private students?

Could anyone recommend language schools that looked good, or ones to avoid?

Any other job-hunting tips? I have read about how the face-to-face interview is of such importance- any opinions on whether would it be a total waste of time to try to contact schools early in writing?

There is quite a bit of information in the Job Information Journal section of this website, but with the flux in the economy I was hoping to get some more up to date information.

Thanks!
meridian
spatrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Meridian,

I really don�t have much to add to my other posts, but I can respond to your question on whether the locals resent a foreigner working here.

Basically, the answer is no. I�ve had nothing but support from any and all people I�ve spoken with -- and this was especially true when I was looking for a job. Education is a high priority in Argentina, and, in my experience, everyone seems to realize that a native teacher is a necessary and important part of the educational system.

Unemployement is a vast problem here, it is true, yet it is also something of a fact of life. Hmm, how do I say this without getting smacked by everyone out there. Like much of Latin America, poverty is something which will not disappear when the economy gets stronger. The homelessness and indigency (sp?) is far more spread out now than in years past, but from what I can tell, those who are the worst off were not considerably better in the heyday of prosperity. What I�m trying to say is that most of the people you will meet will make more money than you will as a teacher -- I had a cab driver actually making fun of me when I told him my salary (he thought all foreigners were rich, of course). Also, remember that many of the best educated and best teachers in public universities actually make as little as U$S 20 a MONTH. Seriously.

As far as writing ahead of your arrival, I wouldn�t bother. I did that and got no response. As I said in my other posts, it really seems to be a matter of getting a name, and then going from there. If I were to do it again, I think I would get into BsAs and email every school looking for an chance to talk with someone (read: not a job interview, but a _charla_ or chat). Then, I�d ask that someone if I could use their name and school�s name as a reference. From there, I�d seek employement. Argentines are extremely cordial people, though they are also quite cautious.

The last thing I�d like to add is that I�m leaving BsAs for a better position in Europe. I�d been hoping to find a position in one of the private universities here, but nothing has materialized. So, while I love BsAs, I much prefer working in a univ. than in language schools. This does not mean, however, that I couldn�t make a living or stay here for the rest of my life. I just prefer this new position to what I have here.

Best,

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: