Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

African American Female: Need advice on working abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chicago_Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: African American Female: Need advice on working abroad Reply with quote

I am an African American female with a B.A. Degree in Computer Science. I've work for almost 20 years in the technology sector. I don't have a certificate teaching ELS yet (still doing my research). No teaching experience either. I was considering Vietnam or Senegal. If anyone has experience or knowledge about one of these countries, please post. Rolling Eyes

Sincerely
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Senegal Reply with quote

I lived for awhile in Mauritania and Senegal.I have never taught there,though.I think you are going to find it very difficult to get a teaching job in Senegal.You could try the Peace Corps if you want to go the volunteer route.If you want a "regular"paying teaching job in Senegal,I think you are going to have great difficulty finding one.

Have you ever been to Senegal? It is a great country.Dakar is often called the Paris of West Africa.If you go,don't miss St.Louis,the former French capital(Senegal was once part of French West Africa and Dakar was the administative capital) and the islands of Joal and Fidouath,south of Dakar.The beaches in Senegal are great.But paying jobs(teaching)...I doubt it. Best suggestion is to try the Peace Corps.

I could not tell you about Vietnam.I have never been there.

Best of luck.Hope you make it to Senegal if that is your wish. Smile
pistonear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: lady chi & Senegal Reply with quote

Okay,
I don't know much about Senegal. Only what I heard from my brother. He went to Senegal in 1989 with Teachers college Columbia University. He said thatit was a very poor country, but the people were very kind and that they liked American's. They stayed in huts on the beach and walked about three miles everyday to get their water. They ate cous cous from a communial plate and that he wished he spoke French. There are probably many organizations that would take volunteers and with your computer expeirence you might land something in that field. Mabye just teach part time on the side, or maybe teach computer science. Learn some French if you don't already know it. Good luck!
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Senegal etc Reply with quote

I second the other poster who suggests that you consider the Peace Corps. It is not for everyone, but for those new to the more "exotic" locales it provides some back-up and a saftey net.

For those in the UK the equivalent is VSO, which, I think has taken over from CUSO for those in Canada. It also recruits from other countries. I think the Peace Corps is for US citizens and residents only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: