Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DD Dragon and Dragon Recruiters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pintobean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: DD Dragon and Dragon Recruiters Reply with quote

I couldnt find a thread already about this so, here is a new one: Has anyone heard of Dragon Recruiters, and if so, do they suck or are they worth it or anything??? Any info would be totally rad!! Also, is it really that bad to sign a contract from the States before you get to Taiwan? Thats what Id be doing. Also, Dragon Recruiters pretty much places you at all different schools, so Im assuming I just need the headsup on the School itself more than Dragon, so Ive been checking the blacklists. Thanks!! ::PINT
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Dragon Recruiters Reply with quote

A number of South Africans use Dragon Recruiters (a number of my S.A. friends have used 'em) and most have lost 20 percent of their wages for the first few months of being here. This may mean you lose 40 percent of your wages.......apparently that's the same amount working South Africans lose in taxes. However most of the schools they supply teachers for have free accommodation outside the school. (a big plus)
pintobean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

yeah i think thats normal to lose 20% for the first couple of months and then 10% after. but teachers are supposed to get a partial refund...but i didnt know they had recruiters in South Africa
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are they basically good or bad?
pintobean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: i guess they are ok Reply with quote

i guess they are ok, are you thinking about going thru them Naturegirl? The guy said he got me a deal, but i havent heard form him for a couple days, oh well...Surprised)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, i've also thought about Hess. I know lots of people knock recruiters, but I've heard some good things about Hess. I'm not exactly sure if I'll go through one or not. I know that I am going to find a job while I'm there and not do the whole arranging a job beforehand. I plan on going over next March and am trying to gather info.

Ideally, I'd like to work in a normal school, maybe a uni, cram schools are very stressful, especially during the summer, 40 hour work week, here I come Embarassed
EOD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hess is not a recruitment service. They are a chain of cram schools and the largest on the island. You can get a job working there from a recruiter but you will have to give up 20% of your already, very low wage. You can contact them directly and do a little better. If you come to Taiwan and apply with them, you will be offered the highest wage they can offer new teachers. That wage is still very low in comparison to nearly any other school on the island.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then how do you find a good paying job? Just by walking the streets and going into language schools? And what is a decent salary there?
EOD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So then how do you find a good paying job? Juo st by walking the streets and going into language schools? And what is a decent salary there?

You answer ads in the newspaper and go to interviews, the same as you would back home. Any halfway decent school will have someone there that speaks English.
If you obtain work over the net, sight unseen you are at a distinct disadvantage. The school has made no commitment and if you turn down their offer they have nothing to lose. If you are in Taiwan and at their school willing to work, it means you are also willing to work for the competing school next door or down the street. If they don�t hire you someone else will and it is their loss. The will make an offer over the net or through a recruiter and it is of no concern to them if you work here, in Korea, Japan or anywhere else. If you are in Taiwan, they can see what they will get and don�t have to take care of transportation or housing, thus the higher wage.
pintobean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Yeah, but... Reply with quote

Its obviously better to just go ahead and move there for a little while but I deffinitely DONT have the funds to do so. I would rather sign a contract here and hope that I dont get completely screwed than go to Taiwan and be completely broke and risk not finding a job. Also, do most recruiters take money out of your salary? If so, arent they required to say that?? DDDragon doesnt mention that on any of their websites but I guess when I read the contract it will mention it, i dont know. Yeah, as for Hess, I wouldnt go through them, they seem a little shady and I hear the pay is total sh*t
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its obviously better to just go ahead and move there for a little while but I deffinitely DONT have the funds to do so. I would rather sign a contract here and hope that I dont get completely screwed than go to Taiwan and be completely broke and risk not finding a job. Also, do most recruiters take money out of your salary? If so, arent they required to say that?? DDDragon doesnt mention that on any of their websites but I guess when I read the contract it will mention it, i dont know. Yeah, as for Hess, I wouldnt go through them, they seem a little shady and I hear the pay is total sh*t

Schools take as long as two months to get a work visa for you. In that time you will be working illegally and most probably have to make a visa run. If you go to your local Taiwan Representative office telling them you will be teaching in Taiwan they will ask you for your credentials and if everything is in order and the school is able and willing you can apply for a work visa before you come. That is the only benefit of applying from overseas. Schools that are able and willing to do this are extremely rare. More often you will be promised whatever it takes to get you over here on a contract signed overseas that has no legal standing under the local legal system. That is except to waive the few rights you are allowed under Taiwan's practically non existent labor laws.
All employers in Taiwan will lie to you openly and blatantly, it is part of the culture here. You are expected to smile and lie right back so as not to offend anyone. Recruiters will rob you blind and leave you for dead.
You are setting yourself up for trouble and will most likely go home with a lot less than you came with.
Take your time, put some money together, do your homework and talk to people. Come over and have a look around before you make any commitments that you cannot easily get out of.
Good Luck
pintobean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: 20% what? Reply with quote

Aristotle are you talking about the 20% tax? isnt that standard for the first 6 months?
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20% is if you come after a certain date i think June 30th. I may be wrong th...the correct details are in the lonely planet for Taiwan.
pintobean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: hrmm Reply with quote

interesting
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aristotle are you talking about the 20% tax? isnt that standard for the first 6 months?

That 20% is deducted by the tax office. So basically you will loose 40% of your pay as soon as you start. Nearly all recruiters will also withhold a work/pay deposit as well, usually your first months pay.
Welcome to Taiwan!
Get a job directly through the school that pays by the hour. If you can, get paid weekly or even daily if the school is disreputable and keep an accurate name list of all your students. Keep records of everything and write down and copy all communication with your school.
If you get a job through a recruiter you will get anywhere from a few hundred US$ your first payday to about a thousand if you are lucky. That is for 20 to 40 hours a week.
If you get work directly, in person and negotiate, you can easily net a few thousand US$ your first payday for the same number of hours.
That is why everyone but the most ignorant or desperate avoid recruiters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: