Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Environmental jobs and/or teaching in South America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Environmental jobs and/or teaching in South America Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am just graduated in Environmental Management in Kingston University, South-west London. I want to take a gap year in South-America for one year, before doing a (hypothetical) Master. I definitely want to discover the cultures and learn Spanish. I have many different questions.

Seeking some jobs or volunteering position in South America, I found a lot of associations who offer English teacher positions, teaching English as a second language. As I am French, English is already my second language. Am I able to teach? That EFL is not free, is it?

Ready to do volunteering, I need money to travel. I might be able to afford the flights, but as I want to travel a little bit within the continent, and at the same time I want to save some money for my master, I would like to know if those teaching jobs are paid. By the way, what are the best companies to get cheap flights from Europe to South-America?

So I am thinking about using my degree and getting a job in environmental field (that could be anything: renewable energy, recycling, conservation, sustainability…), employed by a European company (with the European wages….). As I do not know how to speak Spanish, it is a kind of dream. But who knows… So I am currently looking for a company who needs environmentalists… What I heard is that Spanish is very close to French, easiest to learn. If anyone knows European companies involved in South-American countries where my French / English and my degree would be valuable, please let me know.

I have this program in mind: Finding a six-month contract in environmental field, then doing different volunteering jobs in surrounding countries. This a bit of an utopia, but it is always good to dreams…

I am sorry for all these questions, but if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated and helpful.

Thanks
denise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching jobs are paid (usually--there are volunteer positions too), and you can usually live quite comfortably and travel within the country, but if you want to travel extensively through South America and save money for an MA, teaching is really not the way to go!

I've met some non-teacher foreigners here (German and French), and it sounds like teachers might actually be in a better financial situation, because the other organizations (one is some sort of sustainable development organization) pay a "stipend" that probably barely covers minimal living expenses. I don't know any details, so I will step aside...

Best of luck! I hope what you're looking for exists somewhere.
d
Mat Morgan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Back to the basics... Reply with quote

Hi denise thanks for your reply...

I am still trying to get a "well-paid job", but I am more and more thinking about going only doing volunteering jobs. Then I will have to raise quite lots of money before I leave.

Meanwhile some more basic (and by the way more important) questions came to me.
How much is a Visa to go in Peru for example? What if I wanna travel once there? If I wanna go to Costa Rica for example, how long does is take to get a Visa? Do we really need one??
What are the cheapest flights? Are lastminute.com or opodo.com the best motor research for South America?

Are there any possibilities to travel by bus countries to countries within the continent? (I guess so but….)

Is it easy to go to the US from there?

Thanks
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visas to Peru, tourist visas for 90 are free for most countries. If you want to travel inside of Peru, there are tons of buses to get just about anywhere.
Many people don't need to apply for CR visas, it's the same as Peru, you arrive and they give you one.
Buses will get you just abut anywhere, but might take a long time

And here's some flight info. YOu might also want to check out the Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum for some answers to questions about travel, etc.

Intl and Domestic
www.intratours.com
www.tiss.com
www.etn.nl/discount.htm
www.flyaow.com
www.airtrek.com
www.lowestairprice.com
www.airlineconsolidator.com
www.travelhub.com
http://www.gatewaylax.com
www.airdeals.com
www.asaptickets.com
www.cheaptickets.com
www.orbitz.com
www.expedia.com
www.sidestep.com
www.statravel.com
http://www.getonetrip.com
http://www.justtheflight.com
www.opodo.co.uk

International
http://www.airbrokers.com

Certain Start
www.discountflights.com (start in USA)
www.4thetravel.com (start USA, HK, OZ)
www.spiritair.com
www.suncountry.com (Mex and USA)
http://www.airline-network.co.uk/ UK only

Other
www.smilinjack.com/airlines.htm (list)
www.airtech.com (standby)
http://www.martinair.com few flights
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am still trying to get a "well-paid job",

Ha, you really need to study some economics. Most of South America is poor, how do you think they will pay you big bucks. You should just feel lucky if you can go to South America and pay your bills. There are high paid jobs in the oil industry and business.
Mat Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Naturegirl, I ll try to find the best deal in all that... On every single website on Visas, they all say that you need to have a return ticket to go in the country you want to... What if not? I have that new electronic passeport, which with I dont need a visa to go the US for example... Does that can ease authorisation to go other countries?

JZer, I dont think u need to study economics to know that South-America is poor. When I said well paid jobs, I was thinking about europeans (or western) companies who are implanted in South-America and who can afford higher wages... Am I wrong?
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
JZer, I dont think u need to study economics to know that South-America is poor. When I said well paid jobs, I was thinking about europeans (or western) companies who are implanted in South-America and who can afford higher wages... Am I wrong?

well, I believe that even western companies in this line of work don't pay well either. As I said, the western companies in South America that pay well are in the oil business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: