Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The SWEM Remix (which programs are best, or worst?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: The SWEM Remix (which programs are best, or worst?) Reply with quote

Okay, people, let me hear ya! Especially everyone in the cheap seats and those in the balcony. It's the Single White English Major Remix coming at ya:

If I wanted to enroll in a TEFL course in Mexico and then, upon completion, find a job in Mexico, where should I be looking? Which programs are reputable? Which are scams?

Because that is the route I am considering-entering a program and then looking for a job (hopefully through job placement).

So let me hear you. If you've gone through such a program, post! If you've heard from reliable sources, post! Even if you just want to say hello, post!!!

dj master phillip

ps I haven't used so many puncuation marks since my fourth grade essay, What I Did Last Summer
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: yeah, me too! Reply with quote

I'm not so interested in the TEFL course side of things (oh my god, do I really finish the CELTA tomorrow night??), but I am also interested in the whole job placement idea.

Especially whether paying money to a job placement agency is a good investment, or if sauntering into town with a resume and a smile works just as well for newbie teachers in Mexico.

Thoughts? Ideas? Impartial remarks from Guy? Wink

Lozwich.
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: whilst on the subject Reply with quote

Okay, so far I've gotten some not so good comments privately from people about ITTO. I personally had my own suspicions about ITTO when I went to their website and read "comments" by two "real" people who went through their program. What made me suspicious? They both used the word "whilst." WHILST? I mean, seriously. Who wrote that? Because I'm assuming these "real" people are made up. That or there just happened to be two smoking jacket wearing, cognac drinking, fans of 18th century British Lit who went through the program.

Whilst doing research I also came across, in Guadalajara, the Vancouver Language Center. Anybody know about them?

thanks,

seriouslydog

ps Also, ITTO has about 1,034 domain names that all redirect to ITTO, which is a pain when you are looking for schools.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They both used the word "whilst." WHILST? I mean, seriously. Who wrote that?

- seriouslydog

I think you'll find that whilst isn't all that uncommon in standard written English in some countries, although in the USA it's not used.

Regarding your questions about courses and employment agencies, in my opinion, those recruiters and placement agencies (with no teacher training course attached) are pretty much of a rip-off as for finding jobs in Mexico. However, if you're the type of person who needs the security of some placement agency holding your hand through the process of finding a job -- and paying through the nose for that service -- then that type of agency might work for you. If you want specific names of some of those agencies, PM me.

There are one or two decent EFL teacher training programs in Mexico that offer job placement as part of their service. Again, if you'd like my personal opinions about some of them, feel free to PM me.

Not sure if it's true throughout Mexico, but in the city where I live, it's pretty hard to find a job without being here in person. Most jobs are found by showing up and hitting the bricks. I might add that EFL teaching jobs in this city aren't nearly as easy to find as they were even just a few years ago. It used to be that any native English speaker who appeared to be at least semi-conscious and didn't look too much like he might be an axe murderer could find a job teaching EFL here. However, with more and more foreigners "discovering" Merida and wanting to work here, language school directors can be a lot more picky. Applicants who have training and/or experience definitely have an advantage. A whole lot of it still depends on luck, of course, by being in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Ben Round de Bloc on Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, just for the sake of argument, I have just finished doing some kind of horrible marketing type career, and was always finding "whilst" in copy I was presented with. I live in Australia, and don't often see folks in smoking jackets....

On the Merida thing, I contacted someone and was told "yeah, give me a call when you get here", which is somethimes a little difficult for me to understand, but maybe just part of the adventure?

L.
Smile
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: you say while, I say whilst. let's call the whole thing off Reply with quote

I've unleashed a firestorm. You'll have to excuse my americentric view on the word whilst. But in my defense I read a good amount of contemporary British Lit and occasionally watch BBC America and really haven't come across it.

As for "recruiting agencies," yeah, they seem like a rip off to me. But at the same time just getting on a one way flight is a bit frightening too. I'm worried that the only work I'd be able to find that way would be under the table, shady. I guess what it boils down to is:

Should I get my TEFL, and if so, where in Mexico is a good place to do it?

thanks,

phillip
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

OK...going to...be...impartial. Taking all my strength to do.

Of course, you all know that I work for an organization that offers a cert course for soon-to-be teachers...so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

Tim (Ben round de Bloc) will probably give you some good advice, so do email him.

In selecting one of the courses available in Mexico, ask about job guidance or placement and be specific about your questions! Number 1 rule...there is NO GUARANTEE of a job through any school, anywhere in the world. They might say it, but there are too many facotrs to consider. For example, what if you fail the course? you shouldn't be looking for a rubber stamp provider...not everyone has it in them to be a teacher.

One guarantee I've seen from an unnamed school in Canada is this...if you can provide them with 30 letters of rejection from employers, they will refund your course. Ok, so there's a refund policy, but 30 letters of rejection? Come on...

VCC is a good school. I know several graduates of their Canadian program (sorry, not of the Mexico program) and all were very well trained. I believe that their course is lke an in-house training program, so they may get you a job with VCC. Sorry, I don't know much else about them as far as how many schools they have in the world or the name of the program.

Was that objective enough? Not one word about...ooooohhh I can't say it.

haha...email me if you like so I can discuss things in my more oficial role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Do not, I repeat, do not eat Subway's new Chicken Pizziola Reply with quote

Well, so far I really appreciate all the input. However, the ratio between people who have read this thread and those that have posted is a bit low. Come on, I know you're out there and you've got an opinion. So opine!

The other thing I wanted to say is that I went over to the China forum and I've got to say, it seems like they're having a lot more fun over there. This bothered me. Here is my theory:

People teaching in Mexico have plenty of contact with other English speaking people, so don't feel the need to come online as much, whereas those teaching in China are more isolated, read lonely, and therefore rely on the internet for contact. So, it may appear that they are having more fun, but, in fact, they are very lonely, sad people.

seriously,

dog

ps Should I bring a brand new laptop computer to Mexico? Thoughts?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: China, laptops, and pozole Reply with quote

Happy Jueves Pozolero to all eating today...

China is such a massive place that I imagine you could have just about any experience you want over there, happy, sad, frustrating...

One thing that China can't bring to the table like Mexico or other Latin American cultures is the attitude towards life here. It's secondhand information, but I'm told that China is closed off, in that it's a very private society. That would make me sad. But Latin America...

Salsa. Meringue. Warm beaches and warm people. Expressive and emotive students...it won me over.

You should be ok with the laptop. To be sure, try to bring the bill of sale with you to show customs. They may tag it so you don't try to sell it. Don't let them talk you into paying any kind of duty. Complain very loudly if they do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm pretty exhausted from all the research I've been doing.

What do people know of Via Lingua in Guadalajara? Is it really just ITTO in disguise?

gracias

seriouslydog

Also, anybody with info about Vancouver Language Centre in Guadalajara, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Guy, when you wrote VCC did you mean VLC? Or is VCC a different school?

thanks, ya'll
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: VLC not VCC...do you know how many acronyms are in my head? Reply with quote

That's correct...VLC for Vancouver Language Center. Slip of the keyboard. VLC has a focus on children's ESL though I'm sure they do adult as well, like in Canada. Send them an email and ask about opportunities for employment with them in Guadalajara if you took their course. If they can give a guarantee or just say 'yes that's standard policy', then you should pick them.

ITTO (International Teacher Training Organization) is the name of the Guadalajara outlet of Via Lingua, which is a larger organization based in Europe (I believe). I think it's a franchise relationship.

If you PM me, I can send you the email addesses of two people. One who graduated from ITTO and now works for us at Innovative English (don't worry, we won't fire her if she raves about ITTO) and the other from a woman who at last check was teaching for VLC.
isabel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to ITTO a year ago, and was happy with the program. The best thing was that we had LOTS of teaching practice, observed and critiqued. The weak point, from my perspective, was the placement assistance. It really may be the same as everywhere else, but it did not live up to what the website promised.

I haven't been to the website lately, and whilst I have not been quoted there, I did write a favorable evaluation at the end of the course.

I have heard that there have been a lot of changes at ITTO, so I would have to know more to comment on the school now. I do know that a lot of the students in my group are working in GDL., and happy there. I also knew someone that took both the ITTO course and the Vancouver course (he took the Vancouver course first, and didn't feel he got enough) and he unequivocally favored the ITTO course.

Don't be put off because you don't get replies from other ITTO alum. Even when I was there, and the students in the program were positive about it, I was the only one posting on Dave's. Look at how few people from Mexico participate on this board. I am currently teaching in Korea, and so many people participate on the board, so if there is a question here about a program, there are soon a hundred informed, and not so informed , replies. Maybe everyone is just having too much fun in Mexico (which I would believe) but it is too bad the Mexico board isn't more active.
dduck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isabel wrote:
Look at how few people from Mexico participate on this board. I am currently teaching in Korea, and so many people participate on the board, so if there is a question here about a program, there are soon a hundred informed, and not so informed , replies. Maybe everyone is just having too much fun in Mexico (which I would believe) but it is too bad the Mexico board isn't more active.

Isabel, I imagine that there are SIGNIFICANTLY more teachers in Korea than in Mexico: it has it's own separate forum. There is certainly more money to be had in Korea than Mexico.

Iain
isabel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, DDuck, there certainly is more money here- thats the primary reason that I and a lot of other teachers are here. I actually do have a university job I like, though.

But are there more teachers here? I really don't know, but the whole of Korea has a population not much larger than Mexico City. I suspect that there are more teachers there, but for a variety of reasons they aren't on the board as much. We have a whole board because there are so many posts from Korea that its necessary.

I've been thinking about Mexico a lot lately, and I can't wait to go back. But the money thing is real, and the money here is just real good. After I have socked away a little nest egg, I'll be back to work in Mexico teaching for pesos.
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: I have a dream Reply with quote

I have a dream. That one day, Mexico will have its own forum. That ESL instructors in Mexico will be paid just as much -no- more! than instructors in Korea. That Seinfeld will come back on the air for another ten seasons and that the McRibb will not only come back but will stay back, permanently, a fixture on the Micky D's menu, except now it will have been improved, fat free, and for only 99 cents.

seriously,

dog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: