Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas Medical Check----Z Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Anne,

what to expect in the clinic?
Only the HIV test is really important and absolutely obligatory. Anything else is - well, a waste of time and funds. Luckily, it is going to be their funds!
But, if you really are concerned about this, they may put you through an ECG, x-ray your chest and test your eye sight, hearing and reflexes. Nothing to write home about!
arioch36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, this past year i did my medical to get my visa (but I skipped the xray), and when I got to new York City consualte, they no longer wanted my medical. Told me to keep the form. Different worker? Different protocol? Whi knows
catweasle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just going through the process of renewing my Z visa fro another 12 months and have been told the medical is no longer necessary... GREAT!
catweasle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear...cancel that last post....just been for the medical.
However, it was very straightforward, took about an hour, everything was painless and the place was well organised and spotless. Results in 48hrs.
Michael T. Richter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer I went home to Canada for a spell before returning to China (to a different city -- not to that hole of a college in Jiujiang!). Foolishly I hadn't thought of getting an exit/entry visa so I wound up having to get another Z visa.

From Prince George, British Columbia I absolutely *HAD* to have a full medical, complete with blood work, ECG and chest X-ray. The only agency allowed to submit visas outside of a direct, personal visit to the consulate in Vancouver insisted on a completed medical form with all "T"s dotted and all "I"s crossed. (sic)

On the bright side, I have my residence permit here in Wuhan without having to get a physical done by local doctors.
Deborann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: The university is asking for the medical Reply with quote

I have just applied for my Z visa, and it is not the consulate asking for the medical, but the university. They advised that I have to have it here in Australia, bring all of the results and then they will do it all over again in China - and I will be responsible for any difference in results!

Is this the norm??

Thanks,
manise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Overseas Medical Check - Z Visa Reply with quote

Hi Deborann

I had a full medical prior to departure from Australia. On arrival at the University, they wanted another HIV test only, at their expense. I suppose, it all depends on the medical form ( In my case it has Chinese translation) and the employer.
NumberOneSon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had to get a medical exam for the Z-Visa and then had to
get another one when I arrived in China. As far as I'm concerned
it's a bureaucratic scam.

I also had a heck of a time finding a doctor who would fill out
the weird little form. It just contains too many odd sounding
diseases that none of them understood, so a lot of people
didn't want to even touch it.

Next time, I think I'll come in on a different visa (if possible) and
have all the processing done here by the school.
BrilloPad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've read more than once that the "x ray" they do in some sketchy Chinese hospitals is, well....sketchy. A really old, scary looking machine that could possibly give someone radiation poisoning or something....Is this true? I'm really paranoid about old x-ray machines and used syringes when I get my exam....
Deborann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the blood tests required by the University, but am finding it very difficult to arrange for the ECG and chest x-rays. Will there be a problem if I turn up without these??
Crippler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the only consistent answer is there is no consistent answer. My wife and I went to Houston for our Z Viza and with only the letter of invitation received our Z Viza within 2 hours. When we got to China we had our exams done. She had X-ray, bllod work and all the tests. They never did give me an x-ray. Received results in 3-4 days and our permits within days. Of course we worked for the school during this period. It was the Secretary of the district who took us to the exam and got all our paperwork so I guess his clout may have helped. WHo knows for sure... But we never did have any hassles at all and no delays. Cool
jamema

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been organising my paperwork to come to China. Is it just me, or does the link to the BG-14 form on this thread no longer work? Does anyone know where I can get one so I can begin the tests? Thank you for your help.
struelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems like the only consistent answer is there is no consistent answer.

A logical conclusion, but one nearly consistent thread in all these anectodes is that you need to do a medical exam once arriving in China. This is likely for HIV, as Roger pointed out.

It's a bit sketchy about applying for Z-visas outside of China. Most embassies and consulates require a medical, but not all, it may depend on the situation.

A common practice to get around this red tape is to apply for an F or L visa (no medical), arrive in China, and have the Chinese employer transfer you to a Z-visa. The paperwork and medical exams can be done inside China, which is easier for all parties.

Steve
Taishan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sweet way to avoid hassle is to fly into Hong Kong and get your Z visa there. For most nationals no visa is required for Hong Kong (stamp on entry) China Z visa takes a day or just hours depending on how fast you want it, (more money for quicker application), HK$500 (ish) (depending on nationality) with no medical. You will need passport sized photos and a letter from expert's department as usual. Available from China Travel Service on Nathan Rd in Kowloon, (probably many other offices too). After that cross the border, and get a train from Shenzhen to wherever you're going. You can then do your medical in the city that you will be working in, saving you time and money. Also, if you have a return ticket you can easily change vast quantities of RMB into Hong Kong dollars when you return there. Hong Kong dollars are then easily convertable into any western currency.
Hong Kong, in my view is the best way to enter China, it often only takes 400RMB (ish) and 24 hours to get to Beijing on express train from Shenzhen (hard sleeper). So it's a viable option even if you live in the north.
icollin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, do you think they check for drugs in your blood at the same time? I've read that somewhere... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: