Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vladivostok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Vladivostok Reply with quote

Anyone in this city or been there in the past?
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there for two days before I got on the Trans Siberian RR Cool It struck me as a typically dreary medium sized city (it was in March just after the spring thaw). It is unique in that there is access to Japan by ferry. Were you offered a job there?

Buck
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I was there for two days before I got on the Trans Siberian RR Cool It struck me as a typically dreary medium sized city (it was in March just after the spring thaw). It is unique in that there is access to Japan by ferry. Were you offered a job there?

I wasn't offered a job there.. but I live in Korea.. there is a cheap boat from Soekjo, Korea to Vladivostok. I'm most interested when my contract is finished, to go and check it out, look around, and then 'think about teaching' if its a place that gives me a good feel.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: a couple of links Reply with quote

Dear Tiger Beer:

Never been to Vladivostok but I did spend a year in Chonju, South Korea. Razz

Since I can't offer any first-hand info, here are a couple of links that may be helpful. The first one contains general information; the other three links may help you land that elusive EFL job. At the very least, the people you meet there will know where and to whom you could apply.

http://talesmag.com/rprweb/the_rprs/europe/realposts_vladivostok.shtml

http://www.dvgu.ru/rus/partner/education/feelta/info.htm

http://www.amcorners.ru/acr/site.asp?ID=52&lang=eng

http://www.dvgu.ru/dip/Catalog/UD.htm

Good luck Cool
keNt

PS: See the master links index at the top of this forum for several more links related to Vladivostok.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Vladivostok Reply with quote

English First have a school there(or at least they did have) and you should be able to find the details via their general website.But as regarding the place itself,Rusian people I know that have been there quite recently told me that things are not very encouraging from an economic viewpoint or in many other ways-they have power shortages in winter etc. and unfortunately it's not the "San Francisco" of the far-east as some people tried to pretend in order to attract investment and tourism,although it does have the hills and picturesque coastline etc.But that's about all I know,apart from the fact that it was closed to foreigners before because of the naval base etc.
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember, there is an international school there too. Check Kent's links.

Buck
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: QSI Reply with quote

Hello Buck et al:

Yes, there is an International School in Vladivostok [QSI International] but be warned: According to their website, "they expect to hire non-smoking, married teaching couples" and apparently they are not hiring at the moment.

Here's the link anyway: http://www.qsi.org/VLV_HOME/

Have a nice weekend Exclamation
keNt
Micro67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Vladivostok Reply with quote

I'm currently living in HCMC, Vietnam but hope to be making the Trans-Siberian trip in January. The www.trans-siberian.org is a good site for info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: