Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your first day
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capergirl, Thanx for reminding me again why I am so gald to teach for less in China. In China, I have never had the admin tell me how to teach a class. I guess for some that can be scary, but for me it is liberating. Sometimes I have not even had the book for the first day of class. Ino longer try to teach anything on the first day (I mean come on, in the US at least, first day of a college class, you know it will be short)

So I try to introduce myself as quickly as possible, show them my pictures,and then have the students ask me questions so I know their level. I have every one fill out their name on my class roster sheet. The school will hand me something with Chinese symbols that I can't read. They put their English name, Chinese name in Pinyin and characters. I never play games the first day becuase I want it to be something we do as a break from more "serious" studying", not something they always expect. And I'll give them some homework for the next week. A good two hour class.

We will have to argue about names on a separate thread.

But,

Names are a big part of identity and culture. Ever hear of the book "How to win friends and Influence people"? If you notice flamers, they often use bad names when attacking other people. Names are important.

They should understand how names are used, and how to pronounce them (Do you like it if someone always mispronounces your name?)

Doesn't matter if they like their stupid English name...a teacher's job is to insist they learn and speak proper English, not to allow them to continue doing things the wrong way.

Don't know what country you are headed for, but if you can learn the Chinese names of 300-400 students...my hat is off to you. When I call a student by their english name, they are very happy that I have learned their name. Of course, if I can do it in Chinese, then they really feel good about themselves
SweetOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioch: I notice you used the term "flamers" in your post. I have seen that a lot in this forum, but don't think I understand the meaning. Confused Please, explain.

On topic: Thank you for the words of wisdom and experience. Some of these posts have been somewhat scary, downright hysterical and full of helpful insights. So, I guess, it's to all that I say a big THANK YOU! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: