Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big in Japan: Will this work against you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Big in Japan: Will this work against you? Reply with quote

Hi experts!

I am a caucasian male who stands 6ft tall and about 240 pounds. I used to get offers to be a doorman/bouncer back home, but I'm no fighter and I did not pursue such work. I have been referred to as being a "teddy bear" because of my youthful face. Anyway, I am planning on heading to Japan in the future and was wondering if I would encounter any discrimination in hiring practices because of my size? I am not a King Kong Bundy type, but more like - hmmm Idea Arrow - a Slimmer, better proportioned (not so chubby) John Goodman type. I love Japan and have been there many times and my size was never used against me (except at soba stands and then it wasn't folks descriminatin' against me but me trying to keep my elbows from brushing against folk, out of consideration!). I love hanging out there and found the people earthy. I am not familair with the hiring though.

Your thoughts and insights are appreciated!

Cheers!
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew some pretty large (I'm talking huge) teachers while in Japan, and they didn't have any problems getting positions. My husband is over 6 feet tall, and it didn't make any difference for him.

You should be aware, though, that buying clothes will be next to impossible. There are some department stores that carry what for the Japanese are XXXL sizes, but they're usually a little short for the average foreigner. Buying shoes may be difficult if you take a size larger than an American 11.

My husband also had problems with furniture--most of the chairs were too low to the ground! After eight years of sitting with his knees practically touching his chin, he's left with a chronic back problem.

Also, be prepared for a lot of comments from the Japanese about your size. Most, not all, are just expressions of surprise, but you will run across a few jerks who can be pretty nasty.
Celeste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I live in F u k u o k a, and he is ove 6 feet tall and around 200lbs. We have a couple of male friends who are bigger than he is, and no one seems to be intimidated by them (except perhaps the proprietors of the all you can eat & drink bars). Clothes are difficult but not impossible to find. There is a big and tall shop here, and we also buy clothes for my husband at Costco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: