Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA general vs. MA ESL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: BA general vs. MA ESL Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there who went to Japan (or anywhere else abroad) with a BA in something non-related to TESL, had a horrible experience selling English in a private school, then went back with an MA in ESL and had a completely different experience? I'm curious because of my first experience teaching in Japan. Basically I worked my butt off and still got threatened by head office because of my sales figures. The thing is I love to travel and I think I was a good teacher. Does anyone have any similar first-hand stories? I've applied to the U of Minnesota for their MA ESL degree because I think it's one of the best programs I've seen. Is college/university teaching really that much different from teaching in a private school? Also, that job was my first "real" job and I remember being physically sick every day before class because of my nerves. Perhaps I tried too hard to cater to unrealistic expectations. Did anyone have that happen and did it get better?
Lynden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should qualify the last post. If I get the MA ESL I would try to find a position in Germany where I understand the language better than I understood Japanese.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: yes, different. Reply with quote

Quote:

Teaching universities in Japan is certainly different than teaching in a private high school, and different than teaching in a language school!

Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: little oops Reply with quote

Sorry if that last post didn't quite use the quote function as planned, but I think you get the idea of my answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: