Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy I'm wondering if someone can tell me what my chances are in finding a decent teaching job in HK... whether a language school or in the NET scheme...

I'm a Chinese born Canadian. I have a BA in Music and English. Recently did my TESOL certification. I have 3 years of ESL teaching experience. (2 years in Canada, 1.5 years in Japan)

Is it really that difficult to get a job at this time of year? Is the NET scheme is really hard to get into? What are my chances??? I've been told that many HK schools discriminate Chinese teachers, though they are native speakers... Is that true? Sad

My bf is planning to move to HK for business and I'm afraid I will be faced with the difficulty of finding a decent job there... It would be great if you could give me some advice on how to go about it... Thankyou! Wink
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some two, maybe three years back, your questions would have generated overwhelmingly positive and encouraging replies, but these days things look different!

You are not a white but are of Chinese stock, that may (but need not) be problem no. 1: A year ago, there was a big row over perceived discrimination against NET candidates from Britain who were of Chinese descent (and whose first language was English). The uproar has died down by now, and principals may have learnt a lesson, but who knows? Find out by trial and error!

Then, the NET scheme has come under attack from varous sides as being inefficient and a waste of taxpayers' revenues. Salaries had to be readjusted downward, in line with trends in the overall economy. Still, expats are increasingly being viewed as a cashdrain. Add to this the novelty of local teachers finding themselves out of work due to changing demographics!

The unemployment rate stands now at 8 percent, and is expected to go even higher!

A grim picture indeed! And, a personal note: HK just isn't congenial any more. It is an ever-more parochial, self-centered, ever more unfriendly place.
It's not even its former shade any more - it's a new and ugly place!
My personal opinion, and I know some disagree.
prplfairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez here we go again,

Roger once again telling some one they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job in Hong Kong.This from someone, if memory serves, who doesn't even live in Hong Kong but in a Chinese border town or something. It seems quite evident if you see R's other postings that he has some very personal negative feelings about Hong Kong and is on some sort of Anti-Hong Kong crusade. You can check my other postings to see my response to his previous grievances.

So lets's dive into R's latest offering. NET salaries are still great. The lowest NET salary is HK $30,000 a month, that's almost US $4000 a month, to be a teacher. It's unbelievable actually. The high end is more than double that. So even if there has been a stabilization of salaries, they are still really high.

8% unemployment indirectly affects teaching in that learning centers have fewer customers but government and private schools are unaffected. I can tell you from personal experience that if you are qualified you will find something. Ethnic Chinese may find the going a bit tougher but again if you are qualified you will eventually find something.

As far as HK being unfriendly well it's pretty much what it has always been. There are many types of lifestyles to lead here and to characterize a an entire city of seven million people as friendly or unfriendly is ridiculous and a gross simplfication of HK and life in general for that matter. You can live on an island and have beaches at your disposal 24/7 or you can live in central or in one of the ex-pat fortress housing estates. The choice is yours and all have something different to offer. Don't be put off an adventure by those the doomsday crew. You can do it if you want , all you needs is the will and you'll find a way.

Good Luck
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Roger and Prplfairy... Your replies are much appreciated...

I guess I should be expecting some kinda difficulties finding a job... Would you even consider me as qualified? What more do I need to get into the NET scheme? ... Embarassed Afterall, the NET scheme offers a promising salary and stability, which would be great, no doubt...

If i want to apply for the NET scheme will I have to wait til next year? Do you know then the postings will come out?

I have been browsing thru the job sites such as classifiedpost and job market, but most of the NET teaching jobs don't seem like they would be able to offer 30K? What is the salary range for Language schools?

Thank you again... !!! Wink
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today on HK news: The standard of English has dropped a further 10%. down to 38.
On these figures there should be jobs inside and outside NET.

the holidays are on now, so hiring time is coming round.

But given the size of HK nothing will move quickly
BlueOlle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... its been helpful...
I'm still looking around for language schools, but no one has ever replied. Does it make a different that I'm applying abroad? Would it be better if I applied in HK??? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: