Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hayah Academy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cseeley24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Hayah Academy Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about the pay or benefits to a foreigner hired locally for the school Hayah Int. Academy in 5th Settlement? I have an interview this week and have no idea what to ask. Thanks. Laughing
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a qualified teacher, then I would ask for around $25,000 equivalent, if not a bit more (they might pay partially in pounds and partially in dollars, but I'm not sure). Add on to that figure for accommodation (I think they will give an amount of money as opposed to an actual flat, but I'm not sure). They might not even give you the chance to set a figure, but at least you have that in mind. Visit www.oanda.com to do the conversion so if they throw out a number is pounds, you have a good idea of how much that is.

If you're not qualified but experienced, I would expect a bit less. I will post more when I talk to a friend working there. She's been there for 2 years going on three and is quite happy. I've known others who left it with a less-than-positive experience (the school let go a number of teachers last autumn when it wasn't working out. I've heard both sides of the story. Some felt it was unjust, others working there said the school was in the right.)
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Hayah International Reply with quote

Revision to my previous post: You might expect around $24,000 USD/year equivalent (that would include your accommodation money), though if you're already in Egypt, do not expect the airfare.
USteacherinCairo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Run for the hills Reply with quote

I would advise any foreign teacher considering a job at Hayah to turn around and walk the other way. I spent five months at this school before accepting a mid-year offer elsewhere. Luckily for me I declined the housing benefit offered to foreign teachers. Many of my colleagues who accepted the benefit now feel trapped at a school that is significantly less than what they advertise themselves as being.

Also, many of the certifications and acreditations the school claims to have are rumored to be bogus. Rather they are applications pending approval based on further review of the school's ability to comply with or meet standards in which they were deemed to be lacking.

I don't want to be to hard on the school, I know several people (in grades K-3) who have had good experiences, but the majority of foreign teachers working there, are largely dissastified with the school's administration.
cseeley24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Happy at HIA Reply with quote

Hi. I am the person who originally posted this forum and I did accept the job with Hayah. I am so so happy there. I was hired as a local so the salary is not $25000 a year but it is very good compared to other schools. The atmosphere is great and the admin is one of the best of Egypt- if you have ever worked anywhere else in Egypt- then you would really appreciate them. I would never consider working anywhere else while in Cairo.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseeley24, can you send me a contact name and email for applications? A friend of mine is trying to apply, but their website (shown above) isn't working.
cseeley24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. i am currently in an airport travelling so i do not have the info but as soon as i arrive (in about 20 hours) i will try to get online and give the info for you. good luck to your friend.
chrisd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Hayah International Academy Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I was contacted by Dr. (Mod edit) Desseau, the Superintendent of Hayah. She asked that I send her my philosophy of education. I wasn't told why. I supposed she wanted to know how I expressed myself in English and if I had any strange ideas about how children should be schooled. She must have accepted what I wrote, because she then emailed asking if I wanted to be interviewed.

This lady's name does not appear on any of the previous posts and I don't know if she is new to the school. From the time she first contacted me I have been quite drawn by her sense of humor and candor. She has been surprisingly forthright with answers to my questions about posts on this site, as well as those on the International School's site.

Most of the administrators I have encountered who have their PhD's come across as pretty stuffy, self-important people. Not this person. If she is anything like the first impression she gives, she sounds as if she would be a delightful person to work with.

After I have my interview (in 2 weeks), I'll let you know what I think.
cseeley24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: DR. DEB DESSAU Reply with quote

Hi. I have been at Hayah for the last 2 years. Dr. D is indeed new to the school, she is the superintendent. I can tell you that she is very down to earth, reliable and honest. she is very forthcoming about any flaws she sees in the school and does not mind constructive critisism. I enjoy working with her and talking to her when i see her in the halls. you can trust anything she says to you and i think that you would enjoy working in Hayah. it is the first school in egypt that is run right. good luck at your interview!!!

(MOD edit for names)
chrisd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/7/08: I promised a post after my interview with Dr. Deb D, the fairly new Administrator at Hayah. We talked for almost two hours. My impression of this lady has not changed since me first communication with her several weeks ago. She is personable and very open to any questions, positive or negative. I would go so far as to say that she is unusual among the school administrators I have come to know. She seems like someone who is serious about her position, but would also be fun to work with. She answered all my questions and I felt as if I got a "feel" for the school and the working conditions there. She was even willing to give me a sense of the salary they pay for someone with my credentials (please don't ask me what this is as I have always believed salary issues are not other people's business). Pay is offered as an annual salary and teachers are paid monthly for 12 months, although teachers do not work during the summer and are off the entire month of December.

Dr. D obviously likes her job, the school, her fellow workers and the students.

Hayah requires a 2-year contract, may pay for accommodations and will take care of work permits and visa and will reimburse airfare to and from Cairo. Private tutoring may be done but not for students of the school. If I remember correctly, a minimal amount of health insurance is provided.

Each year the school adds another grade level. This coming year they will add 10th grade. In 2 more years, the school will be "fully functional" with all 12 grades in place.

The students at Hayah are from wealthy families. According to Dr. D, students are teachable and very easy to like and they readily and fondly attach themselves to their teachers.

I will know by tomorrow if I have been offered work at this school. I am also interviewing at a school in Jerusalem and have been contacted by the American University of Beirut asking if I would be interested in being considered for a position there.

I have read all the negative reviews of Hayah and believe that most of them are historical issues that Dr. D has worked hard to overcome.

(MOD edit for names)
chrisd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Hayah International Academy Reply with quote

I have been reading old posts and realize that I never followed up with a final post re: my position with Hayah.

I contacted Dr. D. with the intention to accept the position I had been offered. It was then that Dr. D. told me the Board of the school had frozen any further hires for the 2008-2009 school year due to financial reasons. Dr. D. was disappointed for me, as I was for myself. She indicated that I could reapply next school year if I was available.

In other words, the contract that was sent me was withdrawn.

I do not blame Dr. D. for this. I think it was an honest situation that there was no need for further increase in their staff at this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: