Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9 questions about Jobs in the KSA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: 9 questions about Jobs in the KSA Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

I am writing to ask for information about teaching in the KSA.
Being "green" to the Middle East I have a lot of questions.

I would love to hear your answers and advice to any of the following:

1.) When does the semester start?
2.) How fast can a visa + selection process be carried out?
Is it possible to find work right now and still start work this semester?
If not now, when is the best time to start a contract in KSA?

3.) Which school(s) or contractor(s) do you recommend for a good contract? I have been reading the other postings, as well as the job journal, and there seems to be some difference of opinion.

My profile: I am a 30-year-old Canadian man. I have a BA, a couple of short ESL course certificates and 5 years of ESL teaching experience in Brazil. I love to SCUBA dive.

4.) How does the KSA compare to other Arab States in terms of employment (salary, conditions etc.)?

5.) Do any of you work at military academies and like it? Are the conditions that bad?

6.) Where is the best place to teach in terms of salary/contract + diving?

7.) I would be interested in any advice on getting the best possible contract for KSA.

On July 29, 2003 the following was posted. Is this a good contract? How does this compare with other opportunities?

SALTS offers a tax free salary in excess of $43,000 a year; private furnished housing with all utilities paid on a very secure western compound; 30 days annual leave; free medical/dental care; personal effects shipping allowance; cash in lieu travel allowances at 6 and 12 months; continued service and final service award pay; relocation ticketing to and from assignment; transportation to and from work.

8.) Obviously there is some risk involved in living in the KSA. Have things changed considering the current events? Do you feel there is greater risk today?

9.) (Minor question) Some contracts include housing with air conditioning mentioned. How hot do your classrooms get? For those of you from North America was the climate hard to adjust to? What other adjustments have you had to make? Specifically the surprises you face after moving to another country.

Well that is a long enough. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to respond.

2Green
[email protected]
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeddah is where you should go.
I think SALTS is for US citizens only.
If you have not been in the K of SA before you could try ELS Jeddah as an intro.

You ask about semesters. This applies to university jobs. It is unlikely that you would get a job at university with your CV.

You could try KFUPM in Dhahran but that is far from your diving scene.

As for how long it takes to get processed, how long is a piece of string ?
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, for diving you need to be here in Jeddah.

I regret I know of no openings over here right now.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places will have done their recuritment by now - due to the lenghty visa process the better schools etc. tend to recruit well in advance. Of course, in answer to your question, if an employer needs you badly enough, they will find a way of dramatically shortening the visa application process. Normally, however, it takes a good 6 weeks - assuming all your papers are in order.

As to air condidtioning, it goes without saying that every building has it. Contracts just mention it because they imagine that foreigners - unlike Saudis - won't take it for granted that it is there. Believe me, you would die without it!

As to personal security - well, everything is relative. Obviously, yes, there is a 'degree of risk' that there didn't use to be here. However, you have to put it in perspective. The number of ex-pats killed over the past few years has still been very small in the overall scheme of things. As anyone can tell you, you are far far more likely to be killed in a car accident than in a terrorist incident in KSA. However, the threat of terrorism does make some - not all - expats a bit uneasy.

Salary etc in KSA are similar to those in other Gulf states. However, the 'quality of life' just about anywehre else in the Gulf is generally considered to be much higher than here, given all the restricitions.

The contract you mentioned sounds pretty good. However, you might be better off aiming for vacancies that come up in January, as most of the good jobs will be gone by now.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the jobs in Saudi have no particular starting date. Teaching with the military or in a company set-up there will be no "semesters". Miltary jobs pay well but there are drawbacks. SALTS is currently one of the well-paid jobs for US citizens. For British passport holders British Aerospace was a well-paid job but the story is that this is changing as they contract out the teaching to smaller companies who pay less.

KFUPM, which is supposedly the BEST uni in KSA hires lecturers to start in September ofr January. You are too late for September. Check out the webiste at www.kfupm.edu.sa. The money is not huge but the holidays are nice.

Safety ? I still say uou are more lilely to meet your Maker as a reult of a tarffic accident than as a result of an islamist outrage.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like scuba diving try Yanbu Industrial College. JIC is still hiring but no diving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: