Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A newbie to Abu Dhabi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wigwam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like driving, buy a convertible and have the top down 9 months of the year. I rarely use the AC - prefer the wind - when driving prefer the Marianne Faithful song 'When you are 37'. If you can, find a villa in the suburbs. The weather is superb here from October to June - lots of barbies, walks along the corniche (beachfront). Bring a strong pair of walking or climbing boots - ideal for desert and mountain exploration. If you have a bike bring that too as it is becoming very trendy or buy it here! Sometimes the best policy about clothing is too bring as little as possible, apart from the usual office wear, and indulge in the local clothing market - the souks - where you can really experiment with your range of clothing and see how the locals cope with the environment - westerners tend to wear western clothing and yet the choices available in terms of materials and styles could educate you.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the noise the make is what puts some employers off. BOth my last two employers in Dubai stated specifically, nothing that passed between the toes. And 'ship ships', or the plastic, flimsy ones, are best saved for the beach. There is some weird social stigma attached to them.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though ccontraception is available err on the side of caution and bring a supply of your own- as not all brands are easily purchased. Most sanitary items exist. Bags are searched regularly so be careful what other related items you bring !!
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a/c pashminas are a good idea as a cover-up - they fold up small, you can even stash a couple in your office desk, and they are local buys.

Like I think at least one other poster I would not wear sleeveless tops unless I was going to a Western expat dominated place (and even then I would have something to cover my shoulders on the way there and back). Sharjah is deinitely more conservative than Dubai but in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and the Northern Emirates women who are dressed in short skirts/sleeveless or strappy tops definitely draw the wrong kind of attention - if people say that these places are no more conservative than Dubai then they are a tad thick-skinned or unobservant!

Flip flops? Our students wear what I would call mules a lot of the time, especially the males, but in the humidity of the coast I find flip-flops anywhere other than the beach or an airconditioned social occasion a bit uncomfortable... feet slide around - euch!
twarin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let's recap here:

She will arrive wearing a pair of flip-flops, a pair of fish-net tights, a thigh-length, sleevless abaya with a convertible veil for those hot days on the Corniche and, of course, to thoroughly outrage the poor natives, a *beep* pashmina to wear at Ramadan.

And when in Dubai, dress like Shakira on her new album.

You should have an unforgettable time!
ckhl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridiculous. A Western woman wearing an abaya. Really. A wannabe? Probably. yes, Sharjah is dry but you are permitted to consume alcohol at home provided you have a license (I've never bothered). I've worn skimpy swimming trunks on the beach and the cops have driven by in their blue and white Cherokees that say "Anjad" on them and they haven't given me a second look. As a rule I've always worn shorts on the streets and have never been so much as looked at. My legs are not unattractive either. Granted, I am a guy, but every weekend I've seen Western women on the beaches in Sharjah, many in two-piece suits. They don't seem to get harrassed. A little perspective and a lot less hype is in order here.
ckhl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like driving, buy a convertible and have the top down 9 months of the year Really? Yum...the dust in the air is lovely for the complextion. When you go back to the west and friends comment on how healthy you look you can exclaim that "it's the Abu Dhabi winters and the dust laden air". It's as good as being in any spa town.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckhl, your experience as a male varies greatly from that of a female. I lived in Sharjah in 1998-99, and return to Sharjah regularly as many of my former colleagues and friends still live there. In 1998, women wore shorts on occasion, but got a lot of stares. An abaya? No, but longer trousers or a skirt are in order. Sleeveless? Don't think so. A woman can go to the beach, but her two piece suit is not allowed. Maybe she'll endure the stares and harassment of young men who haven't seen a woman so scantily clad since...well, never. A good friend of mine who has lived in Sharjah since 1996 slips a longer skirt over her shorter one for the drive into Dubai "just in case".

The experience of living in Sharjah is so unique between the two sexes.
ckhl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The experience of living in Sharjah is so unique between the two sexes.

Again, it sounds like a lot of paranoia. I've been here more than ten years. Paranoia may be too harsh. Let's just say you're just so much more culturally sensitive with a dash of paranoia thrown in. I don't know which beach you go to but I have seen quite a few European women in swim suits, yes, two-piece ones, going about their business. True, they're usually not alone but accompanied. I grant you that sleevless shirts may brings stares, but short sleeves? This is ridiculous.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the beach Public)yesterday with the kids, wore two piece swimsuit there were all types of families there - Muslim and non muslim, not one inapproapriate stare - just normal life on a beach with your family in another country
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one has always seen plenty of cultural insensitivity in the dress of codes of many expats. And plenty of arrogance displayed and pride in their supposed superiority.

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking about Sharjah, here. Life in Dubai is quite unique, and though I've never been to the beach in Abu Dhabi, most conclude the AD is still less conservative than Sharjah. I think short sleeves are fine in Sharjah. I'm talking about no women in shorts, no women in short skirts, and the like.

Culturally sensitive and paranoid? How about culturally sensitive with some respect for the local law.
Quote:
CLOTHING
Lightweight summer clothing is ideal with a wrap, sweater or jacket for cooler winter nights and air-conditioned premises. Although the dress code in the UAE is generally casual, guests in the larger hotels do tend to dress more formally in the evening. Since you are visiting a Muslim country, bikinis, swimsuits, shorts and revealing tops should be confined to beach resorts. Women are usually advised not to wear short skirts and to keep their shoulders covered. Note that in Sharjah women are prohibited from wearing swimsuits on public beaches.

From The UAE's government website section for tourists
http://www.government.ae/gov/en/visitors/uae/tips.jsp

Even Jumeirah Beach now has undercover police watching for men who are there with less-than-honourable intentions. Over a three year period we consistently visited the same stretch of beach on Jumeirah Beach (behind the KFC on Beach Road). Over time, single men (presumably single) seeking some eye candy (and the fact that people like my friend and I were the best he could get was rather tragic) would sit on the wall, and stare at women. Hence, the need for CID. But, there's no law in Dubai against women in swimsuits, so it's about your comfort level.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS suggested that we were insensitive to the local culture. We were on the beach, 90% of whom were muslim and of those, most women were in bikinis or swimsuits. During Ramadan we would not dream of repeating our habit. This is AD where the tolerance of everyone is higher.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for VS, but I don't think she was talking about you, Wigwam. The discussion was about Sharjah beaches, not AD. Do you mean to say that the women in swimsuits were Muslim or Arab? And if Muslim (the ones in swimsuits-not the ones in veils), how do you know they were? There are Islamic swimsuits out there. I saw them in Egypt quite a bit, and almost never in the UAE.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some were friends and others we knew - AD is a very small world and a lot of the people you see you know from contacts, contracts and events. We go very early in the morning so we don't get burned and many pray while we are there. There are few veiled lady swimmers.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: