Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Real Deal on Agua: A point-counterpoint discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: The Real Deal on Agua: A point-counterpoint discussion Reply with quote

Today on CrossFire:

Should one try to adapt to the water in Mexico or should they stay "on the bottle?"

Here's the big positive I can see in staying "on the bottle":

Avoiding tummy troubles.

Here's the negative:

It's costly. Think how much money you could save if you didn't have to use bottled water to drink, wash dishes, brush your teeth, and a zillion other things I can't think of? And it's not just a matter of cost. Think of the inconvenience.

And, more importantly, if one decides to go native, what is the best way to safely and with the least amount of discomfert do so? What is the transition like? Any horror stories? Do tell.

Thoughts? Feelings? You, in the back row. Don't be shy.
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in Mexico for two months recently, I waited until the whole food adjustment thing settled down, and then I started brushing my teeth with the tapwater. My stomach kind of gurgled for a few days after brushing, but apart from that I was fine.

I *never* drank the water, even one night when I went to bed a little more (ahem) "refreshed" than usual, forgot to get a new bottle before retiring and woke up in the middle of the night with the dry horrors, and painfully close to a sink... So much water and nothing to drink!!

A BIG bottle of water (you know the ones they put on water coolers) was costing my friends who ran a cafe something like 30 pesos for a refill. Not that expensive really. How much does pepto bismol cost??

Just my two cents...

Lozwich.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, where I live the big bottles of purified water cost 15 pesos delivered to one's door. That's not that expensive.

Second, even the natives where I live don't drink water from the tap. The problem isn't lack of water treatment. Tap water where I live has been chlorinated. The problem is where the water goes and what all can get into it before it comes out of the tap. When chlorinated water stands for a while, such as in a large tinaco (holding tank on the roof,) the chlorine dissipates into the air, not to mention the number of insects and animalitos that can fall into the water or the condition of the plumbing that the water passes through prior to that.

Many of the things one can pick up from drinking tap water are not things that Pepto Bismol can touch. I'm not saying one has to be a fanatic about avoiding tap water. I brush my teeth and rinse my mouth out with it at least twice a day. I wash dishes with anti-bacterial soap and tap water. However, I don't drink it, and I don't cook with it.
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's good enough for me. Tap water it is. Forget adustment. I'm just gonna stick my head under a faucet as soon as I get off the plane. Take it like a man.

No, not really. I'm going to stay on the bottle. Especially after hearing Ben round de bloc. But the way I drink water those pesos are gonna add up.

I'd still like to here horror stories though if anyone wants to share.

Last edited by seriouslydog on Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: agua purificada Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to stay on the bottle. Especially after hearing Bed de Round. But the way I drink water those pesos are gonna add up.

I'd still like to here horror stories though if anyone wants to share.

- seriouslydog

Bed de Round Question Are you trying to suggest something about my character by that? Confused Wink

Even if you drink liters and liters of bottled water per day, it really isn't all that expensive. You might find it a little tense trying to get through an entire class period without a potty break, however. Smile

Here every school that I've seen has water coolers with bottled water, so while you're at work, the bottled water is "free." If you get really desperate about counting the pesos, I suppose you could carry a couple of small empty plastic water bottles with you to school in your book bag, fill them from the cooler on the sly, and take them home with you. Seriously, lots of people here fill small water bottles or thermos bottles at home to carry with them when they're out and about. One does have to consume lots of liquids in this climate to avoid dehydration. The big 20-liter bottles delivered to one's home cost 15 pesos, whilst a half-liter bottle purchased from a convenience store costs almost 7 pesos, so it is economical to carry water from home. By the way, a half-liter bottle of Coca Cola is cheaper than a half-liter bottle of water, and I don't know why. Confused

Not sure what kind of horror stories you want to hear. I did get food poisoning once from eating at a local Burger King. That was a few years ago when Burger King restaurants in the U.S. had to stop selling anything with beef in it for a while (which I found out later,) because their beef supply was contaminated. Obviously, either word of the contaminated beef didn't arrive here or local Burger King restaurants chose to ignore it. From that experience, I learned that there is a definite difference between just getting a hold of some bad food and real food poisoning. Burger King isn't even a place that I frequent. I'd just stopped there to eat on a whim. Crying or Very sad

Any specific topics for horror stories that you had in mind?
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, a half-liter bottle of Coca Cola is cheaper than a half-liter bottle of water, and I don't know why.

Can you say "El Presidente Fox"??

Wink

I had hallucinations once from being full of food poisoning. Wasn't Mexico though....

L.
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending what part of the republica u find yourself in has alot to do with the quality of water. For example if you are in Chihuahua, Sonora or Baja California you would find that more often than not folks are drinking tap water. Part of this is due to the relevantly modern infastructure that has been put in place along the recently booming border and its cities. In Ciudad Juarez my friend Hugo fills his glass from the tap and drinks up. He was born and bred in Puebla where according to him the water is not drinkable. In DF H20 is not ingestible for several reasons. Although it is chlorinated t contains extreme levels of lead, other metals and various chemicals that fall into the water supply from Lake Chapala in Jalisco to the runoff from the mountains (if you fly into DF you will descend through meters of pure smog). Also the antiquated water transport systems have been compromised due to earthquakes. Also I read in a newspaper that various contagiants are found in the capital's water. In the South (Oaxaca, Chiapas, Tabasco) the water also is not ingested. Here it is avoided due to microrganisms more than anything else. From Amoebas to Typhoid to god knows what the tropical climate does not allow for drinking of the public water supply. In Tuxtla (Chiapas Capital) I once was standing over a river that cuts throught town on the way to the water resevoir, I saw a dead goat floating on by, bloated and slimy I wondered how many other critters I didnt see. Also in the South is the unregulated pesticide usage that runsoff into the water that can be a doozy! In all three regions I brushed my teeth with tap water from day 1 and never got sick. I was sick on 2 occasions: 1 time I ate a torta ahogada in Guadalajara (a cold pork sandwich) I was in the hospital for 2 days nearly died (I am serious) the second time I ate some strawberries that werent disenfected properly and those had me in bed for a day. When you wash ur veggies follow this routine

1 Wash all visible contaminants off with tap water/dish soap mixture
2 Rinse clean with tap water
3 Fill sink with tap water, add vegetable disinfectant (sold everywhere in Mex)
4Let stand 1 hour
5 Drain
6 Rinse with bottled water
7 Pat or let dry
You must do this rountine with lettuce, cabbage, greens because bacteria hides in the folds and crevices.
I personally washed my guayabas, apples, pears etc with warm soapy water and dried them with paper towels with no ill effect.
Mexican produce is not decontaminated like western produce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gorilla g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: water and the runs Reply with quote

what happens when you get sick from the water and you have to run to the bathroom every five minutes?

can you still teach class? do you just say, excuse me, and sprint out?

just wondering,

gorilla g
Mr. Green
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Man those are the days. Once I had the misfortune to be in that situation and tried to sprint for the door, I let out a stream of farts that made the girls blush!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gorilla g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: ow! my stomach!!!!!! Reply with quote

Lee! you made me laugh so hard! it lasted for five minutes and i couldn't even explain it to the other kids in the office because i was laughing so hard. that felt so good. wow.

Mr. Green
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so gorilla likes scatalogical humor

Last edited by seriouslydog on Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
gorilla g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone here in the office knows that now too.
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how hard it was to face them for the rest of the term, everyday I wondered if they were totally preocupied with what happened. Seriously speaking they are used to digestive problems down in Mexico.
gorilla g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last time I was in Mexico I was prepared that I might get sick, but it turned out my friend (who's a native) got sick and was in bed for two days.

it seemed like everyone I talked to was used to it, and probably wouldn't get as good of a laugh as I did out of Lee's predicament.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: