Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelling to Russia from North America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya Yaunish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Travelling to Russia from North America Reply with quote

Hi, I have recently joined this forum and this is my first post. I have a quick question about travelling to Russia. I am coming from Canada and flights into Russia are quite expensive (they definately exceed the amount of travel expense that most schools are willing to shell out). I was thinking about flying into another European city (Frankfurt, maybe) and taking a train. Is this feasable? If so, is there an internet site where one could find out information and book train passages? If I do this will I need a Visa for the country that I intend to fly to if I am only going to get on a train to Russia? Hope someone can help me!
tmy
Kira

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: cheap tickets to Russia Reply with quote

Tanya,

The deal with train trips across Europe is that they take a long time and in most cases (with the exception of Finland and sometimes the Baltics depending on citizenship--I'm not sure about Canadians) require a transit visa through a Former Soviet Republic, generally Belarus' or the Ukraine. Additionally, train travel can pose more risks than simply hopping on the plane, such as theft and drunk guys trying to climb into your bed with you. You will not need a visa to a Western European country if that is the destination for your air travel. For example, if you fly to Frankfurt, you don't need one for Germany, and probably not for Poland, but for the FSRs certainly. If you check the country's homepages and visa requirements, you can find out what countries require visas of Canadians and how difficult they are to get. Travelling through the Former Soviet Union is rarely a breeze and I would recommend it only if you enjoy travelling in developing countries and feel comfortable with discomfort.

I would recommend looking at a discount air ticket site. You can check the waytorussia weblink posted under Kent's Master Index. Since you are a student, you can also call or find a Council Travel, which sells sharply discounted tickets to students. Another option is to check expedia.com for cheap airfares.

I am not aware of websites that post prices for tickets to the FSU save Helsinki-Peterburg trips.

Good luck.

--Kira
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: welcome Tanya Reply with quote

Dear Tanya:

Kira has given you good advice. About the only thing I can add to that is this:

The cheapest flights from North America to Russia usually originate in New York City, where many airline companies offer direct service to Moscow. The added competition helps keep prices down, and you can sometimes find 'special deals' with carriers like Czech Airlines or Aeroflot ... if your departure date is flexible.

So ... rather than just checking prices from your home city in Canada, you might want to look into prices on a New York - Moscow ticket ... and see what the difference is. Of course, you'd still need to get yourself to New York City, but that might be cheaper and safer in the long run than trying to take a train across Europe ... with luggage and cash in tow.

And don't be afraid to try Aeroflot; they are offering better service and lower prices than many of the more well-known carriers these days. I fly with them often and have had no complaints.

Good luck, Tanya Exclamation
keNt

PS: I checked the waytorussia.net website for a one-way ticket from New York to Moscow and found this deal:

LOT Polish
Economy class, one way $415 (+ applicable charges)

Travel period: 08 Sep 2003 - 31 Oct 2003
Zolushka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tanya,

If you travel by train from Frankfurt to Moscow, you will definitely need a visa for Belorussia. And it might not be that cheap, as you will need to buy a one-way ticket. Right?

Go with Kent's advice and try an airline first. Unfortunately Aeroflot prices are the most expensive when you purchase their tickets from outside of Russia.

Good luck!
canucktechie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the recommendation to look at flying from the US. I can fly from Seattle for about C$915 which is much cheaper than flying from Vancouver. Go to travelocity.ca or expedia.ca and you can check out the possibilities.
Ophelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can call Travel CUTS in the States for student/teacher/youth airfare to Moscow. Believe me, I use them often!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: