Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basics for a kid like me about the UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saint_moi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Basics for a kid like me about the UAE Reply with quote

This is aimed at any teachers who are actually working in the UAE or who have had experience working there.

I'm in South Korea at the moment and I'm honestly not earning enough money and I'm seriously considering working in the UAE. From the ad.'s on this site I've read that for a young teacher like myself holding a 4yr college diploma in P.C. Engineering as well as TEFL/TESL certifications and plenty of teaching experience, both in my home country as well as here in South-East Asia, earning around $37,000 USD annually is very realistic.

Is this true? If I came over and taught there with what I have to bring to the table, could I earn around this much?

Furthermore, in regards to privates: teaching privates here in SK just about doubles your income. What are the extra private teaching conditions like? How much do you earn from these work opportunities? Is it any similar to what I'm doing here in SK?

Lastly, ball-park figures on expenses? How much do any of you spend monthly on housing and the rest?

I would like to make a financial step for just maybe a year or two then return home and I would Really appreciate any info. any of you could provide.

Thank you kindly.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint Moi, it all depends on your educational background. Your B.A. is not something the schools would be looking for, and since I don't know the nature of your TEFL certificates, it's difficult to answer your question. But in general, you need a Master's degree to make that kind of money. HCT is one of the few places that hires without a Master's at those rates to my knowledge. Again, it boils down to your certificates. However, have you thought of working in the pc industry? There is much more money in it than in teaching.
saint_moi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts GF. Teaching is precisely why I'm not working in the P.C. Industry. I hate it. I've read job ad.'s for the UAE here and not all of them stipulate having an MA is a requirement to landing employment, at roughly that pay-rate. My certs are for short practical courses in the EFL / ESL field and I would come recommended by schools back in my home country and here in S.Korea. Do you think it's not realistic for someone like myself to make it there same as you have?

Thank you kindly,

the Saint
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem SM. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by your question. I'm not commenting on whether you should or shouldn't make any kind of money-just trying to reflect on the reality I know here. My knowledge is limited to tertiary institutions which usually require a Master's. I prefer these strictly because they don't have an economic bottom-line, which other private institutions have. I have worked for similar outfits that have only moneymaking on their mind before elsewhere, and generally didn't enjoy them. The UAE is full of them, but I have never met anyone working for them. Maybe others can fill in the gap. Good luck.

P.S. BTW, let me beat Scot47 to the punch here: it is illegal to teach privates in the UAE Wink Of course there are plenty of them and lots of "legally" employed teachers moonlight. Including myself, from time to time. Mea maxima culpa Wink
hmbaba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: basics for a kid like me Reply with quote

Hello SM,
Apart from tertiary, there are technical schools here, and English medium primary and secondary schools, and all sorts of colleges (like Skyline College) and ADNOC and TSI and some Nursing Colleges and Berlitz and ELS and an Aviation College.
I don't know anything about these places, but maybe someone out there does?
Suggest you get on the internet and do a search and start applying - don't know if now if a good time - maybe Easter next year. Also, get some info from the local UAE Embassy about schools/colleges.
Somewhere may accept your qualifications - try and it and see. And, in the meantime, since here they do understand BA/Bsc and MA - see what you can do about finishing off course, etc. to convert them into recognised qualifications.
BTW, if you get an external contract, places often give housing or a housing allowance. As to your expense - no idea.
Best advice - get an MA and take it from there.
Regards,
Heather Baba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: