Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master's "In Hand"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Master's "In Hand"? Reply with quote

Hi,

Am currently working in KSA but am planning to leave soon in order to do a Master's in Applied Linguistics in my home town.
I have only one reason for doing this degree: to get a job in the UAE. Although I have considerable teaching experience, everywhere in the UAE turned me down flat due to a loack of a Masters Degree. I believe that the course will take a year, and that I will - insh'allah! - be awarded the Masters towards the end of 2004.
My question is: will any instituition (I'm thinking mainly of universities and HCT) accept me before I'm actually holding the piece of paper? In other words, would it be possible for me to get a job in Autumn 2004? I'm told that many places demand that applicants have the Masters "in hand" as they put it - ie, it's not good enough to say, well, I hope to be awarded the degree in a few month's time.
Any thoughts?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo,

Just to make your situation seem harder, the majority of the good positions in the Emirates want an MA plus X number of years experience. And they only count experience AFTER the MA.

That said, if they are having trouble getting people in the next year or so, that may help them change their minds. Smile

Go get that MA anyway and worry about the experience thing when you're done. Smile Worst case situation would be spending a couple of years in a place like Oman where the pay is less, but there are some acceptable jobs that you can get. (country and students are great!!) Then you have something to put on the CV post MA and you can move into the best UAE jobs.

VS
hmbaba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Masters in hand Reply with quote

On the other hand, VS, some places don't require post-MA experience, especially if you have quite a few years before the MA, and have Middle East experience.
When I went to UAEU in '96, I had done all my MA coursework and submitted the thesis - was awaiting ratification which didn't come till late Sept. Several of us were in that boat that year - but that was when UAEU didn't require an MA. However, based on what I remember of other cases there more recent than mine, I think you might have a chance with them if you are a good way into the MA (documented) and if the ratification date is at the start of the academic year. Some places also accept people to start in January. I'd also like to say that I got an instant pay raise backdated to the date of ratification. They will need an original doc from the University concerned, posted direct to them, to say you have been awarded an MA.
Also, the first batch of 3-year contracts at UAEU expire next year, so it might be a good year to apply.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the 3-years expiring next year, hmbaba. UAEU has done a lot of hiring this year too, but so far all the people that I know that are going there have MAs plus lot of experience in the area. I suspect that pre-MA experience, especially in the Middle East, may very well help get you in the door.

As hiring expands in the UAE because of expanding student numbers, they are getting more liberal in their requirements. Also, applications are down at some places due to the whole political situation.

So hopefully no worries Cleo Smile

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

You made me a bit nervous when you talked about post MA experience! It seems a bit harsh esp. when I've got 10 years experience, incl. some here in KSA. What hmbaba said about UAEU is heartening, though.

What about HCT? Is it true that they don't requie the MA and will accect the post-grad Dip?

By the way, are you the same Veiled Sentiments who posts on the LP Thorn Tree?
Mark100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTC will hire if you have a diploma although a masters is preferable.
Most of the unis require min. of masters.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo,

Yes, it's the same me on TT. We retired people have time on our hands rather often to play on the web. Smile Have you noticed that most of my advice is sending people over here?

The story on MA's in the Gulf is that when I first arrived in the mid-80's most everyone was requiring one. The culture tends to like degrees and pieces of paper from academic institutions. But, it seems that it was mostly Americans that had them. We have all read all the arguments about what makes a good teacher. Smile But, the decision to loosen up on the MAs was more political and/or a touch of the realities of supply and demand.

As colleges and universities have grown, requirements have slowly loosened. Of course, the more that you can bring to the table, the better your chances of getting the job. But, in places with pay that goes up by degree and experience, the steps seem to always be tied to experience after the MA. If there are exceptions, I hope that someone will point them out to us. The only one that I know is not in the Gulf; it is the American University in Cairo.

I believe that ZU still requires experience after the MA. Anyone know different out there??

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: masters in hand Reply with quote

Cleopatra: Pretty much all the big ones now require masters in hand. HCT will take diploma level in some cases, however, Zayed, UAE and MLI want to see the paper. That's all the're concerned about. I've seen people hired with ANY masters over someone who has excellent experience like yourself. Good luck!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, Stoth, that doesn't sound all that encouraging!

however, I had heard that MLI did not in fact absolutely require the Masters. Am I wrong?
grand fromage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring you the bad news Cleopatra, but MLI will not hire you without a Master's in-hand. No exceptions. However, they used to hire for the Naval Academy that only required a Bachelor's degree, but I haven't heard of that place needing anyone in a long time. Also, if you go to their website (mli.ac.ae), you will see that they are recruiting for a new school they just acquired under their wing: The Air Force College in Al Ain. However, MLI itself will not talk to you unless you claim you will have your Master's degree in-hand before your arrival, so they will in fact interview you if you are in your last year of studies. I can remember one guy who got hired by MLI with a B.A. only for a project that was history by the time he arrived, and he wasn't allowed to teach even if there was a teacher crunch! He was asked to do amin stuff the whole year or so he was here. Finally, they found an excuse to fire him with 5 minutes notice (not kidding, he was asked to one of the officer's offices for what he thought was an interview for the MLI Magazine-instead he was told it was his last day there. Just one of the realities of working anywhere in the M.E.-they prefer you to leave and pay you the last month's salary than give you the notice and deal with a disgruntled employee that could cause damage to the institution)
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: grand fromage is right Reply with quote

Grand Fromage is right, Cleopatra. I got an email from MLI saying we're interested, but when will you have that masters??? Khalifa Air COllege advertises that they will take people with a Masters in TESOL, Applied Ling. etc...OR a BA plus TESOL Dip OR a BA with TESOL cert. Really and truly that's what their ad states. This ad has run several times in various locations and even as recent as late July. I followed their instructions, went to the MLI site, clicked on Khalifa College and went from their. Heard nothing. I followed up with the individual who orginially contacted me at MLI and asked him about the ad. Afer all, it does state that you can work with a BA. His response: Thank you for your email. Please advise when you will have the masters in hand.

And that was the end of that. They used to hire people without the paper, but not anymore.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange that they didn't even want to consider you for the Khalifa Cllege, Sloth. Unless you applied recently and they had all the people they needed. Another thought (just a thought though) is that despite the college requiring onla a B.A, MLI itself may prefer people with a Master's so that such a person could be used in another of their schools if the need arose. Transferring beteween the different MLI-run schools is relatively easy here so someone with a B.A. would only be able to work in one place. But this is purely SPECULATION on my part.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it is indeed interesting.

Normally, job ads specify certain qualifications but in reality are sometimes prepared to accept less. Seems like it's the other way round with the MLI. Maybe they just got more MA level applicants than they had anticipated?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: