Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Schengen Agreement and Helpful 411

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kololam77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: The Schengen Agreement and Helpful 411 Reply with quote

The Schengen Agreement states that:

U.S. and Canadian passport holders with tourist status receive 90 days upon entrance into a Schengen country (most of Western Europe). Regardless of how many times one enters or exits Schengen countries for other countries (whether Schengen or not), a fresh 90 day stamp WILL NOT be given upon reentry.

The aforementioned 90 days are given once during each 6 month period and expire after the 6 months are up or the 90 days are up - whatever arrives first. Once the 90 days or 6 months expire, a U.S. or Canadian citizen must exit the Schengen country and return to a non-Schengen country (typically their home country) for 6 months before returning to any Schengen country (to be exact, a simple Google search should reveal what countries are part of the agreement - again most of W. Europe seems to be included).

Practical example: If one enters France on 1/1/07 and stays for 60 continuous days and then travels to Spain for 30 more continuous days (both Schengen countries) - time is up! He or she must exit Europe and cannot travel back to any Schengen country for 6 months.

A residency permit - offered by Germany and Spain (that I know of) - can assist with this, but I am not certain if the residency permit itself solves the 90 day - 6 month issue. I have heard it (the residency permit) only allows one to stay longer (how much longer I do not know - can vary depending on situation) in a Schengen country of choice, but does not give extended tourist status if the 90 days have expired AND one must show proof of employment, proof of full time study, or proof of marriage before the actual request for a residency permit can be made. There are other items necessary to process the residency permit. A list can easily be obtained by checking the appropriate embassy website. If someone can offer more precise info. re: the residency permit as it relates to the 90 day - 6 month issue I would greatly appreciate it. I was told today at the German embassy in Berlin that if I am issued a residency permit I must stay in Germany for six months before traveling outside Germany again since my original 90 days have expired.

I trust this post was helpful.

Last edited by kololam77 on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kololam77, could you post this on the General Europe forum and maybe the newbie forum as well? There are so many non-EU member citizens on Dave's who need this kind of concrete information. It's extremely useful!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: