Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT - Adjunct Faculty (should I take it?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastanza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: HCT - Adjunct Faculty (should I take it?) Reply with quote

Hi,

I might be starting at HCT as a part-time English Faculty. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me what the salary would be like? Are adjunct faculties paid on an hourly basis? What are working hours like? Is a there a chance of a full time position in the future?

Please advise�need to know asap.
Manny2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kastanza

I see from your other posts that you have BA and BEd but no Masters so the going rate is DH120 an hour. You will have fulltime hours that is 20 and will only get paid for those not for prep or meetngs .Although I believe some adjuncts are given a monthly salary and a contract of sorts to ensure they go to meetings etc. If you are being offered an adjunct position obviously they are seeing reason at last as the lastest ruling was that all adjuncts must have Masters in hand. As far as getting a fulltime position it is very unlikely as you do not have the above mentioned Masters and if they start hiring fulltime people for next semester you will be first out no matter how well you have done your job - just ask all the other adjuncts who have been dumped in the last two weeks as a result of the idiotic Masters ruling.

PS do not worry about making your decision under pressure from the HCT, with all the extra student coming on board over the next few weeks they will be offering jobs to anyone who is upright and breathing..
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny2 wrote:
PS do not worry about making your decision under pressure from the HCT, with all the extra student coming on board over the next few weeks they will be offering jobs to anyone who is upright and breathing..

And so it has always been... Laughing

As long as you are there with a spouse who has a normal expat package, it is a good deal. But since you probably have little chance of a contract with no MA, don't let them push you into meetings and baloney for which you are not getting paid. I would also be inclined to set my hours based on my teaching... that is what 'adjunct' means in the US. I would feel that I am there the hours for which I am paid... and the rest of the day is mine. (unless, of course, they would like to give you a full benefit package)

VS
Wigwam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try to negotiate hours work on the basis of kids and schooling. If you don't want to attend meetings, then they may see that as an unwillingness to be involved. But be firm, if you have other responsibilities then stand by your conviction otherwise they may keep asking for more and more.
Kastanza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, Manny2, and WW�thank you for responding to my questions.

Manny2,

You had mentioned 20 hours per week�is it up to 20 hrs, or a definite 20 hrs?
Also what is the latest class at HCT? Do they have evening classes?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that depends on which branch... I know that some of them have evening classes, but not all. ... and how many classes they need to cover...

The world over adjuncts are gap fillers...
Afra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some colleges, adjuncts have a contract for the semester for the hours they teach. Usually, this mean that they have to attend meetings, marking sessions during the exam periods, department activities such as materials writing, etc. during independent learning week if the college has such a thing and so on. It also usually means that they are entitled to the same professional development possibilities as the permanent staff. The catch is, they are normally expected to be available to students outside of classroom time, so they can't arrive just before class and then leave immediately after. If you have 20 hours, you might be expected to be there for 40 and it has been know for supervisors to timetable adjuncts at either end of the day, 8 - 10 and them 3 - 5 to ensure this, so you need to agree suitable hours before you sign anything. The Men's colleges usually have morning and afternoon classes, which may go on until 9.30 pm. A lot depends on the college and your supervisor.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you get all the crap of a full foreign hire contract with NONE of the benefits other than an acceptable hourly rate.

I'm afraid that personally I would suggest that they... do something inappropriate... with that abusive and ridiculous contract. Shocked

Hopefully not enough people will be desperate enough to accept this travesty and can negotiate with an honorable supervisor for something vaguely realistic.

VS
Strolling minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Take it - on your terms Reply with quote

If you would like the chance to earn some extra dosh, get plugged into the UAE teaching world, enjoy some excellent PD and get a useful entry on your CV, take it.

Like any job you make sure you know what it is you are letting yourself in for and that it will not cause grief for you at home.

1. The contract. This should state what the payment is for. Is it for teaching only? Teaching and preparation? Teaching preparation and marking? Teaching preparation marking and attending meetings? This list may sound daft, but its worth checking item by item what is included.

2. Timings. Check the class timings and the number of hours they want you to attend. Do they suit you?

3. Weeks. Will they engage and pay you through Independent learning Week and the last weeks of the semester which are non-teaching?

4. Ramadan. What happens during Ramadan? Will I get paid for hours taught or for periods? Note that during Ramadan the teaching "hour" shrinks

Incidentally, I have known adjuncts at HCT getting a bigger paycheck at the end of the month than other FT staff.

Good luck
Afra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An adjunct on contract is paid for the contract hours whether teaching or not and the full 'normal' class time is paid during Ramadan. As far as I know, both Dubai HCTs offer contracts. It's usually a better deal than the hourly rate.
Manny2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Abu Dhabi HCT's also offer contracts as it is the only way that ensures that adjuncts do exam marking and invigilation and can be available to cover. I believe that the contract does offer a better deal but remember if they need you then you have should be clear on what signing a contract entails and that the hours will suit you, do not simply accept anything as while they are desperate they will come across as very reasonable then you get in and you find that they want you do do all these extra things that you will not be paid for...and people do in the hope of getting offered a full time job.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, if one is paid an hourly rate, it should be for the hours that they require you to be on their property... not just the hours that you stand in front of the students.

All those extra hours are in effect compensated with a full foreign hire contract as you get a housing allowance, furniture allowance, annual tickets, and a gratuity.

If you must be there for 40 hours, teach 20 and only get paid for 20 X the hourly rate mentioned on this thread, you are pretty much being screwed and the hourly rate cut in half. You are now down to US$16 an hour, which are slave wages in adjunct education. Two or three added 'office hours' might be acceptable. Available for cover? Only if they pay you for it...

The whole adjunct system, especially here in the US, is just creeping teacher abuse. Check the fine print anyone who has as offer for this. In particular if you have an MA and experience, don't sell yourself cheap. This year the numbers of students may help to give you some bargaining power.

Good advice from Strolling Minstrel...

VS
ckhl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be inclined to set my hours based on my teaching... that is what 'adjunct' means in the US. I would feel that I am there the hours for which I am paid..

Thank you. Adjuncts were supposedly a thing of the past but they've been brought back. Attend meetings? You must be crazy. You come in, do your prep, teach and leave. If they tell you to attend meeting etc, just ignore them and call their bluff. If they call you on it, say, but continue to defy. Take it from me...a full timer who's been at the HCT for ten years. One thing I concluded long ago...life is ok if you're left to teach your classes. It's the admin side that's the problem. They've got nothing to do so they create things to do and enlist faculty for their own self promotion. Keep your head down. If asked to do anything, do a subpar jot so you're not asked again. Pay lip service but do what you like once they turn their backs. It's more or less worked for me.
ckhl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, if one is paid an hourly rate, it should be for the hours that they require you to be on their property... not just the hours that you stand in front of the students.

Hear, hear. I don't know what these other people are on about. They may just be plain paranoid and feel this job is high stakes. Kid's education to pay for? Debts to pay off? Addicted to the..."lifestyle"? I hate that. Just what exactly is the....lifestyle? Driving an SUV? Having a house cleaner? Ahh...the travel. It was for me some years ago but I've built up enough capital to make it less so now. You pay lip service and then defy once management's back is turned.
TABING

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Couldn't have said it better myself! Reply with quote

ckhl

My sentiments exactly after several years at HCT.

When asked to do something, I use the patent student reply: "In shal-lah". how can they possibly question the will of God?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: