Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I must live in Germany, and yes I'm getting married :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaraLF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: I must live in Germany, and yes I'm getting married :) Reply with quote

From what I read of your postings I don't have to worry about EU laws.

I must move there I am getting married and I need to work for my mental health. I would go crazy without a job or school. I can't transfer to my boyfriend's school because it's German military and I am not joining the German army. I have limits Smile I'm not the kind of girl who's going to end up a stay at home mom, I paid way too much for my education.

I have considered grad school but I'd like to put that off for a couple years. So I need to get a job in Germany without speaking German. That goes back to ESL.

Does anyone know of any good schools in Prague? I understand that no one here thinks getting certified online is a good idea.

Thanks guys
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: I must live in Germany, and yes I'm getting married :) Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
From what I read of your postings I don't have to worry about EU laws.

I must move there I am getting married and I need to work for my mental health. I would go crazy without a job or school. I can't transfer to my boyfriend's school because it's German military and I am not joining the German army. I have limits Smile I'm not the kind of girl who's going to end up a stay at home mom, I paid way too much for my education.

I have considered grad school but I'd like to put that off for a couple years. So I need to get a job in Germany without speaking German. That goes back to ESL.

Does anyone know of any good schools in Prague? I understand that no one here thinks getting certified online is a good idea.

Thanks guys

You have British, Irish or Greel immediate ancestry? Is that why you don't have to worry? As someone who has lived and worked in both Asia and Europe you are never going to pay off your loans by working in Europe and even if you are legal...with no EFL experience or a CELTA how do you expect to get decent work? I still understand why you are exempt from EU law restrictions, care to clarify that one?
SaraLF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: edited postings Reply with quote

alright, y'all should be ashamed of how negative you are and how unwilling you are to help. And it looks like you took out that little bit that was posted before about how marriage to an EU national gives you that same status as a Brit or the Irish. Thankfully I have a university professor who's worked in Europe and he has offered to help me.

I'm disappointed in you guys, I really thought I would get some good advice here.
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: edited postings Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
alright, y'all should be ashamed of how negative you are and how unwilling you are to help. And it looks like you took out that little bit that was posted before about how marriage to an EU national gives you that same status as a Brit or the Irish. Thankfully I have a university professor who's worked in Europe and he has offered to help me.

I'm disappointed in you guys, I really thought I would get some good advice here.

Lass you got fine advice from people in the know...and with all due respect you are talking out of your arse. A green around the ears Ami with only the vagest notion of how it works in the EU and specifically Germany. So you have a professor? na und? Do you know how much tax you are going to pay in Germany? about 40%. and you want to pay off debts with some sort of lame hiwi job? Good luck and that with no German? If you marry your boyfriend (presumably an EU person) you wil have legal rights to work and stay but with your qualifications you will find next to nothing in Germany. Do you know how many German uni grads are unemployed or working as waiters, yes people with Phds....and you are going to burst on the scene as an Ami with no German language and save 300 USD a month? Maerchenland: fairy tale land, I hope at least your relationship is a fairy tale since you are not going to fare well with your attitude...get a clue and grow up, even better read up on the EU and Germany... Rolling Eyes
Showem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaraLF, if bothered to look at the forum a bit, you would see that getting answers usually isn't instantaneous. Calm down your need for instant gratification and your ungrateful responses and you might get better advice.
SaraLF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: true Reply with quote

I've got a year, so yes, you are right. Calm would probably be a good idea and I should not jump on everyone because a few people have a negative outlook.

Anyway I'm looking for help.
plummy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaraLF,

I would definitely recommend working on some German proficiency. It'll be fun, and ultimately really helpful. Also, being in a Deutsch als Fremdsprache course at a local Volkshochschule or at a university is a great way to meet people.

ESL is definitely an option for you, and there are certification programs in major German cities like Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich. Check out the Berlin School of English's website for one example of such a program: http://berlin.school-of-english.de/celta/

I really don't know whether accomodation during your certification will be cheaper in Prague. But a certification program in Germany might keep you closer to your fiance and immersed in the culture you'll live in in future. You might have your fiance help you comb through ads for short-term subleases in German cities where ESL programs are available. Lots of cheap short-term student-style accomodations are advertised for August/September and February/March because these months are when students go on semester breaks. Many students take internships in other cities at these times of the year and are in need of subleasers. These might be ideal times to take ESL certification. (Additionally, I've noticed that some programs offer reduced tuition during off-peak times like in February.)

Finally, in your post, you seem to be saying that your main motive for working is just to keep yourself busy and get yourself out of the house. If your motivation is not primarily financial, you have a lot of freedom in the type of job or activity you want to do. You might find fun opportunities outside of the corporate-geared ESL job scene. And if volunteer work appeals to you, you could definitely get involved in many different work spheres. Keep an open mind! Smile
plummy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your original post, Sara, and want to change my suggestion.

Really, your situation doesn't sound like it's going to be financially feasible unless you can get your parents/boyfriend to support you. If I were in your position, I would probably try to get admitted to an taught-in-English Masters program at a German university, defer my student loans, and get my parents to support me. Some programs charge tuition, others do not.

However, you'd be in Germany, you'd be studying, and you'd have access to university intensive German courses.

I hope you can make things work!
SaraLF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: money Reply with quote

Well he offered to support me, but really who wants to live off someone else? The plan is more of a pooled income which will help take the pressure off me until I can learn the language and decide if I have the option of going to grad school or not. But I still need to make some money just to help with the rent, pay my loan and ensure we can save money for vacation so I can see my family.

My understanding from talking to my boyfriend is that I shouldn't expect to make as money as I would in states because Germans make less on average. Even a part time job would suffice but I am very ambitious. The last couple of years I've juggled multiple jobs with full time or overload courses and I like it. I also plan to have enough money to pay my bills for a few months while I look for a job.

Does anyone know of any ESL schools around Dresden? That's where his apartment is right now. I'm not really sure when we're moving to Hamburg.
SaraLF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: edited postings Reply with quote

Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the others here that Sara is being too optimistic.

Jobs are hard to find. I would suggest using the time in Germany to learn and/or improve your German.
Deicide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I have to agree with the others here that Sara is being too optimistic.

Jobs are hard to find. I would suggest using the time in Germany to learn and/or improve your German.

Mate, she calls honesty and genuine knowledge negativity...she is swimming in the dark...
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would probably try to get admitted to an taught-in-English Masters program at a German university, defer my student loans, and get my parents to support me. Some programs charge tuition, others do not.

She will eventually have to pay her loans so how is that going to help. Actually if you plan on not ever working in the US or applying for a mortgage, then you really don't need to pay back those student loans. There isn't much they can do to you if you don't work in the US.
Like a Rolling Stone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: money Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
Well he offered to support me... poo... which will help take the pressure off me until I can ... pay my loan and ensure we can save money for vacation so I can see my... Germans ... but I am very ambitious. The last couple of years I've juggled ...around Dresden...to Hamburg.

Wink
Deicide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: What kind of dream world are you living in? Reply with quote

All of these people who speak German, live or have lived there and are in the know are telling you what the situaion is like and you just rant on about things you are clueless about...seriously...please reread the replies to you... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: