Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

goa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gypsywoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: goa Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on Goa, teaching schools and accomodation etc. Just general info.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jammish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that were anyone lucky enough to have a job teaching ESL somewhere as nice as Goa, they would keep the information all to themselves...
gypsywoman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: goa Reply with quote

Ha-ha, well at least one person replied!
I haven't been to Goa yet, its on my wish list of places to see. It looks so interesting and nice in photos, but quite often places let you down when you get there. Have you been there? I'd be interesting in getting your opinion on the place.
Cheers
Alexandra
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goa's one of the nicest places in India, mostly because it's an "escape" from India itself. Most of the roads are usuable and it lacks many of the negative aspects of India, but takes some of the most positive (friendly people, etc.). Not to mention the beaches and food are great.
I don't know of ESL teaching jobs there. I suspect they're hard to find because many people in India speak English, and the ones who do are the ones who would be able to afford a language school! The best case, and the way I got to India, was through accent training for a multinational. There may be something like that Goa's way, though I think most of those jobs are in Bangalore and Chennai (at least in the south), and perhaps Hyderabad. Anyway, all those places mentioned are on 1 1/2 to 2 hours by air and very cheap using Deccan Air (maybe a few thousand rupees), so you can work all week and get out to Goa no problem... I did when I could!
Good luck.
jp
jammish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been to goa, in 1995. although the beaches aren't amazing (thailand is way better ) it's a wonderful place with a unique feel.

I think the only way to teach in india (other than voluntary) would be to be a qualified teacher and workat an international school.
jammish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that Bangalore definitely seemed like one of the most 'pleasant/westernised' Indian cities when I visited. If one was going to reside in a large Indian city, Bangalore would be top of the list.

Anyone living in the area would also be morally obliged to check out Hampi.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed somebody who worked in Bangalore a few months ago, and he said Bangalore was the most boring place he knew, and recommended I visited pretty well any other city in South India instead.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Bangalore Reply with quote

I concur. I lived in Bangalore for a year, and it is a pretty boring place. It's big enough, but there simply isn't much to do. My colleagues and I spent most of our time going out to restaurants and figuring out where to go when we leave Bangalore. It doesn't have much for cultural sites, either, although Mysore and Kerala are nearby (by Indian standards).
The city has grown much faster than the infrastructure, and the traffic and roads are atrocious. It's none too clean, either (probably not surprising in India, but), as there's a river of feces (not kidding) flowing directly under Airport Road, one of the main thoroughfares.
There are western comforts such as Pizza Hut, TGIF's (abutting the River of Sh*t), and (my savior) the Leela Palace, but apart from that not much else.
That being said, it is a decent place to be if you want to travel around southern and central India (Goa's about an hour's flight), and it iswhere most of the jobs are, with Microsoft, Dell, HP and other multinationals represented.
Perhaps Bangalore's best quality is that it isn't Chennai, which is a pit.
flapjack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to India but I have read about jobs offered teaching English to telemarketers or nurses. It's been a while since I have seen any of those offered here on Daves but it might bear looking into. I knew an Indian woman who told me the easiest place to find work is Mumbai(Bombay).
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. JPV! How is Russia treating you these days?? Smile

I have now been in Bangalore for about 15 months, and while it is not an exciting city to live in, it is (as others have said) a decent base for travel through the rest of India, and not far from Sri Lanka and Thailand as well. I have never heard of any English teaching jobs in Goa, but then, every time I have been, work has been the LAST thing on my mind!

I must also agree with JP that Chennai is much much worse than Bangalore - the weather here at least has something going for it, something to consider when LIVING in India for an extended time! The only teaching type jobs I have heard of are with telemarketing companies in Chennai and Mumbai, something with the British Council in Delhi, and the IT giants of Bangalore. I don't think we are doing any hiring any time soon here at Microsoft/Spectrum, but it is (in my not completely informed opinion) the best gig in India.

**Hampi is a must see, especially if you are into archaelogical sites!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and informative thread. Actually I'm a bit more interested in traveling throughout India and getting to know some of their bigger and more interesting areas/cities.

Interesting about Bangalore and the jobs. I did know someone else who lived there, and he seems to hate all of India because of it. The boring factor is what he attributed it to.

Goa is a place I'd like to see, and this thread certainly confirms that. Mumbai is the other I think I'd really enjoy getting to know well.

Nontheless, thanks for the interesting insight into India that was shown through this thread.
Sanjay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Goa Reply with quote

A new school called Incredible English has opened in Southern Goa and was hiring teachers recently.
rparamble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Teaching in India? Reply with quote

Right
Im thinking of moving back to India. Any jobs going that anyone would like to tell me about? I'm CELTA qualified got three years experience and bored of Europe even though I live in Italy.
I need to get myself some nice chapatti and dal and chai.

So if anyone gives a *beep*, I'd really appreciate it. If not well, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. : )
Ciao people have a good christmas. Buone Natale as they say out here.
-p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: