Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health Insurance/ Care

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancynan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Health Insurance/ Care Reply with quote

I am planning to move to France next year. I am American, but have dual citizenship and hold a British passport in addition to my US one, so can legally live and work in France. I will need to have ongoing health care since, although I feel healthy and fine, I must take medication due to a cardiac condition. (I am also in my 50's, so can count on additional health concerns, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes ) Can anyone give me a brief overview of the healthcare system in France? Or, barring that, direct me to resources. I know I can search through Google, but I am hoping for some first hand experiences and advice. Thanks!
PeterBar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a "UK citizen" you are entitled to free medical care in France.

This bald statement is a little deceptive because yu would need to obtain an E111 form (unless the number has recently been changed) pay your medical fees at the time of treatment and then later claim them back through the NHS at a later date.

This is probably further complicated if you have not recently made NI contributions in the UK.

If/When you establish permanent residence in France the French authorities would provide you with a 'Carte Vital'e' which you would show to doctors and hospitals in order to receive medical treatment, (for which you would pay prior to being partially repaid by the CPAM.)

Most people also have a "Complementaire" or medical insurance which repays the differences between what you pay and what you are re-paid by the CPAM. This also provides single rooms etc in hospitals if you are 'frileux', as I am.

The second pasport helps but you would need to prove that you have contributed to the State Health system in the UK and you would probably be unable to provide those proofs.
No government likes to pay out when no EU personal health contributions can be shown to have been paid.

Do people get free health care in your 'first passport' country?
fancynan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Naturally, I have not paid into the UK health system as I live in the US - where I DO carry an insurance policy.

" No government likes to pay out when no EU personal health contributions can be shown to have been paid. Do people get free health care in your 'first passport' country?" (Quote from Peter)

Jeez, who said anything about free health care? I am interested in how/where to obtain health insurance as well as the figuring out the types of insurance and what I will need; not looking for a "free" ride. If you can assist in that, thanks in advance.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Jeeze', getting health insurance couldn't be easier - just walk into any high street insurance company office, or any bank where you have an account and say "Je voudrais une assurance Complementaire"

Pay the money and carry the certificate with you.

However, unless you have a resident's permit or have established legal status my guess is that the majority of the costs of medical treatment would be paid my you, with the 'complementaire' topping up a small percentage.
It could be that you cannot obtain the complementaire unless you have legal residence status.
go2guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fancynan -- There is absolutely nothing saying you have to had paid into the UK health system in order to qualify for French medical benefits (I never did, having lived most of my life in Canada before coming here). There are however various chicken-and-egg scenarios in terms of residency vis-a-vis health insurance coverage and who/how you pay depends on the status you decide to assume ("vacataire" or "travailleur independent"). Bottom line is your UK citizenship will definitely get you covered for health insurance, just as it would any French person. Yes, you will need to "top up" with a complementary "mutuelle", but if you shop around you will find a good plan that will also cover most drugs prescribed by an authorized medical practitioner and covered by the French social security list of recognized meds. Not to worry, health care for EU citizens in France is excellent, and immediate.
fancynan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I appreciate the straight info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: