Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

islam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: islam Reply with quote

I am well read on the Islamic religion.I was just thinking if there were any exceptions in the UAE.Is the Sheik joking or is this an option?
spicegirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er ..... ? What did I miss?
Manny2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: What ??? Reply with quote

Hak
Are you continuing a thread or starting a new one ??? This posting makes no sense. Exceptions to what in the UAE, and Sheikhs are not in the habit of joking concerning Islam.
nomadykaty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP was commenting on what Sheik said in his previous post about being together for aleast 6 months.

If you apply as a couple, you'll need to show proof of marriage.
So you'll have to figure that out.
nomadykaty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the OP was commenting on what Sheik said in his previous post about being together for aleast 6 months.

If you apply as a couple, you'll need to show proof of marriage.
So you'll have to figure that out.
Manny2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks nomadykathy, I figured it out- the posting is a continuation of 'Partners'.

Hak the Sheikh was joking and he forgot to include a Laughing .

As the previous poster said here a couple means married, and yes many places do like applications from married couples who have teaching qualifications as it means one set of allowances. The UAE is an Islamic country and Sharia law applies and if I remember from your previous posts you teach in an Islamic school in Australia so you know that in Islam there is no recognition of relationships outside of marriage and in all cases they are illegal, so no educational institution here would dare to recognise them either.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny2 wrote:

As the previous poster said here a couple means married, and yes many places do like applications from married couples who have teaching qualifications as it means one set of allowances. The UAE is an Islamic country and Sharia law applies and if I remember from your previous posts you teach in an Islamic school in Australia so you know that in Islam there is no recognition of relationships outside of marriage and in all cases they are illegal, so no educational institution here would dare to recognise them either.

Not disputing any of this, but this is an interesting read on the subject of sex, marriage & Islam.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/homestead/2005-January/003927.html
hak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks guys.Sorry fot the confusion Embarassed It looks like my application will be single.
kiefer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Marble Veneer Reply with quote

When a US Army unit took over one of Saddam Hussein's palaces, he grabbed a hammer and cracked the marble floor only to find a thin layer of marble over a cement pre-floor. As though the home owner couldn't afford a thick truly marble floor. What's the point of the analogy?

Surprisingly, the UAE is supposed to be a fairly conservative Islamic country. This may have a lot to do with the massive population of people like Khan the taxi man--from Peshawar.

Unlike my current home town, Al Khobar, there are no mutawa so far as I know in the UAE.

The UAE is famous for its night club scene and a thriving prostitution industry. However, recently when YouTube ran a documentary on the Armenian hooker trade, Etisalat--the Internet provider blocked YouTube. See no evil and all that.

Is the UAE an conservative Islamic country? There is a veneer. That's about it.
caliph

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tTere are plenty of Mutawah in the UAE. Unlike SA they are not organized into Vice and Virtue cadres. Mutawah are regular people who have elected to do good deeds in the name of Islam. I had one in every class I taught(of course) and the majority of them were very nice, and open to different opinions, not rabid Islamists.
kiefer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Some similarities in the KSA Reply with quote

In KSA, just be extra sensitive to what you say in class, don't hesitate to rip out textbook pages which suggest one should attend the church of their choice and do use a magic markers to blot out words like "girlfriend" or references to bacon and eggs for breakfast or Jewish delies.

But all in all, I wish I had more than just a couple/three mutawas per class. They sit, they listen, they ask relevent questions, they do homework, they are mindful of tolerance toward all peoples as stated repeatedly in Quran and hadith. They are men--not boys.

Still, unlike Bahrain or the UAE, they would not tolerate a hooker industry in KSA whatsoever. The shebab who need to "wax their mules" simply cross the causeway to the tiny Kingdom of Bahrain.

I am surprised there are mutawa in the UAE AND that they co-exist or tolerate the UAE's multi-million dollar ladies-of-the-evening, not so black, not so underground libidinous hooker market.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"multi-million dollar ladies-of-the-evening..."

From what I have heard from expat (male) friends living in Dubai, these ladies are hardly "million dollars"... Most are Russians and are much less expensive than what similiar ladies cost in places such as London, NYC.
kiefer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: The documentary that got YOUTUBE blocked for a few weeks Reply with quote

vashdown2,

Actually, these days, there seem to be less Russian prostitutes; there now seems to be a superabundance of Chinese, African and Armenian virtually slaves.

Here is the link to the YOUTUBE documentary: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6150836860448657774&q=armenian+prostitutes+uae&hl=en
made by www.hetq.am.

It is shocking to see how shamelessly the police look the other way, especially when clubs like The Cyclone close and bar girls turn into street walkers.

Even more appalling is how enlightened and well-informed the movers and Sheikhers are about this industry.

What you will get from the documentary is how quickly after the girls arrive, within days they are automatically heavily indebted to their "sponsors" for housing, airfares, etc, and how destitute they quickly become despite their nightly payoffs.

Basically they are indentured, enslaved servants who often take years to repay their loans before they can get an exit visa.

This is but one of the charades found in many of organized faiths. It only seems more detestable in a faith that purports to form a powerful spiritual mechanism for building morally strong individuals and a community equipped to overcome the evil impulses (eg. lusts for illegal wealth, power, sex, etc)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The documentary that got YOUTUBE blocked for a few weeks Reply with quote

kiefer wrote:
..It is shocking to see how shamelessly the police look the other way, especially when clubs like The Cyclone close and bar girls turn into street walkers.

Even more appalling is how enlightened and well-informed the movers and Sheikhers are about this industry.

What you will get from the documentary is how quickly after the girls arrive, within days they are automatically heavily indebted to their "sponsors" for housing, airfares, etc, and how destitute they quickly become despite their nightly payoffs.

Basically they are indentured, enslaved servants who often take years to repay their loans before they can get an exit visa.

This is but one of the charades found in many of organized faiths. It only seems more detestable in a faith that purports to form a powerful spiritual mechanism for building morally strong individuals and a community equipped to overcome the evil impulses (eg. lusts for illegal wealth, power, sex, etc)

The problem of prostitution has nothing to do with organized faith!
It is the results of the Big Sex mafia which are running this type of dirty business all over the world, and are using poor un-employed girls and women from Eastern Europe (Armenian, Polish, Russian, etc) to get quick money, and they lie to these girls by telling them that they will get work in Greece, London, and Dubai. But when the girls arrive to theses destination they will find themselves only to accept the reality and face their destiny, and some of them do it voluntarily and like it, because they get enough money so that they build their villas back home!
The Dubai rulers are turning a blind eye for this type of �dirty business�, because they are afraid from the West not to be classified as �fundamentalist Emirates� , and most importantly they do not like to loose �business� benefit from this type of dirty dealing, and want to show that Dubai is the �Las Vegas� of the ME. So their mind is in their pockets and they do not care about �moral� issues !!
If they wan to crack down on this illegal activities, they could do it, but, for some �political and business� reasons, they are turning a blind eye!

This is the other hidden face of DUBAI, it is LAS VEGAS of the Middle East!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hardly Las Vegas... anyone who has been to both cities could detect that difference. But, organized international prostitution follows the tourist trade. Once Dubai had decided that tourism was its future... supply followed demand. I expect that the "government" is paid well for allowing them to ply their trade openly.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: