Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting in over the wire?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Getting in over the wire? Reply with quote

Arrrrrrhh confusion strikes my small and meager brain, blood trickles from my ear's.
1)Do I need to buy a return ticket to get into Mexico? or do you just walk innocently passed border control whistling?

2)Whats the cheapest way in? Does it involve high fences, dogs and a man named Juan with a pair of wire cutters who laughs hysterically.

3) I know easyjet or Ryan air don't quite make it that far, any other companies that will fly you to Mexico for a packet of peanuts and a beer?

I'm going to see if I can find the answers to the above questions in beer now or at least forget about the questions long enough to ease my brain and stop the blood!

Cheers Pete
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ended your post with "Cheers" I doubt you are flying into mexico from the US. In California where I live I can fly into Mexico City for 250 roundtrip. Or I can take a 15 minute trolley ride down to the border and walk into Tijuana. Americans and Canadians dont need passports to go to Mexico just ID and/or birth certificate. If you are flying from Europe I would suggest looking into America West for ur flight from the US to Mexico this depends on your final destination
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MELEE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Marrero wrote:
If you ended your post with "Cheers" I doubt you are flying into mexico from the US.

Remeber what assume makes....

In this field there are many Estadounidenses, like myself, who have spent a great amount of time over the last decade hanging around with English speakers from all over the world. These things slip into our language. I believe I usually finish my posts with...

Cheers
MELEE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

From Northern Europe, many of my co-workers swear by the Russian airline (sorry the name escapes me at the moment--aroflat?) The flight route goes St. Petersburge to London--you can pick it up here--to Miami to Mexico City. It's long and the supposidly the food is terrible, but its cheap. The other option is to look for cheap tickets to Houston as Houston Mexico City is about the cheapes US-Mexico flight and hey the flight is just over 2 hours long. But if your interested in airplane window scenary, the flight path from Miami gives you a nice view of the Volcanos.

Cheers Twisted Evil
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Getting here... Reply with quote

The absolute cheapest method to move north to south...go find a driveaway service in a northern US state or Canada. Get paid to drive someone's car down to Florida, Arizona, or California. Use what they pay you to buy a one-way ticket in. You to Mexico for free. Honest, it works, though it's long. But hey, you get to see some of Georgia's finest roadside eateries. Toronto Driveaway is the only I know of...if they have the lights on yet.

Mel...happily married? Why aren't you on honeymoon? Or are you posting from a laptop on the beach?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dduck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Marrero wrote:
If you ended your post with "Cheers" I doubt you are flying into mexico from the US.

Pete also mentioned a couple of european operators: RyanAir, and EasyJet. So coupled with his 'Cheers' it seems likely that he's flying in from the UK.

I've not travelled across the pond much myself, so I can't say which is the cheapest method, but that Russian operator sounds interesting.

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer didn't provide many answers, only questions like what happened last night? Who�s stolen all the money out of my wallet? And why does my head feel like the back end of a cow?
Yes all of you are awarded the S. Holmes award for deduction. I am in fact from Blighty (England); sorry I didn't mention that vital piece of information. Embarassed
Just for the record not all of us English men are like Hugh Grant stuttering and stumbling every time we come across an emotion, conflict or prostitute named Devine!
O.K. some of us are exactly like that and I have been known to stutter and stumble, although usually it's due to a glass of wine to many. And some/most of the time when I'm talking to exceptionally beautiful women. Embarassed

Thanks for the pointer in the direction of Aeroflop (I think it's called this). This is the Russian airline which I've heard a number of horror stories connected with it. One captain put to the vote with the passengers whether they should turn round or continue because he wasn't sure he had enough fuel to get to there destination!!
But I'm looking to get to Mexico by the cheapest means so I'm willing to risk a little danger.
Failing that I'm going to have to pay �800 to a dirty travel agent for a return ticket Crying or Very sad

Cheers for the help

Pete
durango kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, not quite sure what your plans are but have you considered a charter flight? You can fly out of London Gatwick direct to Cancun or Vallarta with Air2000. If you have your bags packed and ready to go you can pick a ticket up for as little as �200. Of course the down side is the longest dated return they offer is 21 days so you'd effectively have to treat it as a one-way ticket and bin the return. Still it could work out a lot cheaper than the �800 pounds you've been quoted...
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For better or worse, I've laid out �800 large pound notes, to a dirty thieving travel agent (Although remarkably pretty), to fly into Guadalajara on Sept 1st.
I'm sure in the next two weeks I'll hear the many ways in which I could have done it cheaper, but oh well.
Cheers for the above though

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: