Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advice!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddream1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Need Advice! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, this is a great network of information but I have tons of questions to start off with. Ok so I am recent University Grad from Canada and am VERY INTRESTED in going to the UAE to teach and travel. I have been to Dubai before and feel in love with the place. The more I look into the schools it seems like a lot of them are looking for people that have Masters and PhD in English. I have a Bachelor of Science degree and the more I got interested in teaching English abroad I got my self an advanced TESOL certificate (120hrs) and over 3 years of tutoring elementary school children and have volunteer experience with teaching English to new comers in Canada. I am a 23 year old male and am Muslim so anywhere in the Middle East is ok for me. Soooo my question is what schools should I apply to or what schools will take me with the experience that I have? I would really prefer a place in Dubai but if worst come to worst I don�t mind considering other places in the Middle East. I would love any advice as to things to look for, how to go about applying and getting noticed in this type of work? Any advice from people that have taught in the Middle East would be a great help. I want to leave as soon as possible and am planning to leave by Jan. So to all those ESL teachers out there what schools would you recommend to me to consider. But I have one little catch that is I want to go for only about 6-8 months? So there�s my rant I know it sounds like a lot but any advice to a first timer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by oddream1 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice! Reply with quote

oddream1 wrote:
Hi everyone, this is a great network of information but I have tons of question to start off with. Ok so I am recent University Grad from Canada and am VERY VERY INTRESTED in going to the UAE to teach and travel. I have been to Dubai before and feel in love with the place. The more I look into the schools it seems like a lot of them are looking for people that have Masters and Phd in english. I have a Bachelor of Science degree and the more I got intrested in teaching english abroad I got my self an advanced TESOL certificate (120hrs) and over 3 years of tutoring elementry school children and have volunteer experience with teaching english to new comers in Canada. I am a 23 year old male and am muslim so anywhere in the middle east is ok for me. Soooo my question is what schools should I apply to or what schools will take me with the experience that I have? I would really prefer a place in Dubai but if worst come to worst I dont mind considering other places in the middle east. I would love any adivce as to things to look for, how to go about applying and getting noticed in this type of work? Any advice from people that have taught in the middle east would be a great help. I want to leave as soon as possible and am planning to leave by Jan. So to all those ESL teachers out there what schools would you recommend to me to consider. But I have one little catch, that is I want to go for only about 6-8 months? So theres my rant I know it sounds like a lot but any advice to a frist timer would be much appericated. Thanks in advance !

Well, your spelling is pretty bad, so you should be able to get a job just about anywhere.
oddream1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That�s reassuring; it was 3 in the morning when I wrote that, I don�t know if that�s sarcasm or good feedback.
globalnomad2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

What bad spelling? Maybe I read it quickly, but I just see a typo or two. This is not worth being didactic about.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no 6-8 month contracts in education that I know of. Most contracts are for 2-3 years. If you want to do a bit of short term teaching like this, you just show up and see if you can pick up some part time stuff at language schools. Just be sure that you bring enough money with you to pay for housing... Dubai is extremely expensive... and there are no benefits in this type of job.

VS
(and... English teachers tend to correct everything they read... so, if you make lots of language errors, you will probably get comments here. Laughing)
oddream1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I knew that the time thing was going to be a hurdle, what about outside UAE? Is Oman pretty much the same? Or should I forget my dreams of the Middle East and forget learning Arabic and go to Asia?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the Gulf is not the place to learn Arabic or the culture. Oman is great, but there are few, if any, drop in jobs and it is expensive there. I suggest that you consider a place like Morocco or Egypt or Syria. You can just go and pick up some teaching (with luck and leg work) and the cost of living is much lower. Plus, you will live within a culture where everyone around you is actually speaking Arabic. (I could go for days in the Gulf and not meet another Arabic speaker other than my students...)

Check out the Egypt section... and do a search on Syria or Morocco... Just be sure that you have a paid return ticket from home so that you can get back if you are broke. Laughing

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

globalnomad2 wrote:
What bad spelling? Maybe I read it quickly, but I just see a typo or two. This is not worth being didactic about.

INTRESTED
Phd
intrested
my self
elementry
english
new comers
muslim
middle east
come
theres
frist
appericated

"Appreciate" must be a particularly tough one this week. I see that Hebah in the "ESL and School Counselling" thread had a rough time with it, too. But this is not worth being didactic about.
Like a Rolling Stone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
didactic

fashionable word these days? Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh BD, but you know how you can always find the time to be 'didactic.' Cool

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing quite so pleasing as a good --um-- discussion.
Sheikh Inal Ovar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:

INTRESTED
Phd
intrested
my self
elementry
english
new comers
muslim
middle east
come
theres
frist
appericated

"Appreciate" must be a particularly tough one this week. I see that Hebah in the "ESL and School Counselling" thread had a rough time with it, too. But this is not worth being didactic about.

With those skills, BD, you could just waltz right into a job with the Microsoft-Word ABC-Spellcheck team ...
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Sheikh Inal Ovar wrote:
Bindair Dundat wrote:

INTRESTED
Phd
intrested
my self
elementry
english
new comers
muslim
middle east
come
theres
frist
appericated

With those skills, BD, you could just waltz right into a job with the Microsoft-Word ABC-Spellcheck team ...

But I always spell Micro$oft like this. There seems to be a problem with my middle finger.
Sheikh Inal Ovar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:

But I always spell Micro$oft like this. There seems to be a problem with my middle finger.

It's a good job you're not British or you'd have no digits left to type with ...
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A job for 6-8 months ? It does not work that way kiddo !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: