Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private students in UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollingchris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Private students in UAE Reply with quote

I was just wondering if someone new anything about how easy it is to get private students in UAE. My wife has taken a job at UAE University in Al Ain and I am trying to figure out what I am going to do if I go with her. I have done a lot of ESP work for the petroleum industry and taught Business English for many years. Do you know if it is possible to hook up with ESP work privately not necessarily with petroleum..maybe hotel, medical etc....or just general BE work with local companies? I would like to start my on consulting company. Just wondering if this could be possible in UAE? in Al Ain?
hmbaba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: privates in Al Ain Reply with quote

Hello,
You might find some part time work at the Higher Colleges, especially on their Readiness for Work Program - if it is still running. Also, there is an ELS School in Al Ain - that's a private language school. Try the local junior/secondary schools too. Try the branch of the University of Ajman in AA. You can advertise in the local supermarkets or newspapers. A lot of the private students tend to be female who can't, for whatever reason, go to classes, however. It's all probably best done thru contacts - maybe the university ESP Unit would be able to point you in the right direction.
Regards,
Heather Baba
saint_moi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: How much, realistically? Reply with quote

This is aimed at any teachers who are actually working in the UAE or who have had experience working there.

I'm in South Korea at the moment and I'm honestly not earning enough money and I'm seriously considering working in the UAE. From the ad.'s on this site I've read that for a young teacher like myself holding a 4yr college diploma in P.C. Engineering as well as TEFL/TESL certifications and plenty of teaching experience, both in my home country as well as here in South-East Asia, earning around $37,000 USD annually is very realistic.

Is this true? If I came over and taught there with what I have to bring to the table, could I earn around this much?

Furthermore, in regards to privates: teaching privates here in SK just about doubles your income. What are the extra private teaching conditions like? How much do you earn from these work opportunities? Is it any similar to what I'm doing here in SK?

Lastly, ball-park figures on expenses? How much do any of you spend monthly on housing and the rest?

I would like to make a financial step for just maybe a year or two then return home and I would Really appreciate any info. any of you could provide.

Thank you kindly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: