Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Morocco?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: British Council Morocco? Reply with quote

Hi All ... The British Council is advertising temporary (6-10 week)jobs in Morocco -- Rabat, Marrakech, and Casablanca. Is there information on the site about the British Council? I would like to know more about them before applying. Thanks.
Brooks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don`t usually employ Americans.
Did you happen to go to St. Michael`s or SIT?
medina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find anything on this site about the BC in Morocco, but what I've heard about them is that their EFL schools are professional and reputable and tend to focus on the upper end of the Moroccan market.
Brooks is right that they don't usually hire Americans, but they don't have any rule against it.
jessn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...I might try anyway; I'm actually an unreconstructed Canadian teaching ESL as an adjunct at St. Mike's. Who knows? I might slide under as a British subject. Wink
Brooks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, well as a Canadian it may be possible. I have heard that they want teachers with a British educational background.
Part-time teachers don`t have to be British, I think.

Work at the American Language Center is a possibility.
Interns from Saint Michael's have gone there to do their practicum. I myself was one.

I graduated from SMC in 1996.
thrifty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "rule" is for full time positions you have to be citizens of an EU member state but for part time positions it doesn't matter. Bear in mind that some countries have restrictions such as for Egypt you have to be British or Egyptian for full time positions.
guangho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A helpful, informative post from thrifty?
~rubs eyes...takes pulse...checks medication...etc~
jessn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for a British-oriented school, it probably makes sense, not from a legal standpoint, but from a pedagogical one, to have teachers with uniform spelling and similar (sort of) accents. After all, the students are being prepared for British tests, right?
An American teacher would have to make quite an effort spell in the consistently British style. Even a teacher who could handle "honour" and "centre" might have trouble with a subtlety like using "travelling" instead of the US-style "traveling".
There are also places where the syntax is slightly different, with forms like "I've got" and "Have you any...?" almost unused in the U.S.
thrifty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't do it for a pedagogical reason. When I worked for the BC they had temporary and part time teachers from all over. The BC are not in the business of caring about subtleties of spelling and grammar.
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Brutish Council Reply with quote

Thrifty - where and when were you unfortunate enough to work for the evil empire.
alaskanlute

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Morocco is not in the EU. Reply with quote

Given that it is a job from the Biritish Council you may need your papers in order. If you simply want to work in Morocco, its not difficult, does not require EU papers. If you want to work legally in morocco, however, it might take years to get your papers in order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Nonsense Reply with quote

It doesn't take years, just a few weeks.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Nonsense Reply with quote

Africaexpert wrote:
It doesn't take years, just a few weeks.

Not sure why africaexpert is on a thread about BC when he/she worked at a far superior institution raking in the equivalent of a whopping 50% of my woeful income.

Anyway, I was at the BC Morocco for a year and never got round to sorting out the work permit.
casaoui

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: work permit in Morocco Reply with quote

I taught in Casa for 10 months (1999/2000) and never got a work permit , mainly because every time I went to apply the foncs wanted another form or certificate. Just go to Ceuta, Melilla or Gib every 3 months and avoid the hassle/demands for baksheesh.
haku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrifty wrote:
The "rule" is for full time positions you have to be citizens of an EU member state but for part time positions it doesn't matter. Bear in mind that some countries have restrictions such as for Egypt you have to be British or Egyptian for full time positions.

Um, don't know that this is true exactly. I'm Australian, and I work for BC. We also have several Canadians working with us.

I believe it depends on the local restrictions (for example, you have to be British to work for the BC in Egypt, Thailand, and...to work with them in the EU you need an EU passport).

It's true that you are supposed to have a British educational background - but neither I nor the Canadians do. They require CELTA + 2 years TEFL experience

In terms of resources, I'd definitely recommend working for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: