Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Morocco?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that I am not in Morocco, and that all BC teaching centres are independently managed - so the experience at each centre is different.
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can the Canadians work full time?
haku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my slow reply - end of term, darn YL report cards..

Yes, the Canadians work full-time. Actually, we also have an American and a South African who are part-time and an American who works full-time. Don't know why they eluded me before.. There's also another Australian, full-time.

We all have first degrees, CELTA and 2+ (usually +++!) years teaching experience.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod,

I doubt very much you knew what I was making for a salary in Morocco, with a masters degree and a side gig, it was lucrative enough to provide a comfortable life and save, so really once again, Hod you don't know what you are talking about.

As for the papers, if you work at a legitimate outfit, they take care of it for you. Apparently that was not the case for you.
limebelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector_Lector hit the nail on the head

Post subject: Brutish Council
Thrifty - where and when were you unfortunate enough to work for the evil empire.

They may offer one of the best packages in EFL but do you really want to give up your soul to work for them??

And as for all the 'rules' about working for them - it depends where you go. At centres where they find it difficult to recruit they have local staff straight off CELTA, in popular places you have to be British and have DELTA.
So, if you have an hour and a half to spare, it may be worth filling in an application form. Just be sure to find out what a competency is before you do! Rolling Eyes [/quote]
casaoui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: BC Reply with quote

Could someone please explain to me why BC is so evil? Some people seem traumatized by the mere mention of the words "British Council".
haku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: British Council Reply with quote

I'm also intrigued. I mean, they aren't saints, but after 2 years with them I'm pretty sure I still have my soul. I've worked damn hard for them (but TEFL isn't a real job - ha ha), and I think that they do undervalue their staff in that their appreciation is mostly lip-service (if you get it), but for me being able to work with access to so many resources makes it worth it.

I've worked for plenty of other ungrateful, demanding employers - but they didn't get me resources just because I had a whim, nor did they give me full medical cover and 35 days annual leave in addition to public holidays. I don't want to spend my life working for BC, but they are a very good means to an end.

The only evil thing in my mind is that they call themselves a charity.
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an American, and have been offered gigs thru the BC.
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, I assume that it doesn`t matter where teachers are from, as long as they have a CELTA.

I guess it is all supply and demand. In Poland and Japan, Brits only or people with a British education background.
casaoui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: BC/ALC Reply with quote

Can non-Americans work at ALCs in Morocco?
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I believe they require English to be the native tongue. I've seen Brits, Aussies, Canadians, even Scottish working there.
laura1d

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once interviewed by them for a job.

I am English and the guy that interviewed me was Scottish if I remember rightly.

They knew I was English but still gave me the interview. When I asked about nationality issues I was told that as long as I was a native English speaker, it would be no problem.

So it is definitely possible to work with them if you are not American.

Laura
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africaexpert wrote:
Hod,

I doubt very much you knew what I was making for a salary in Morocco, with a masters degree and a side gig, it was lucrative enough to provide a comfortable life and save, so really once again, Hod you don't know what you are talking about.

As for the papers, if you work at a legitimate outfit, they take care of it for you. Apparently that was not the case for you.

Some people always gotta have the last word, haven't they? And I'm one.

I've no axes to grind against the BC, but then again I'm not going to defend them either. Just a few points, though.

If, with your masters and all, you still needed a side gig for your comfy life, is it fair to say your main job had a perhaps less than good salary? Also, I thought you liked Morocco? Why work so much and miss out on all the fun and quality times? Oh yes, and if Morocco is good, why aren't you there? Just curious.
medina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Question of nationality Reply with quote

This is in response to the earlier question about whether ALCs hire non-Americans, etc.

The situation in Morocco for English teachers in general is that it's getting harder and harder to get a work permit from the Ministry of Labor. There's a new step in the process where a newly created office has to decide whether the job being applied for can be filled by a Moroccan. So if you're not from an anglophone country, you're likely to get turned down, because they've got thousands of Moroccans who need jobs.
casaoui

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: the Hodster Reply with quote

Hi Hod,
I have read a few of your posts now and, although I agree with you about general grumpiness in Morocco during Ramadan, I really think you need to get over your sojourn in the land of the setting sun. Have you thought about trying therapy or meditation or even Class A drugs? I had a mixed experience while there, sometimes I loved it, other times I hated it but I still have good memories of the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: