Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bachelor Degree or Higher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheeba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid - What's going on with your spelling of 'there'

Are you a native speaker?

Why would I want to pay you so much if you can't even spell simple English?
cj750

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that if people would not respond to the low paying jobs the wage would natually increase. Supply and demand.

the idea of Supply and Demand in the ESL world is quite different than in manufacturing..as you have different levels of supply from the White blond haired applicants with the various degrees of qualification to the non white lower waged professional who has the proper credentials ....these markets can be altered by awareness of the customer(parents) and the ability to market services without gimmicks...
sheeba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CJ! I can see what you are saying to some extent about teaching back home. I'm (in the process) of bettering my qualifications and have a more optimistic outlook regarding work in the UK. I know it won't be easy but I'm not expecting to head back to London for 5 years plus from now - hopefully with an MA TESOL and some good varied experience. I think the overseas experience is crucial for teaching back home - especially the languages you pick up whilst abroad .
DistantRelative

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KidfromBrooklyn wrote:

Quote:
I think that if people would not respond to the low paying jobs the wage would natually increase. Supply and demand. The only way that this will happen is if foreigners who have been here and know the ropes educate them through a program of communication on sites such as this. There are plenty of web sites that deal with the ESL opportunities in China

Forget about it, it's not going to happen. Do you think you're the first individual who has broached the subject of wages in China? Like you're introducing us to some new revelation, full of hope and promise. The fact is just as there is with most any business there will always be the low-end, low paying jobs, and individuals willing to take them, and your spouting off here about it for the umpteenth friggin time isn't going to change it.

For many of us the 4000 has been utilized simply as an entry level wage into the ESL market. A poll done awhile back on wages indicated that a majority of posters here are making double that.

Quote:
make money with your teaching skills in this country

What you may be failing to realize is it's not your degree in Basket Weaving or whatever that is going to improve your living wage in China, but rather your ability to stay put, network, and market yourself (I'm sure others can add to the list). It's your business savy. It's what you do after you take that 4000 Rmb job that helped you get your foot in the door that will determine your long term future in China. I started at 4000 and in my 2 years here have continued to build on that. Last month I did over 10,000 (and that was with taking a full week off unpaid). The 2 months prior to that I was up over 12,000 a month. That's a 300% increase in less than 2 years. My only disappointment is in that it took me so long to figure it out. I foresee a time not so far down the road that I will be making 20,000+, and who knows beyond that.

Trying not to sound like an a*s, but am I willing to share how I do it with others here? Other than what I posted above h*ll no. Figure it out on your own. I don't want you tapping into my market.

The bottom line in my opinion is that in most cities, and under most circumstances, here in China the 4000 a month is sufficient to allow one a comfortable start (In my case I was able to save almost 50%). Where you progress beyond that is entirely up to you.

Zhu hao,

Shawn
vikdk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the idea of Supply and Demand in the ESL world is quite different than in manufacturing..as you have different levels of supply from the White blond haired applicants with the various degrees of qualification to the non white lower waged professional who has the proper credentials

it is infact more similar than you would think - when you have a commodity that sells you try to procure more of it - sometimes cutting quality corners to speed up that supply. So when the market in qualified white monkeys looks a lucrative business, but the supply is starting to dry up and threatens to get costly - then the wise Chinese entreprenuer taps into the unqualified white monkey wharehouses - after all these are pretty good fakes ( let the boss print off a pretty piece of paper he will call a bachelor degree - and then let him buy a few dinners for a few important people - and hey presto you are now China qualified) - after all they look the same if nothing else. If all else fails so a non-white monkey can also be a money spinner - since they almost sound the same - but because of the vast supply of the white unqualified variety, the non-white product doesn't generate half the interest - regardless of how qualified it is!!! Now the real trick in this business strategy is to try and charge the same for all of these products - while feeding those monkeys fewer and fewer peanuts. "Sorry poor foreign monkeys, but we are being nice to yous when we give you 4 peanuts because there are now soo many of ya out there, that we can now maybes find another monkey who'll accept 3 - and anyways those local monkeys can make do on just one". Yes you guessed it folks its just a zoo out here - but the sorry thing is - instead of being filled with the roars of hungry carnivores - it sometimes more resembles the kids animal petting area - no wonder those bosses are able to give us such a kicking Laughing
cj750

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey CJ! I can see what you are saying to some extent about teaching back home. I'm (in the process) of bettering my qualifications and have a more optimistic outlook regarding work in the UK. I know it won't be easy but I'm not expecting to head back to London for 5 years plus from now - hopefully with an MA TESOL and some good varied experience. I think the overseas experience is crucial for teaching back home - especially the languages you pick up whilst abroad .

good for you..the best thing I ever did was to get a licence to teach..it has paid off in dividends such as travel and income..but to tell the truth ..most institution I have come across..just are not impressed with overseas teaching..unless..you were hired through the university under an exchange program..but if trying to better yourself..in training..classroom hours can be used to obtain credit at many schools...

what ever the case..I would always wish anyone good luck when choosing a teaching career...
tofuman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all that's been said here, but KFB raises some good points in his opening blasts. The Chinese have not been raised in a cultural environment heavily influenced by Christian values such as "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Like it or not, Judaeo Christian values of fairness, honesty, service, permeate the Western business climate. Certainly there are exceptions, but the cutthroat, gouging practices that are common here are the exception in the West.

The Chinese take pleasure from hurting people in business, from ripping them off. And if they can't, when foreigners are involved, they will not do business with you rather than give you a fair price. They are extremely racist in this respect.

Of course not all Chinese are like this. But people with the ability to treat you unfairly often will, particularly if larger amounts are involved. The fruit seller that tells you her fruit is only 1RMB/jin rather than the 1.3 you suggested is certainly a pleasure to meet, but saving 3 jiao is irrelevant.

It's the business that wants 16,000 rather than the 2,000 that locals pay are the ones you have to watch for. And you might be surprised where you'll find it. With these kind of numbers, (and these are actual figures) it is easy to see why foreigners must be paid more than local people.

Money is not the only thing that you can loose here. Time is another thing, more valuable than money, since it can't be replaced. People here think nothing of wasting your time, from a few minutes to a few weeks, if they can. It is a combination of indifference and lack of awareness about Western values that contributes greatly to this. And more sinister, the person who gets some evil pleasure by making you wait just because he can, is someone you should be aware of.

The principal of a school that employed me saw the FAO waiting for me in an office and when the principal discovered that the FAO was waiting for me, he instructed the FAO to leave the office and return after I arrived. His point? Make the foreigner wait. The guy was 10 or fifteen minutes early for an appointment. I was on time. So they thought nothing of wasting my time, simply to make the point that I lacked the status to keep them waiting.

Another guy falsely got me involved in an exhibition, postponing my travel to the States. Turns out that the event was a hoax and never happened, delaying my return to the U.S. for nearly two weeks. It's difficult to quantify losses like this, but those two weeks lost were costly if not in money, then in time.
cj750

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like it or not, Judaeo Christian values of fairness, honesty, service, permeate the Western business climate. Certainly there are exceptions, but the cutthroat, gouging practices that are common here are the exception in the West.

I think in spite of the values taught..the cut throats are alive an well in the US...as even cooperate law states that nothing can be considered before the bottom line..and daisy chains for price gouging as well as price fixing is a thing of regularity in the US ..also the crimes are of such magnitude that when they hit..they destroy lives by wasting complete pension funds and life savings...even the movies proclaim 'greed is good" and most of our trouble on the streets is due to searchin for the "bling"....

but it is true that the Chinese will cheat you and will be ill prepared to actually do the work they have claimed would be no problem..and time..they are the best bandits at sweeping away the hours..in fact they will spend a Rolex of your time without batting a second hand...ever ask for a product only to have someone disappear and produce the item procured from another vendor with additional water (cost) added...the nice thing is that you can count on them to be this way..it is expected and because of the regularity of their deceit..they can be counted on to be the cheap, conniving cowards that they are...if anything they are consistent...
NathanRahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ I disagree with you in reference to you comparing chinese business people to America. The chinese do business, if not differently, then the are farmore extreme in their seeming need to rip you off.

Alive and well in the US, again with the USA, you do seem to dislike america, for they are always your counter view point in the negative whenever you disagree with something someone has to say about china in the negaitve. Haven't heard you once use the USA as a counter arguement in the positive. Biased are you, umm, yeah, very likely you are, kind of obvious.

As for americans being cut throat business people. Sure, but were talking about downright lying right to your face, cheating, stealing, and yes this happens, but these are more exceptions in america then the rule. Why, because there are a lot more laws protecting the consumer, as well as fellow business men, or women.

It's a study in extremes, and I think what some are trying to say is, the chinese are much more extreme in their dishonesty when it comes to business. To them it may not be dishonest, or a big deal, but to me it sure as heck is.

Oh, and I have lived in America all my life, and done business there, but it took coming to china to get me lied to, cheated, and taken advantage of. In just a few months I have dealt with more deciet, doing less business, then I ever did in america, doing more, and for many years no less.

Sorry CJ, but if your point is to say that American business is just as dishonest, corrupt, and wholly without principle to the extent that china business is, then your 100% wrong. Good bye.
cj750

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alive and well in the US, again with the USA, you do seem to dislike america, for they are always your counter view point in the negative whenever you disagree something someone has to say about china in the negaitve. Haven't heard you once use the USA as a counter arguement in the positive. Biased are you, umm, yeah, very likely you are, kind of obvious.

Not at all cuz..I don't dislike American..at least those states below the Mason Dixon line...but I do dislike Yankees..just kidding..
you know if you only go back a few months when they allowed political discussions..I was accused of being pro American and a USAer..or what ever..and man, Goose Steppen Wolf in his old Wilhelm regalia would have a hissy fit eveytime I justified US Army actions in the middle east..so no..not a favorite..I actually believe that there isn't much difference in the cultures...and I do feel that business folk in the US will steal your eye teeth..what I do recognize is that I expect the Chinese to be this way and they expect this of themselves....but in the US the facade of honesty is just a Potemkin village...
NathanRahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhaps it is and mayhaps it is not, though I think your thinking is a little too polarized, and that your looking at things from too much of an extremist point of view.

Pro american, maybe you were a few months ago. You seem to teeter back and forth between extremes, but find no solid middle ground, doesn't surprise me at all.

What does seem to remain a constant is your seeming ability to muddy the waters of any discussion, confuse the issue, and basically seem to make a point, while actually making no point whatsoever. You do succeed very well in disagreeing oftentimes, but beyond that, you really don't say much to prove any point at all. Muddy waters all the way it seems.

Later all.
DistantRelative

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you bother with the guy cj? He's been here a couple months and dispenses advice and commentary as if he's an old China hand.
Outside of the usual tourist traps my experience thus far has been quite the opposite. In many cases I find myself paying less than the locals do. My scooter is a prime example. I paid 2850 for the same product the locals have to pay 3250 for. I think my service is better than locals receive too. I had a problem with it a couple weeks ago and they actually came to my apartment and fixed it and didn't charge me a Jiao for parts or labor. Many of the shopkeepers in my neighborhood discount their goods and services to me. My baker always throws in extra for the same price, and the little restaurant across the street brings my takeout to me in dishes rather than the styrofoam tubs and plastic bags most others get (kind of a pain really because then I have to wash the d*amn things before I send em back ). My barber touches up the grey in my moustache whenever I go in for a haircut and doesn't charge me for it. Hell my local watering hole often sets me up with a fruit plate whether I want it or not. I could cite so many other acts of kindness I've received while here.
Do I know their are dishonest business people in China? Sure I do, just as sure as I know their absolutely are crooked and dishonest business peeps in any country including the good ole USA.
My advice to you Nathan: If your so dissatisfied with life and work in China (In reading the bulk of your posts that certainly seems to be the case) why don't you pack your friggin bags and get the hell out (and don't let the door hit you in the a*s)?

China's not for everyone!!

Zhu hao,

Shawn
vikdk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you bother with the guy cj? He's been here a couple months and dispenses advice and commentary as if he's an old China hand.

You yanks also have this expression - there's one born every minute Rolling Eyes
hey distant you want to buy a nice used car of me - she's old but a good runner Cool
NathanRahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone would read that meaning into things, have a different point of view, or one I don't like go the heck home, yadda yadda yadda, so much for civilized commentary, though I will remain civilized.

Yes Vikdk, there is a sucker born every minute, that is for sure.

And I'd honestly have to say that simply because someone gives someone a discount, a rate, a freebie, because they are a forienger, or like you, this has little to do with the business practices of a country as a whole. As for the emotional outburst and insults, thats just par for course here.

Lets remain objective and keep the subjective arguements, and the personal attacks where they belong, which is off of the forum, ok.

Thanks for the input all, and take care Smile
TravellingAround

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching in a low-paid job in China is definitely worth it depending on your goals. At least for a while.

For two years I worked at a uni for less than 5,000RMB - why? Well...put it this way. Apart from the usual apatment, visa etc...I had a working week that began on Monday morning and ended before Tuesday lunchtime. There is something to be said for having a 5-day weekend. It was easy enough on occasions to do other work and get over 10,000 if need be but I just enjoyed the excellent lifestyle.

After a while though I decided to move for the sake of ambition and a hint of career progression. If anyone wants a nice, chilled-out (at least hours-wise) I'd recommend a uni job in China. Look at it as funding your travels for a few years.

Some people don't want to leave that kind of existence but for me...no, long-term it wasn't worth it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: