Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where am I qualified to teach university ESL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sctm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Where am I qualified to teach university ESL? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I’ve been looking for a university job in Latin America, and I’m wondering where, if anywhere, I’d be able to find one.

My qualifications aren’t stellar. I’ve been working for two years in a state university in the Oaxaca mountains. I don’t have an MA, and my BA is in a field unrelated to TESOL.

I’m obviously familiar with the Oaxacan university system, but I would like to try my luck in another country, or at least another area in Mexico.

I haven’t found many opportunities outside of Oaxaca, however, and I’m wondering if anyone had any pointers. Or are my qualifications just not enough for the rest of Latin America? I worry that I might not be able to find a job without moving first and applying locally.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new-ish rules for university employment in Ecuador require teachers to have postgraduate qualifications. A bachelors degree. CELTA or equivalent & experience will still sometimes suffice, if you happen to be in the right place at the right time when a university needs someone, but it's far from guaranteed.
sctm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I might give Ecuador a shot and see what comes of it. Do I stand a chance if I apply from here, or do Ecuadorian universities only hire local applicants?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overseas hires are pretty rare, and without an MA I'd be very surprised if you found anything from overseas, but there's nothing to lose by sending your CV out.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why limit yourself to university? I have taught extensively in both universities and high school. My experience in Ecuador has been that high school is much more stable, with consistant salary, and more paid time off. Even though I am on contract to the current university I work for, I still have to shuffle to three campuses which are far flung from each other. At high school, I have had a lot of support, consistency, and am always paid on time. At the universities I have worked for, those three things have, at times been lacking. I make a bit more at the university, but probably eat that up in transportation costs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: