Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Crucial Moments at U of Q
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stickleback

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of any recent more crucial moments but 20 people left in July I heard plus at least one or maybe 2 did a runner and didn't go back. However, that's par for the course. It's just happened where I work now. Some people get fed up for find something better.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they still having crucial moments? Or is Big Brother more active? No news is good news so it is said. When do the contract renewals come up? This was a big big issue a few years ago. Let's hope they have learned from their mistakes and keep good staff instead of turfing. I am sore because I myself was turfed for no good reason. Is the salary scale any better? After I got my MA I considered applying but then decided against it. I figured it was better to try a new country and a place where people were valued. I think I've found it. The only complaints I ever hear where I am now are salary issues not administrative issues - and this is because of the rising cost of living not the work conditions.
lollaerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard, the crucial moments are still continuing. I sat next to a QU teacher on the plane who complained all the way to NY about the place. It made the Gulag look like the land of Oz! He said he'd never worked so hard or so much in his life for so little thanks or appreciation. I asked him if he was going back but he was evasive. He talked about the people who'd done runners in the last few years. I was wondering about him. Well nothing new in the Gulf, every place has its runners and absconders but they also have their stalwarts and stayers. On the other hand, what place doesn't have 'crucial moments'?
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More crucial moments yet to come as they are going to change the two year program into a one year program. This will mean a lot of redundant teachers and probably another mass exodus like what happened when I lived here a few years ago. I feel for these guys as this is what happened at the Gulag!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilberforce wrote:
More crucial moments yet to come as they are going to change the two year program into a one year program. This will mean a lot of redundant teachers and probably another mass exodus like what happened when I lived here a few years ago. I feel for these guys as this is what happened at the Gulag!

I will repeat what I put on the other posts on this. This is not yet "news" but rumor. There is discussion of changing to a one year program, but we all know how such talk goes. Only a handful of teachers have left lately - for whatever reason, and we all know that there is often early attrition on these large programs (over 100 teachers).

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Extremely Crucial Reply with quote

The foundation program is going to turn from a two year program into a one year program offering all four foundation courses in one year.

But since it is no longer compulsory, who are the students who will be taking these classses.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they going to do with all the surplus teachers? They shouldn't be advertising. Forget this place. It's on the way out.
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial moments began when they put a control-freak non-communicator in charge. When I first worked with this guy 22 or 23 years ago, he knew nothing and couldn't even speak Ennglish properly. He was obsessed with lists and tables and charts. Really weird stuff! I remember all the chain smoking and problem with anger management as a result of the solitary boozing. Has he quit any of these bad habits? I wonder. Nobody I know is working there anymore so no way to find out. I bet all the lackeys do the real work.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al-Ali? He's, easily, the biggest jerk in the Gulf area that I EVER had the displeasure of dealing with.

I am happy I didn't get the job!

It's like, he's an all-time LOSER!
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my ex-colleague was a "Yanqi" as they say in the magic kingdom. He quit QU, went off to the far east and returned a couple of years later. Then he quit again and turned up a third time. I heard the former head who let him come back was very upset with what he did to the staff she fought to keep. Sometimes you do a good turn to someone and they end up stabbing you in the back. I don't know the person you refer to. Way after my time. I only know that the guy I worked with had real personal problems, has he ever given a presentation or a workshop? Does he do research? Does he treat people fairly or base his judgment on personal bias. He was known for this. If you're not with him, you're against him in his world view. He has communication and tolerance issues. It's too bad he doesn't know how to respect people. I do remember anger-management issues. If he has changed, let me know. Seriously? I doubt it. I wonder if he will back his teachers or not. I doubt it.
yellofello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He freaked me at the interview I had a couple of years ago. Does he have Asperger's? Seems like it. I have a cousin with it, so I know the signs. It can be managed though - looks like a mild case.
stickleback

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man in question is a strange mixture of maladroitness and precision, insecurity and perception. Most of the strange things he does is because of his insecurity. He should never have been appointed in the first place but the Rand people wanted QU to put an American in charge and he was one of the few available at the time. So that's what happened. His new side-tick is just the same. He started out being very critical but has changed sides. The previous guy, Mr. Fix-it was too popular and had to be removed.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sock alert!! They're back... it helps back up your side, doesn't it. Laughing

Never seen anyone on this board before who was so obsessed about a job interview that he supposedly failed some years back.

VS
yellofello

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to me, you are out of line. I was disturbed by my QU interview but didn't even consider working there. I went for the interview because I was called in, OK I admit being freaked by the exothalmic person who kept talking about team players. He didn't seem 'normal'. The others seemed OK. Usually at interviews people ask about your teaching philosophy and experience like my HCT interview mentioned team playing in passing. They did not stress it. Thanks to your advice, I went to the UAE where I've been more or less content. The country is great despite the economic ups and downs which seem to be in check now. My reconsideration of Qatar was to work at CCQ not QU mainly for a change and for the money. Unfortunately, the political situation and tension there at the moment are very off-putting so I will definitely stay in the UAE.

This was my post in 2007. I don't get what you are on about.
Quote:
VS - You've set yourself up as the self-stylized Gulf Guru and you're doing a great job. KUDOS to you!!! Most of us readers appreciate your words of wisdom, insight, good advice and tips about jobs and issues in the Gulf. You certainly helped me when I was trying to decide between two offers. Maybe I made the wrong choice but that was my mistake, not yours.
Your great input aside, I have a bone to pick - sometimes I just find you just a little too sycophantic. Maybe you could tone it down a little - be less sanctimonious when it comes to commenting on some of the posters' issues and grievances. Burnout's story is not unusual. We all know that lots of people get the shove because they rub their management the wrong way. They don't have to do anything -that's just the way it is - a sorry fact of life - an occupational hazard. You know that better than most people - which is why your comments are so insightful. My big beef is why put down people for relating their (mainly bad) experiences? Why claim people have alter egos? Could it be that you're barking up the wrong tree? Some HCT people say the same about you, that your main fix is surfing Dave's and giving your two cents worth under a variety of alter egos yourself. Who cares? You've got a lot to say - so do what you have to do. Most of your two cents worth are pretty worthwhile but some of the things you say are just downright uncalled for. Following John Stossel's advice could be a good idea. VS You really are the best source of Gulf information and advice but maybe you could leave some of these fellows alone - maybe it does them some good to let it all hang out. Keep on doling out the good information but leave the wisecracks out.

PS John Stossel is related to me by marriage. I find him a pretty moderate and intelligent person - like you usually are. Keep posting your words of wisdom.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellofello wrote:
If you are referring to me, you are out of line. I was disturbed by my QU interview but didn't even consider working there.

Out of line? As I said... since 2007 you've been posting this over and over... 5 years now. To me that seems obsessive for a mere interview. It seems like a vendetta against someone who did nothing to you except NOT offer you a job. Quite a few friends of mine interviewed with the same person and had a quite different impression.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: