Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Crucial Moments at U of Q
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 6 & 7 Reply with quote

Similar sentiments being expressed by people who have recently resigned. Some are still thinking about it. There are still teething problems with the new program but I presume they will be ironed out. I don't know about any vitriol -never saw any but everybody had a different experience. I think the university had no choice but to respond to student demands but maybe they could have gone about it in a different way. Anyway, what's done is done.

Quote:
6 In general, I agree, but employer confidence has taken a HUGE hit of late,
due to restructuring and the new Oracle software teething problems

7 Ha! Never worked anywhere where I've felt so trod upon. Tired of being the target of vitriol by both Qatari society and other QU colleges both. Someone
needs to sit down and explain to Qataris that their school system sucks and that until they decide to improve it (properly, without a search for 2 year quick fixes), remedial education such as that provided by the FP will remain what we do, why it is importannt, and how we're all on the same team. I'd
think that would be the President's job, but I'd be wrong, wouldn't I? I'm very tired on the snide comments from other QU members. I regret taking work at QU and can't wait to leave.

Last edited by stonemason on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 13 Reply with quote

New teachers have a higher basic salary than old ones. Will they fix this or not? This teacher needs to use spell-check.

Quote:
13 We only hope to be paid equally as our pears in other colleges as thier is a clear difference

Last edited by stonemason on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 14 Reply with quote

Quote:
14 Many staff are leaving because of the unprofessional and unpredictable way we have been treated during the last 2 semesters, starting with the pay debacle (for non -Qataris) in September to the way our program is being torn apart for political reasons. The fall and spring semesters have been one bad surprise after another. In 2011 the department was considered great because we had attained accreditation after much effort by many and now
there are calls for its total abolishment. Teachers, managers, and students
are confused and insecure about their futures at QU. There seems to be no transparency in future plans and appointments and the decision makers are not the managers in our department, so who are they? The way our
department has been handled by the higher ups/decision makers in the
university should be used as a classic business model of how to antagonize, alienate and create distrust within your staff. For staff that are staying, many say they will be updating their resumes and be ready to look for jobs elsewhere because the future seems so uncertain here and we do not seem to be valued for the work we do. I am not one of these people who plan to leave soon but I feel sad for my colleagues that are going because of the crisis that is happening in our department and the university as a whole. I understand change can be positive and good but to create change overnight with all the negative effects this entails is not a professional way to run an institution. It is reacting in a very short-sighted way. I hope to see better days for QU for the students' sakes because this is affecting them for certain, but this does not seem to be a consideration for the QU

People still feel alienated and unappreciated. Their efforts are not valued and are criticized instead.
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Respect Reply with quote

I would say the new management needs to respect teachers more and not always flaunt rules that they change arbitrarily at them.

Last edited by stonemason on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 9 Reply with quote

Quote:
Please respond to the statement below.

9 A year ago I would have told anyone to apply and work at the Foudation
Program. I now advise anyone who asks to avoid any sort of involvement
with the Qatari educational sector. If they wish to work in the region I advise Abu Dhabi, but honestly, I advise them to look at areas with a culture of education, such as East Asia. With reference to question 2 below, contractually we in the FP are allowed ONE conference during our entire employment with QU. ONE! Why we are constantly asked about
conferences and what not, when we have to self-fund shows a disconnect
between the reality of the FP and the way the strategic plan is attempting to assess. Two, it is too embarrassing to be associated with QU to go on
conferences. Nationally and regionally, when we introduce as being from
QU the response is some form of "Oh, poor you." or "How do you put up withit?". I don't want my name associated with QU or Qatari education at themoment. Three, too much time in the Gulf region is a career limiting move.After more than one or two contracts here it really damages your
employability elsewhere in the world, standards and rigor are seen as being too low, grade inflation too rampant and meritocracy lacking.

There is something wrong with the system: the same people get regulalarly sponsored for conferences and get to take time off. East Asia is an upcoming place but doesn't pay like the UAE.
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 20 Reply with quote

Quote:

I WAS satisfied; I am no longer. A year ago I would have happily
recommended this place to anyone looking for work, and morale was very
very high. I have never worked anywhere where morale has fallen so far, so fast. I have little faith in the professional competencies of the outside
consultants, nor in the manner in which the program is being restructured. I would have preferred that those involved at that level have a demonstrated history of success in programs similar to the FPDE. Their resumes do not impress, and they have their work cut out for them to earn our confidence. Many who have the luxury of leaving are leaving. Next year this time there will be an even bigger exodus as those with kids in school need time to make their preparations. I have seen little evidence (no exit surveys for example) that the university or the program find staff retention to be a high priority.

This is a shame, as the program currently has a very good staff. I have been doing this job for more than twenty years in half a dozen countries, and while the old program wasn't perfect I would have said that it was the best place to work at that I have ever experienced. I have doubts whether that will hold true for the future. I used to tell people that it was an absolutely first rate program at a third tier university, I expect it to become a third tier program in a third tier university. I hope that I am wrong. Highly experienced and very very competent people are stepping back from any positions of responsibility and want little to do with the new direction of the program, that should raise major red flags. I worry about the future, I really expect a staffing shortage in the autumn as people express their lack of confidence in the future by voting with their feet. In short, I see little being done to retain faculty and staff.

I agree there is a very good staff although some of the newbies lack experience, but it is too true that many of the best people have already left or are leaving. You were right - there was a major shortage in September and apparently they have had to hire people mid-year.
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Survey - commentary 19 Reply with quote

Quote:
19 we didn't get a 60% pay rise. some of us did not get the bonus. Some of us
got fired/not renewed for no good/valid reasons - and now look the people
that fired us, and moving on. The department is short of staff - ironic. Maybe
respect the teachers more. the admin did not retain high quality staff, and
that is why some of us are leaving.

Salary discrepancies continue - that pay rise was a mistake, too good to be true. But it is true, they are losing some of the high quality staff. Yes, the shortage continues which means their firing practices were stupid - just for the sake of going to recruitment fairs they fired people?

Last edited by stonemason on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 18 Reply with quote

Quote:
18 I don't know which Foundation program you are referring to. Also the previous foundation program was internationally accredited so was in no
need of change. So why change it? Unnecessary and dubious changes do
not 'retain high quality staff.'

Well they have to go through the whole process again.
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Survey commentary 17 Reply with quote

Quote:
17 Unwarranted interference from the QU Academic Board to nominate
unsuitable candidates to redesign a course that was actually making a
difference shows that there a frightening lack of knowledge about
education at QU. No transparency, secretive meetings and knee-jerk policymaking
decisions to please disgruntled, unmotivated students
seem to bethe norm. Clueless about managing change. Bottom line is that they don't
care about Foundation faculty professionalism.

No transparency - still the name of the game.
stonemason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place needs to change its attitude towards teachers - if they want to retain good teachers they need to respect them, be inclusive, give everyone the same basic salary and not overwork them. Apparently teachers have been inundated with work and many are marking 3 or 4 hours a day.
They need to cut down this PD stuff which is a waste of time during the semester when people have so much to do, especially those who teach the new 9 week foundation courses. These guys have no time to do anything - the only good thing is they get an extra month's salary for doing 36 weeks. It really should be one and a half month's salary as they do an extra 6 weeks but I guess 1 month is better than nothing. Hang on in there. If you want to pack it in, there are other jobs out there like the place where I work which gives you NY off!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious as to what "survey" you are quoting as if it had been posted here before... which it hasn't.

I assume that this is some survey that QU gave to their teachers. If you are supposedly no longer there, where did you get these answers and did you have the permission of the writer to post them on a public board where their employer will/can find it?

VS
eha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH GOD. Plus ca change... things were bad in my time.... but back then, one could believe in the concept of progress, even if one couldn't hack hangin around for it to happen. Seems we gotta re-think 'progress', eh?
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This survey was conducted on SurveyMonkey last spring according to my QU buddy who left last summer. He said all teachers had access to it both outgoing and staying as it was posted online for everybody to view. Not only that, a lot of people have emailed it to friends so it�s out there and accessible to all. The problems continue with a very inflexible new director who allegedly has no people skills, just like the last one. He quotes the book but has no understanding of people�s problems or situations. Why did they replace the last one with what is being called a malfunctioning clone? You�d think they would appoint someone who knows how to run a department properly, not play lord and master with a book in hand. Morale is at an all time low � the name of the game is ASSESSMENT but not only for the students � teachers are constantly being monitored and assessed too. Very very very stressful!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that the new management has no management experience and no EFL Foundations experience of any kind either.

Now... what could do wrong with that? Rolling Eyes

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such is the Lunacy of those who think "Management" is a science. You can go from managing a bakery to managing a bus garage to managing a school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: