Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BA Philosophy, White American Muslim Revert, Oman or Egypt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdulrahman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: BA Philosophy, White American Muslim Revert, Oman or Egypt? Reply with quote

Assallam Alaikum Everybody!

As the title says I am a white muslim revert with a BA in Philosophy from Upstate New York, and I am interested in teaching english in either Oman or Egypt. I have no teaching experience so far, not even the TEFL certificate as of yet, but I do plan on paying for the course if my future prospects look copacetic. From perusing the ME boards it seems that these two countries would be my best bet with my limited credentials. Muslim and non-muslim friends have given me mixed opinions on the matter of teaching abroad as it would be outside my field, but a great life expanding experience. I am currently in a dead end relationship, looking to get out, and in debt which is a big negative, and unislamic as well. I am working as a lab tech, planning to go into Pharmacy school after finishing what will take two years of prereqs, but feel like I might be better off teaching abroad for 5 years or so, saving up some money, extricating myself from the draining relationship, and strengthening my religion.

So, what do you guys think? After the recent Israeli-Lebanon war, is a dearth of minimally qualified English language teachers in these two countries?

I could clear up a lot of negatives in my life by teaching abroad in the ME for a while, albeit push back my final Pharmacy objective a number of years, but life is more about the path, not the goal sometimes. I should add, also, that I was planning on bringing tons of books along with me to bone up on my Biology and Chemistry before going back to the US, and that drinking and the night scene really isn't for me as I am beyond that point in life.

Thanks,
Abdul Rahman
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I address this post on the ME board. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: