Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelling Latin America
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dduck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Travelling Latin America Reply with quote

I read in one of the journal's that the only reason Americans teach English in Latin America is to learn Spanish and meet women. If they claimed any other reason they'd be lying Smile

Anyway, can anyone recommend: good places to go to learn Spanish; good methods of learning; and pitfalls of learning the language whilst teaching.

Saludos,
Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: NOT EXACTLY TRUE Reply with quote

I`ve been here for over four years and my Spanish is still terrible. And that`s because I speak English all the time. In the RIGHT situation, there is $$$ to be made (much better than Europe). As for the women you`re probably correct- - - they are indeed "fantastico."
Still, I`d rather be in Europe.
dduck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NOT EXACTLY TRUE Reply with quote

pirateinpanama wrote:
In the RIGHT situation, there is $$$ to be made (much better than Europe)

What sort of right situation is that, if you don't mind me asking Cool

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first landed in Chile in '97 I had no Spanish. In reality, I probably would have starved in a Taco Bell. That minimal. I had studied German, and oddly enough, was able to use that quite a bit.
Chile is supposedly the worst place to learn Spanish. People speak very quickly and leave out syllables. One friend described their pronounciation as "mush mouth." I've read Ecuador is the best, because of pronounciation and the price of classes. I knew some teachers who had landed in cheaper countries (Venezuela, for example) to pick up the language before heading to the more expensive southern cone.
The other poster mentioned always speaking English as a hinderance. I agree, but also the fact that is you have money for Spanish classes, it means you're working a lot and don't have time. If you have time, no work and no money. Classes in Chile and Argentina (this was pre-downward spiral with seeming end) could be expensive.
In the end, I picked up the language with a horizontal dictionary: A girlfriend who didn't speak English.
And now I need to learn Korean Wink .
Pues, suerte,
Kimchikowboy
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: South America Reply with quote

Interesting post.. actually I taught in South Korea for a year (96-97).. and ended up in South America for the next year (97-9Cool.. and I'd say my main motivation was to study and learn a language I knew I might have a chance to learn!! Plus speaking/using a language is alot of fun..

But little did I know the women were going to be SO much fun in South America!! But to be honest.. Korean and Asian women are pretty hot too.. so I don't think South America is only about hot women.. I think Asia is more about that.. but in South America.. they are alot more fun to interact and meet and flirt with..

The best in South America.. is the Brazilians!!! SHEESH!! what a country!! I originally started in Santiago Chile.. and the Chiliean women were kind of okay.. but the few times I saw an Asian woman in Chile.. I really wanted to get back to Korea! But then I got to Brazil.. and I forgot all about Asia..

Anyhow, since that year in South America though.. I keep finding myself again and again in Asia.. its all good..
SWF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: latin men Reply with quote

It must be tough to keep a latin woman though cuz latin men have so much more to offer in all areas than other men.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: interesting perspective Reply with quote

Interesting thought from SWF that it must be hard to keep a Latin woman because a Latin man is so much better than us white dudes..

Actually, when I lived in South America.. I don't remember anything like that. Latin women in Latin America were generally extremely interested in being with a white guy. Kind of like a white american woman's fascination to be with a black dude.. kind of same thing.. latin women in latin america were really fascinated to be with a blue-eyed blond american man of their dreams.. at least that was my experiences..
Paul G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago, as I was walking home from a Rio night club in the wee hours of the morning, a beautiful young Brazillian girl walked up to me and said she would like to spend the night together. Being a strong believer in the free enterprise system and a supporter of the independent businessperson, I asked her how much it would cost me.

She replied, "Oh no, I am not a prostitute. I just want to make love with an American."

Well, at that point I considered it my patriotic duty to oblige the young lady, so off we went. (Of course, if she had said that wanted to make love with a Brit I would have started humming "God Save the Queen", but that's beside the point.)

This was not an isolated incident. During my three weeks in Rio I was called upon several times to be an "Ambassador of Goodwill".

I guess SWF is entitled to her opinion. It's funny, though. The thought of "keeping" any of those girls never occurred to me. ....that would have been so very counter-productive.
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tiger Beer,
I was in Santiago in '97-'98. Did you work there? Where?
Kimchikowboy
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: i passed through Santiago Reply with quote

Actually my intention was to live and work in Santiago.. I hung around for about two weeks in the capital.. but couldn't find any work.. ultimately I went to Sao Paulo Brazil.. the Chilean guy who worked the desk of the hostel I was staying in kept raving on and on about Brazil! Then an american guy who turned into a friend of mine was coming from Linguatec in Sao Paulo with the intention to work at Linguatec in Santiago.. but he just wasn't getting any work either.. so I went to Sao Paulo, got a job at his old school and stayed briefly with his ex-roommates.. worked out well.. then later that guy came back as well.. not enough work for either of us in Santiago at that time..

where were you? and where'd u work? i really liked Santiago though.. but I also really fell in love with Brazil and wouldn't regret how things turned out at all..
Brenda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the general reason people go to work in latin america is to learn Spanish and meet women. Sheesh, I'm not surprised, but I thought the clich� was to escape the cold climate of the north! Of course, my personal reasons to head down to Mexico were for the language and the culture. Now that I'm hooked on both, I find myself wanted to desperately return for the friends and lifestyle as well as the job opportunities.

As for picking up women, I can't say that I've been able to do the same on the flip side of the coin. I may have WANTED to go after my fair sahre of Mexican men, but as a woman I had to keep my reputation clean. I guess it's a lot more advantageous to be a man in this aspect!
dduck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, quite enlightening really. Smile

Just for the record, I've decided to start my travels in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala - I like a challenge!. I might try volunteering my services for a while. Failing that I'm heading north into Mexico, if anyone wants to meet up for unos cervezas, just let me know Very Happy

Iain
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: i passed through Santiago Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
where were you? and where'd u work? i really liked Santiago though.. but I also really fell in love with Brazil and wouldn't regret how things turned out at all..

Hey Tiger,
Sorry for the delay. I worked at a place in the downtown (behind Cerro Santa Lucia) called Let's Do English. Also known as LECTA. Lesson #1 in the English teaching racket: Beware working for a company that won't tell you its real name.
But it was educational.
Kimchikowboy
Gary B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
Yea, I definetely agree Latinas are hot. They are not like North American women or some European women becuase they still want to look like women, act like women, and love their man. Unlike North American women who want to act and look like men. American women always want to compete with their men instead of having a good solid relationship. This is a generalization of course which is faulty logic, but Latinas are great! Latinas are proud of their femmininity and not afraid to flaunt it. I taught EFL there for 5 years, met my wife who is Latina and couldn't ask for anything better! My advice to single guys is to hang out in Latin America if women is what you're after, but treat them well and they'll treat you well.
Chow for Now,
Love Latinas Gary B In Motown.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: For dduck Reply with quote

Quote:
Just for the record, I've decided to start my travels in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala - I like a challenge!. I might try volunteering my services for a while. Failing that I'm heading north into Mexico, if anyone wants to meet up for unos cervezas, just let me know.
- dduck

Guatemala is a beautiful country with some beautiful people. However, the political instability and corruption scare the hell out of me. At least they did a little over 7 years ago when I spent some time there. When I left the USA, I'd narrowed my options/preferences down to Guatemala and the Yucatan peninsula.

If you get to Merida, Yucatan, in your travels, feel free to get in touch, and we'll meet up for a couple of cold ones.

Best wishes. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: