Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bachelor Degree or Higher
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidfromBrooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Bachelor Degree or Higher Reply with quote

I must lawd at the China job offers posted on the various ESL sites.

3500-5000 RMB per month. Degree required.

Any western student who is worth is salt and has earned and (paid for) his degree, who works for wages such as these has got to be some dumb bunny. In my humble opinion it is an insult of epic perportions to think that an individual educated in a western university would come to a chinese educational facility and do his best to transfer the knowledge of a language for such a pittance.

Get real China We can help you, but Nuttin for Nuttin.
mike w

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So don't come to China. No problem.

PS - maybe the use of a dictionary would improve your own English skills.
Crippler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people have reasons other than "money" to come here. Many young grads like the idea of travelling to see new parts of the world and experience other cultures. Not so bad for a new grad to work and experience this culture for a year or so.
Steppenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bachelor Degree or Higher Reply with quote

KidfromBrooklyn wrote:
I must lawd at the China job offers posted on the various ESL sites.

3500-5000 RMB per month. Degree required.

Any western student who is worth is salt and has earned and (paid for) his degree, who works for wages such as these has got to be some dumb bunny. In my humble opinion it is an insult of epic perportions to think that an individual educated in a western university would come to a chinese educational facility and do his best to transfer the knowledge of a language for such a pittance.

Get real China We can help you, but Nuttin for Nuttin.

You got the right name - kid. And as a kid you are entitled to your immature and selfish thoughts but your judgement should be left where it is spawned: hidden!

A little experience goes a long way in understanding why westerners must accept lower wages in China (or Chile for that matter) no matter whether your educational level affords you the illusion of being a sought-after luxury commodity.
You might consider comparing your salary level to that of your local colleagues who most probably has as much if not more, education, and most likely, a more education-specific one at that.

In what way do you think you "can help" this country? By being so supercilious and self-centred? It would be fairer to say you are looking upon a developing nation to "help you".
KidfromBrooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: China far from DEVELOPING Reply with quote

China is far from Developing status. This is the argument that holds no water these days. Man in space? plans for the moon? end of story. Every country has poor regions. The powers that be say developing inorder to sway world opinon to keep them from behaving responsibly. If you want to suck it up that's your problem.

Those that say do not come to China? WTF man? who are you? I have EARNED the right to say now what I wish for I have been here over ten years own a s-it load of property and my wife is a Chinese, and believe me, not a boot licking subserviant slug but a cunning and clever business bit-ch that can out wit the best of ya'all.

Money is the reason people persue degrees in the first place. The need to move forward and better oneself, physically, spiritually and Financially. Those who buy into the BS of coming to China to drink tea and learn culture is fine if your are touring around. If you come here to work as a graduated professional and foreign expert and take a job for 4000 RMB you have been had.

Chinese businessmen are among the best in the world. They were not brought up with Chrisitian values instilled in there minds since before they could walk. They will get you if they can, like shove the umbrella where the sun woun't shine and open it if you let them, and if some foreigner like steppenwolf believes there hogwash then they win.

Be yourselves teachers and get what you have rightfully earned and deserve. PM me if you have a problem with what I say.

People need to know the TRUTH ABOUT CHINA ESL TEACHING!!!!!

Not to misunderstand. Do your job, enjoy all that China has to offer, but don't be taken for a fool while doing it.
Shan-Shan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might consider comparing your salary level to that of your local colleagues who most probably has as much if not more, education, and most likely, a more education-specific one at that.

A BA issued by a Chinese university is not nearly on par as that by a Western institution. Canadian universities do not have multiple choice final exams in literature classes, nor do they willingly accept plagarized essays.

I've watched Chinese ESL teachers, with BAs and MAs in English, and they do not understand anything about teaching methodology; in fact, many are likely similar to FTs who arrive without any ESL training whatsoever.

Having "a degree" should not be required for teaching in China. Having a degree in something relevent to ESL teaching, and more importantly being in possession of substantial training, should be mandatory for an Englisn language teaching position. A chemistry degree is needed to teach chemistry at university. Why should ESL not demand something similar?

That said, there are too many opportunities to enforce this, and schools willing to accept teachers who do not know how to teach. At least having a BA in "anything" might raise the chance of the teacher themself being able to think.
mike w

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have EARNED the right to say now what I wish for I have been here over ten years own a s-it load of property and my wife is a Chinese,

So! That gives you no more rights than anybody else. Your attitude and uninformed comments prove that in your time here you have learned squat!

I've been here longer, and also have a Chinese wife - so what? That doesn't entitle you to any special consideration, or make you any more of an authority on the subject than anybody else.

I'm not a teacher, don't work for any school, and don't earn RMB4,000 a month. But I wouldn't come on here and shout down the many people who do - AND ARE QUITE HAPPY WITH IT.

Quote:
boot licking subserviant slug

And just who the F*** do you think you are implying that my wife, and others wives are this?

Sorry my friend - you're an a**h**e.
KidfromBrooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: TRUTH IS TRUTH Reply with quote

The people who come here to work must know the TRUTH.

The truth is that they at 4000RMB per month ARE BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF!!!

Do you work for that? do you work at all? You are not a teacher so why do you even offer your 2 cents. Well anyway thanks.

Why would anyone be HAPPY WITH BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF?

The controversy generated may MAKE PEOPLE OPEN THERE EYES AND SEE THE TRUTH. About the SNAKES that are there prospective schools.

After being here so long tell me you don't know the Chinese you work with have attitudes. The part that newbies don't know or understand is that they do infact have very bad attitudes toward laowei and being nieve, also not understanding the language they ARE UNAWARE OF THE SITUATION!!!

OK OK OK I can retract "boot licking slug" how bout instead " lip touching the butts of other people."

Now lets work together and let new people know the truth so that they can make there own educated evaluation of the job they may or may not be considering. Don't KOW to the man behind the bamboo curtain.
sheeba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you work for that? do you work at all? You are not a teacher so why do you even offer your 2 cents. Well anyway thanks.

Kid - I'm not sure if my terminology is correct but I believe you are what they call a 'troll'.

If not you're a bit of an ignorant individual aren't you.

I'm gaining very good experience in a Chinese uni teaching. Ok so they're not all enthusiastic but a lot of them are . I'm earning less than 4000 - So I've been had then ? Yeah right mate . What I take from my experience will be worth a lot considering I am a teacher . Note the word 'experience'

I sincerely hope you are not a teacher and never will be. You'd be the type that the Chinese rightly criticise. You seem to think that we have some right to land ourselves in these positions just because we have a degree. And we deserve the cash too. What makes you think that people are in China for cash. Your greedy mind should stay put - perhaps in some type of business where you can play money games with your Chinese pals.

After 10 years I would have thought you'd be a little bit more clued up. Just shows that there are some that can stay here for years and never learn anything- perhaps you're just a bit thick though.
Bayden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So are you a teacher Kid?
KidfromBrooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes I am a teacher. In China since 1997. Have taught all age groups. I find that I enjoy 3rd and 4th grade students the most as they are the most willing to learn at the ages of about 9-12.

If wishing to alert the public to the craftyness of the Chinese laoban or business owner is trolling than so be it. Or is it the use of capitol letters that causes such a response. Or perhaps you are one ot those foreigners that work as liason between the Chinese and the foreign teachers. It is your job to discredit those who bring the truth into the light.

In addition if so many seem to support modern day indentured servantry than I guess too that is none of my bees wax. I should open a mill since so many sheep are there to fleece.

They are laughing all the way to the Bank.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my troll-o-meter burst into flames the first time i opened this thread today.

mike w said it best..... in his last line. others said it well, but not nearly as well as mike

KidfromBrooklyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Avitar Bayden!!!!
mike w

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am a qualified teacher, but my current job is not teaching. I worked for RMB4000 a month, and no, I wasn't being taken advantage off. The majority of Chinese teachers earn considerably less, especially as they were working 50 - 60 hours a week and I was only working 20 maximum.

Yes, I am working now - and for considerably more than RMB4000.

I am not surprised that you meet many Chinese with "attitude" - you've got plenty to share around; probably enough for the whole of the Chinese population!

It would help. when posting on these forums if you knew what you were talking about. You quite obviously don't, and your ten years has taught you nothing except how to shout down people with your viewpoints born from ignorance and arrogance.

Quote:
OK OK OK I can retract "boot licking slug" how bout instead " lip touching the butts of other people."

Not good enough - that's still an insult to mine and many other Chinese wives. (Whom, of course, you again know nothing about).

The final statement of my last post still stands!
vikdk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike w - rumour has it that you've made a packet through the petrochemical industry- so how would you feel if those back-packers hit your industry - and you found the competition forced your wage down to that ol' 4,000 level again. Anways that ain't ever gonna happen - so carry on and enjoy your view from ontop of that fence Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: