Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching summer camp at 'English in York'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pamplona

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Teaching summer camp at 'English in York' Reply with quote

I've been offered a post with 'Teach English in York' for the summer. Although they phoned me in Poland for an interview, contacted my DoS for a reference, have emailed me all of the relevant details and have given me a start date, when I asked for a contract they told me that they didn't give contracts to summer staff.
Although they seem genuine the lack of a contract is obviously worrying. I wondered if anyone has taught at this school or knows of it and can tell me if they are a reputable company.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds dodgy to say the least - unprofessional at best, sinister at worst. I've never taught for them, but not giving a contract is extremely worrying. Any school I worked in gave short term contracts for the summer and I can't see that it would be legal for them to do otherwise.

Have you asked about who pays tax, national insurance etc?

You are, of course, under no obligation to work for them since you haven't signed a contract. If I were you I would keep looking for something else - preferably someone who will give a contract! If these people aren't prepared to commit to you, why should you commit to them?
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: York Reply with quote

I know the city well and stayed there with my brother-in-law in 2003/4.There are two language schools there of long standing,one in the centre and the other in Holgate Road near where I lived but both are quite up-market and wouldn't take anyone without a degree etc. I ended up teaching at a summer school for a few weeks run by MJA Language Services at Bootham School,which was fine and Celine,the Director who lives in Bristol was nice,as were all the other staff.If they have offered you a job then you will be o.k. provided you don't mind the usual crowd of mostly Italian teenagers etc!
There is another summer school firm,I think it's ISIS, that uses the famous Mount School and also Stafford House but theirs is at a boarding school about 10 miles from the city where there is little public transport etc.Sorry, but I've never worked for either of them so I can't tell you more!
Hope this helps

Martin.
Pamplona

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I have replied correctly, a bit of a novice to say the least!! Thanks for your help with this, I think that the other companies you are referring to are EAC and Stafford House (St Margarets school etc.) which have offered me jobs and seem really good but the good thing about this school is that it's in the city centre and the excursions are optional and you get paid extra for them also it's a language school rather that a 'summer camp' per se so I suppose that was why I was holding out.

However I will ask them about tax etc. and if they aren't very clear then I'll take your advice and choose another school which will give me a contract.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Which school is it? Reply with quote

Is it anything to do with a school in the Polish oil-refinery town of Plock?
About 4 or 5 years ago I had some contact with guy from York who ran a school there and he provisionally said there was a job there if I wanted one.Although he sounded very friendly-I think he was called Andy-I didn't take him up on it because the pay was pretty low and some Polish friends warned me that the town was crap,due to industry and pollution etc!They suggested I try Krakow or somewhere in the mountains if I wanted to live and work in their country for a while.I was also warned to avoid Warsaw as it is not only expensive and unfriendly but also boring-I confirmed this on a subsequent short visit!
I will also admit that I have been living in Cyprus for many years and am comparitively spoilt by northern standards-after working in Moscow for 6 months during the winter of 2005/6,where I did at least earn decent money for my endurance test,I am very wary of teaching jobs in overseas countries,especially places like eastern europe when I see so many of their nationals going to Britain in search of a better life etc!
Even though York is of course better,especially for a short stay,due to its history and attractions,I can still remember many grey and dreary days during the winter which I whiled away at the Central Library there.As my brother-in-law used to tell me(he was a manager in a large retail firm) he was confronted with yobs and vandals there quite frequently and there are 2 notorious housing estates in what is supposed to be one of Englands classier show towns!
Pamplona

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Bydgoszcz and it is a surprisingly great place to live and the IH school here is excellent. The wages we earn don't make it easy to save but we have a great life. york certainly has a reputation for being 'stag/hen night' central however I was there during my easter hols and it is truly a beautiful city. Where are you teaching in Cyprus north or south, sounds great!!
caramel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamplona wrote:
I'm in Bydgoszcz and it is a surprisingly great place to live and the IH school here is excellent. The wages we earn don't make it easy to save but we have a great life. york certainly has a reputation for being 'stag/hen night' central however I was there during my easter hols and it is truly a beautiful city. Where are you teaching in Cyprus north or south, sounds great!!

I whole heartedly agree with this statement about Bydgoszcz.... Wink
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Cyprus Reply with quote

Definitely South Cyprus as my wife is Greek Cypriot,although she originates from Famagusta, part of which has been a ghost town since 1974.
Unfortunately there is little regular EFL work here for foreigners and in the north the situation is even more dire!
IH is probably o.k. for younger people who want to work their way around and see different countries etc, but when I was in Moscow their franchise there called BKC had a very bad name for paying low wages and giving you long hours and poor accom. etc!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: