Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ILP still alive?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurusome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Is ILP still alive? Reply with quote

I haven't seen any jobs advertised at ILP for quite a while, and their website is dead.

Does anyone know what's going on there?
xsbir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: ILP still alive? Reply with quote

I have it from a reliable source that ILP is full of zombie teachers and students still using material older than most, if not all the students. So it's technically still alive!

For yet another sign of life, The Jakarta Post had an advert for corporate teachers for ILP on Jan. 12th and 15th, maybe longer.
Zorobabel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILP Pancoran is still going. Their site still works too, but their email addresses don't.
Gurusome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying www.ilpworld.com with no luck.

Is there another address, specifically for Pancoran?

The Jakarta Post also seems to have sporadic availability problems, and I'm wondering if it's related to the earthquake that screwed the phone lines a few weeks ago.
beefer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does ilp pay "well" or do they fall under the same pay umbrella as ef, for example....... i ask because i have heard two conflicting stories from people i know. i'm assuming that they do pay more as i have noticed more people move from ef to ilp as opposed to moves in the opposite direction.

basically, i am curious about what the average salary would be for an ilp teacher?
Zorobabel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurusome: It's working for me. Maybe there is an issue with your ISP.

beefer: I'm not sure about that. I always assumed because of their course prices and office appearance that they paid less, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of stuff has been posted before. if its gone then ask the moderators why. basically it was a big franchise, but was screwed up but no talent people from canada and australia. the chinese owners seemed to think that one woman in particular from canada was a god-send, because she claimed to have chinese heritage and apparently had some teaching experience. also no talent woman who had big thingies and dolphin teeth impressed the owners with her lung capacity. teachers with ideals and ability came and went. self interest of the foreign girls overruled professionalism or direction. (while i was there).
THE PAY? it was about 11 juta per month in corporate and 9 in the kids dept. Corporate is a joke (or was). companies with government training benefits,spending money that will be refunded if not spent. carpark attendants and upper management employees attending the same class, regardless of their english levels. attandances usually 50% to zero. Training contracts won by management by offering financial incentives to the training managers.

The conditions? unless things have changed, insults and ineptitude from the ladies in charge is to be expected if you are male. it was weird indeed.
in the kids dept, i understand they have a very high turnover of indo and foreign teachers. in all departments, questioning of procedures and material was considered a "gelding" offence.

if you are a good puppy it can be a good deal.
keep your mouth shut and take it like a man / he-bitch.
basiltherat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
financial incentives

Do you mean 'backhanders' ?? My God, wat is Indonesia coming to ?
basil Very Happy
Gurusome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, guys.

Beefer... I don't know what's wrong, but I still can't access the site. Are you in Indonesia now or somewhere else?

Chester... I did read the old warnings about ILP corporate, and I have met the behemoth that seems to be the problem for guys. It was hard not to laugh, because she's almost a caricature... like that sort of person would appear on The Simpsons, or (more likely, and probably more accurately) South Park (maybe I'm just thinking of the bus driver).

I also met a couple of the teachers who have both worked there for some time, and they were nice guys and didn't seem to be having too many problems.

I think I could handle the internal politics and lack of resources ok. I prefer teaching adults to teaching children. The longer I taught at EF, the less I followed their books, having found better ways to teach the grammar points (largely thanks to the other teachers and the internet). In fact, I found the books were really only useful to get them to talk to each other as they discussed the answers to the exercises, and it gave me a few minutes rest.

If my old school paid 11 million, I'd still be there. I wouldn't have had to come home to save money for another stint. But it was a pretty good place to work. And on the other hand, does South Jakarta have any cheap places to drink? Because when I was a tourist, I seem to recall spending about 2 million in one night for four people in some club there. So maybe I'd just end up spending the extra income on inflated beer prices, or taxis to cheaper places.

Just exploring options at the moment, and regretting that I don't have a degree in engineering, or agriculture, or the X-files, or any of the hundreds of other degrees that are completely irrelevant to teaching English, yet miraculously enable you to get a good teaching job.

Anyway, thanks everyone.
Rowlf the Dog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: I'm Ralph the Dog, and I've worked for ILP Reply with quote

I worked for corporate for a little over a year. There were plenty of office hours and not many teaching hours-- which gave me plenty of time to play the piano and chase my tail. My only complaint would be there aren't enough trees and there are too many cats. Cats make me angry!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and what I learned is an old dog has plenty of troubles teaching new tricks too. Especially in corporate. The best part was the ILP drivers always let me stick my head out the window as they drove me places on the outskirts of Jakarta.

Ralph the Dog
Chester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said.
xsbir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: ILP Info Reply with quote

Gurusome wrote:
I've been trying www.ilpworld.com with no luck.

Is there another address, specifically for Pancoran?

The Jakarta Post also seems to have sporadic availability problems, and I'm wondering if it's related to the earthquake that screwed the phone lines a few weeks ago.

You seem sincere, so here you go. This ad is the same as the one last week, and appeared in Friday, Jan. 19 Jakarta Post:

FT/PT Business English NS Teachers req at ILP corp training, exp & cert, comp sal, bonus & trvl allowance. CV [email protected] att Kusniati ph 0217985210

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ilpworld.com

if you want a corporate english teaching job at ILP its pretty cruisy, just nod and smile and , as robocop said, "stay out of trouble".
if the warnet dont work, you could call them up and speak to B. Joan,
the "thesbian" francise coordinator who is the ultimate stereotype. i think we called her K.D.! but KD Lang is cool as... "save mee.. save me from ILPeeee" If she wasnt a thesbian i would shagg her, the singer that is, not the ILP gal.

ILP is a load of poop as far as admin goes. but we all make the mistake of applying rational business practices to indonesia. it is like whiping the bum before hearing the splash in the bowl. absolutely no point.
go to ILP, bend over and take it like a man. he beeatches please apply.
did you see Duce Biggalo?

and the australian thing there! oH watch out for her. damaged goods. power tripper... power tripper , yea! an extended holiday in bali, romance with a musician who excelled at the "TV remote control" as opposed to a musical instrument and. two kids later and Indonesain citisanship - man she has MADE it. silicon thingies and teeth that a dolphin must have donated postumously (Spelling?). geez she gave the guys hell while i was there.

watch out for her if you work there.

but the hours and schedule are easy. students are normal indonesians - good people, lovely folk.

thats indonesia, huh? its the real indonesian people that I love about the place.
That guy Yossman at ILP was a legend. Man he bent over and took it from front, back and from thesbians from the next universe.

Butt, thats what it takes to suckseed at ILP.
Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's been 5 minutes.

10 minutes.

how long till this post is deleted?
xsbir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: ILP Reply with quote

Chester: The Canuck squaw has long gone, and things have settled down a lot. No worries at ILP.

PS Did you and happy_me attend the same school to learn to spell?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: