Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Eng. schools in Cairo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoth1972

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakkara would come in under $1000, I believe. I've seen relatively recent salary info for them in another Egyptian thread, but I recall the salaries 5 years ago being around 3000-3500 LE. At that time, that was $1000, give or take, but the exchange rate varies (was as high as 7.5 LE to the dollar when I lived there). Most schools are prevented from charging foreign currency and therefore don't pay in foreign currency (Sakkara is one of those schools), but some schools (the great employers like Cairo American College, British International School of Cairo) do manage to rise above the law. Choueifat pays in dollars (approx. $18,500/year) while El Alsson will pay mostly in Egyptian pounds w/ a sterling supplement (salary varied depending on your experience, but it should come in around the same as Choueifat for a new teacher). I think you'll find other schools will try and offer you x% local, x% foreign currency to help those teachers who are saving a percentage of their paycheck, whilst still saving the school a bit on the exchange rate.

I've rambled on, but I do have a point here! Smile By paying you in Egyptian pounds, it's quite possible that the salary you are quoted works when you sign the contract, but not so later on. Buying dollars is not always easy, as crazy as that sounds. There is a thriving black market for currency exchange. Banks will buy any dollars you have to sell, but there are times when you won't be able to buy it back. This basically stinks when you're trying to save money. End of year becomes a scramble for teachers paid in local currency to get their hands on the dollar, euro, or pound. This is not such a great concern if you won't be trying to save, but it can be a source of stress when you are trying to get money sent home on a regular basis.

I think aside from Sakkara, the schools I've mentioned will pay well above $1000/monthly (likely in the $1500 range) and should provide you w/ some sort of accommodation (expect it to be a small stipend, if not a shared flat provided by them).

In terms of hours...it will vary. You should expect to be on campus from 7:30-4:00 at most schools, or sometimes until 3:00 if you're teaching primary aged children. Choueifat had me teaching 23 periods, but I had so many other duties (playground watch, late room supervision, etc.), that I was actually working more than the 30 period limit that my colleagues in primary and secondary operated under. Other schools won't set a limit at all...you teach when they need you within those working hours. Hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: