Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone taught via the Ministry of Education?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Has anyone taught via the Ministry of Education? Reply with quote

I run a recruiting company for certified teachers looking to teach in international schools overseas and we've been approached by Singapore's Ministry of Education about possibly recruiting for them as well. We don't know any teachers personally who have taught for them and were wondering what it's really like... has anyone taught for them? If so, can you comment on the benefits they provide, the assistance in getting set up in Singapore, teaching experience, the quality of life, etc.??

Any input/opinions would be greatly appreciated, as we don't want to recommend anything to teachers that we wouldn't do ourselves!
Pinchy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone taught via the Ministry of Education? Reply with quote

christee wrote:

Any input/opinions would be greatly appreciated, as we don't want to recommend anything to teachers that we wouldn't do ourselves!

If you are serious about placing teachers in MOE schools in Singapore, then you owe it to those people to get to Singapore and find out all this information first-hand.
k1w1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Pinchy. I applied to the MOE through some very dodgy recruiters, who jerked my chain so many times and eventually asked me to do a few things I had a major problem with (one example - colour scan all my documents: passport, degrees/teaching certs, birth certificate, marriage certificate and send all these to a third party recruiter that was completely separate from them and from the MOE. Then they told me NOT to contact this company under any circumstances.) Yeah right...

By that stage, I had been in Singapore for a while, and had been teaching Singaporean kids so I had a reasonable grasp of their english abilities and curriculum. I was really interested in working in public schools for these reasons. I also knew that there was no way the building that I was being asked to send my highly confidential documents to had a reputable recruitment agent in it!

In the end, I wrote directly to the MOE and complained about how appalling their recruitment was, and how badly they were going to be perceived by would-be applicants, and withdrew my application. I reminded them that there are a number of less-than-favourable recruiters based in Asia who think nothing of ripping off Western identities and stealing from them. They responded and were clearly disturbed by the whole fiasco, saying that the recruitment company that had contacted had hired a third agent they were not aware of.

I would recommend anyone interested in working at MOE to apply to them directly as they were both prompt and professional with me. The local kids are fantastic, and I think working in local schools would be a great experience too. It is an option I would consider one day, but I am now in a long term contract elsewhere.

Christee, you should also fix the link in your handle because your website doesn't even work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: