Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grandfather from Switzerland - can I get EU passport?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albulbul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: EU residence rights for Helvetians Reply with quote

I was taught that a scholar and a gentleman always quotes his sources. Could you tell us the source of this information ?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: switzerland. Reply with quote

After the elections the largest single party is the SVP and it looks increasingly unlikely that the Swiss will jmpove towards EU membership. They take a firmly nationalist line and want to have nothing to do with the EU - or for that matter the UN.

So forget about your Swiss passport and look for ancestors from Ireland or Ruritania.
lajzar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They take a firmly nationalist line and want to have nothing to do with the EU - or for that matter the UN.

That'll be why they recently became teh newest member of the UN then won't it Twisted Evil
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Svizzera Reply with quote

The elections of which I speak happened last week - long after the government agreed that Switzerland should join the UN.

Now the SVP is the largest single party: nationalist, anti-foreigner, anti-EU and anti-UN.

Given the path of European and World History since 1914 I think they have my sympathies.
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To come back to the original questions:
- No, the poster cannot obtain an EU passport. WIth some luck, he will
get a Swiss passport.
- A Swiss passport currently relegates its bearer to the same queues
as holders of Third-World countries who have to have a visa in
their passport when arriving anywhere in the EU;
- but this is going to change over the next couple of years, with
Switzerland becoming an associated member of the EU, meaning
it grants, and its own citizens enjoy, the right to free movement
across the borders of the EU, and to seek employment anywhere.

I can understand the poster's question as Switzerland probably pays the highest teacher salaries in the whole world.
Followed by Germany.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: National Reply with quote

I think his chances of getting Swiss nationality are small. Another thing to consider is what is the position on dual nationality ? Some states insist that people taking out nationality should renounce their original citizenship.
dagi

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: EU-passport, Swiss nationality Reply with quote

OP, the title of your post made me LMAO!! But I realise that you probably were talking about the nationality of any EU country?!
Anyway, just yesterday Switzerland has signed a bilateral agreement with the EU and by 2007 they want to drop the border controls with the surrounding EU countries and it will also become much easier to work/live in CH when you are from the EU and vice versa.
If you have a CH nationality now, you can move to the EU but in order to get a residency visa you must have a job and otherwise you can be neglected. Citizens of the EU who want to move to CH also must have a job to be able to apply for a residency visa. However nowadays you can move to CH (or to the EU) and stay up to three months to look for a job, which was prohibited before. This is already an improvment because it is much easier to look for a job once you are there than applying from abroad!

If you really want a CH passport you will have to contact the Swiss embassy and apply for it. But I think it's tough, as a foreigner you have to live in Switzerland for about 20 years before you are eligible for a Swiss passport (just to compare: in the Netherlands it is 5 yrs and Germany 10).

And as a previous poster said, if you have good qualifications like a degree for uni you won't need an "EU-pasport", you'll get the job anyway.
For jobs in Switzerland it's best to apply in the beginning of the year when the contingent of 15000 visas is freshly available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: