Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wages: How low can it go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I went to France to study French and found myself being taught by a Pole I would feel swizzed.

Yes, I probably would too - and I assumed that would be the case for the ones I met - that they would encounter resistance or resentment. They were really popular with students, though, and got great feedback. I can't say they were representative of non native English teachers because I didn't meet many but they certainly were quality teachers. I don't think there was a lot of emphasis on where they were from.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Private companies promote lower pay. Reply with quote

Mr. Bourenmouth wrote:
" . . . and 50%, yes 50% of the teaching staff were non-native speakers. Polish, Russian and French. People are getting wise to EFL in the UK, it's on its last legs in its current, language school, form.

The reason that so many universities and language schools like to hire foreigners in the UK is because they don't kick up a fuss and complain about hours, pay, conditions, etc. Many feel their situation to be better than it was back home in Eastern Europe, and simply don't want to mess up a good thing. Some too are being sponsored by the school/college/university and don't rock the boat through fear of losing their visa. In a nutshell, their economic situation is precarious, so they just zip it and give the job a 110%.

One thing that I've noticed recently is that it is not just teaching positions that are going to foreigners, but also admin posts lower down the rung. This of course often pits the British teachers against foreign administrators, meaning that those at the top are able to escape the wrath of the grunts toiling in the trenches. It's a classic case of elites using the divide and conquer routine.

Last edited by slapntickle on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Bourenmouth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Private companies promote lower pay. Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
Mr. Bourenmouth wrote:
" . . . and 50%, yes 50% of the teaching staff were non-native speakers. Polish, Russian and French. People are getting wise to EFL in the UK, it's on its last legs in its current, language school, form.

The reason that so many universities and language schools like to hire foreigners in the UK is because they don't kick up a fuss and complain about hours, pay, conditions, etc. Many feel their situation to be better than it was back home in Eastern Europe, and simple don't want to mess up a good thing. Some too are being sponsored by the school/college/university and don't rock the boat through fear of losing their visa. In a nutshell, their economic situation is precarious, so they just zip it and give the job a 110%.

I just don't agree with you slapntickle. Surely from a marketing perspective the schools will want to hire native speakers. I would be furious if i paid a whole bunch of money to study French in France to find I was fobbed off with a Polish teacher. This is why most of the teachers are highly skilled in hiding the fact that they are foreigners, avoiding the question. Students want native speakers, end of story. They are forced to hire foreigners.

Last edited by Mr. Bourenmouth on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
slapntickle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Private companies promote lower pay. Reply with quote

Mr. Bourenmouth wrote:
I just don't agree with you slapntickle. Surely from a marketing perspective the schools will want to hire native speakers.

Yes, I agree, but these days when schools are having to find their own cash because of government cuts to the university budget, they may find native speakers too costly in terms of pay and fuss caused. As noted above, foreign teflers are often cheaper and tend not to rock the boat. Allied to this fact is that most international students are just interested in graduating and not learning to speak/write English fluently. This is particulary true of Asian and Middle Eastern students who are keeping some universities in the UK solvent. Many may find a native speaker intimidating, while a foreign teacher may have a tendency to be more lenient when dishing out grades.

Quote:
I would be furious if i paid a whole bunch of money to study French in France to find I was fobbed off with a Polish teacher.

I would too, but . . .
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Private companies promote lower pay. Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
Many may find a native speaker intimidating, while a foreign teacher may have a tendency to be more lenient when dishing out grades.
I can't remember the paper or the author, but from my understanding, English as L2 TEFL teachers are generally less forgiving than their NS counterparts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: