Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cost of living Vs salaries in Sophia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philbags

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: cost of living Vs salaries in Sophia? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of coming over to Bulgaria sometime later this year. I'm hoping to do a part time DELTA at Bell tho they havent responded to my enquiries so my info is sketchy. I'm well experienced and professional so I'm hoping to pick up enough part time work to support myself.
Can anybody give me a cost breakdown of living in Sophia, and balance that against possible salaries/freelancing etc?
Any other advice on the current scene re: E.U.etc would be good. I'm British by the way so I'm assuming I can just Waltz in and start working.
Anybody?
Ta
P.
Marjanian

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgaria has one of the lowest (if not the lowest) average salaries in Europe. It's just 180 eu.

I'm not sure how much you would earn as an ESL teacher, but even though the cost of living is low, it's still not that low and most probably this isn't your best bet.
alex_ssf

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from Bulgaria. It's true the salaries there are very low. But if you are planning to live there and teach English for example I am sure you will be earning much more than 180euro, as you are a native speaker. When I was in school we had teachers from America, and I was told at that time they recieved at least 3 times the regular salary of the Bulgarian teachers. At the moment I think you could find a flat for around 300lv. a month, it won't be something great and it might not be very central but the public transport is really cheap... a ticket on the tube is 0.7lv Food is cheap as well, even if you go to some restaurant you could easily have a 10lv feast.... things like bread are 0.5 to 2 lv Smile A 2l bottle of beer is around 2lv if not less. Clubs are either free or around 5lv. Cheese which is something you should definitely try in BG is around 2lv. for 250grams. If you have more questions just send me a message Smile Cheers.. P.S. you might be better off just going to a smaller town, you'll get more or less the same salary and the living cost will be lower Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: