Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

living arrangements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blargityblarg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: living arrangements Reply with quote

I am moving to Moscow to teach EFL and need to arrange living arrangements when I get there. I know Russian and have a few friends there who can help me. To me, a living situation can make or break your transition abroad. I would appreciate suggestions about where to look for a place to live (preferably northish). I am probably willing to spend a little bit more of my budget for a comfortable apt. I don't care about having my own bathroom or a huge room, but I do care if the surroundings are bleak, gloomy, unsafe, dirty, lacking neighborhood charm, or really soviet-like. I hope that is enough info, thanks.
Snegurochka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Question
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: wait until you get there Reply with quote

Dear Blargityblarg:

I agree with you 100%. Where you hang your hat at night can make or break your experience.

Since you already have a position lined up ... and some friends in Moscow who can help you, I would suggest that you do just that. Wait until you arrive ... and take advantage of your Russian friends to help you sort out the best neighborhoods ... and ... more importantly, to help you get a fair deal on the rent.

Even with your excellent Russian language skills, this is something best left to native Russians. If a Landlady or Landlord even suspects that you are a foreigner with cash in your pocket, the rent will magically and suddenly increase.

There may be a few people here on Dave's who can offer you some concrete tips, so I will get out of here now and wish you 'good luck'.

Regards,
keNt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: